Aeroxcraft Brushless Gopro Gimbal

CrashMaster

Yes it arrived today but no instructions or indication how to set it up. It looks very good quality but without instructions I will not take any risk of frying the board. My first thought is how do I connect the camera to the AV because there is no room unless I invert the camera and come out where the gimbal motor is.

CrashMaster

The little pic on the left is a fixed camera and the main picture is from the camera in the gimbal mounted below in the normal place.

Here are some very bad pics of mine - I used my phone not the GoPro to take them. You may be able to see that there is almost no room for the USB but I, luckily have a straight USB connector which will just fit the camera with almost no clearance from the aluminium frame. The preferred 90 degree one will not fit just as with the previous AeroXcraft gopro pro gimbal.

I have also had an e-mail from Rob saying he is working on the manual as we speak and will send me a copy when done.
View attachment 12038View attachment 12039View attachment 12040View attachment 12041

Attachments

• IMAG0684.jpg
    IMAG0684.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 562
  • IMAG0681.jpg
    IMAG0681.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 553
  • IMAG0685.jpg
    IMAG0685.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 473
  • IMAG0686.jpg
    IMAG0686.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 462

B

Bengit

Yes it arrived today but no instructions or indication how to set it up. It looks very good quality but without instructions I will not take any risk of frying the board. My first thought is how do I connect the camera to the AV because there is no room unless I invert the camera and come out where the gimbal motor is.

Is it quick and easy to remove hero3 in order to remove battery for a reset?

B

Bengit

Robs website states

* Gimbal can be configured with the motor on either side of the GoPro to allow use of the USB port OR to have a lens position central with the roll axis.

Does that solve your problem?

CrashMaster

I have the problem about installing the camera solved but not the set-up so no usable gimbal at all - No Instructions at all. What instructions there are state it is also set to accept only 7.4v my system runs 11.1v and have a 5v regulator. Both outside the range so will have to wait now for the software to configure it and instructions on how to do it.

As for removing the camera to change the battery it is exactly the same as the previous version with a fiddly removable panel. I attached some wire to the old one to give it some purchase when removing it.
View attachment 12042

Attachments

• IMAG0688.jpg
    IMAG0688.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 435

Went out and bought a 2S 1300mAh lipo tonight and just hooked it up. Didn't appear to need setting up, gimble held position very well as I moved it about. There was a little judder from time to time, maybe this is the firmware upgrade that was mentioned. Intend to add the 2S to the payload

CrashMaster

I have a couple 7.4v loops used for AV monitor. Are you saying you just hooked it upto the +- on the board and it sprang into life?
How about the RC pitch cable?

B

Bengit

Went out and bought a 2S 1300mAh lipo tonight and just hooked it up. Didn't appear to need setting up, gimble held position very well as I moved it about. There was a little judder from time to time, maybe this is the firmware upgrade that was mentioned. Intend to add the 2S to the payload

What c rating and what weight was the battery, was it one recommended by Aeroxcraft, what made you chose 1300mah? Hope my gimbal will arrive before the weekend so got to get a lipo ready..Thanks

CrashMaster

Are you running your wkm on 14.8v? If so you will be able to alter the input voltage via the setup software when it is made avaible. I have to say it is bad form for Rob to distribute something without manual or software.

I have a couple 7.4v loops used for AV monitor. Are you saying you just hooked it upto the +- on the board and it sprang into life?
How about the RC pitch cable?

Yes that was it, the gimbal went true- horizontally and vertically - as for the rc pitch cable hmm. I'd assumed I would have to alter the attitude of the gimbal to point down via the firmware. Unless you could advise me otherwise. This lack of a manual is a bit of a bummer.

B

Bengit

Yes that was it, the gimbal went true- horizontally and vertically - as for the rc pitch cable hmm. I'd assumed I would have to alter the attitude of the gimbal to point down via the firmware. Unless you could advise me otherwise. This lack of a manual is a bit of a bummer.

Youtube post from Rob

Hi There,

The tilt (and roll) can be controlled from the TX.

We've designed a new housing support bracket that allows use of a USB lead.

The IMU can be placed top or bottom.

We will shipping them with the IMU on the top and with the new USB brackets. More details and pictures will be on the website in a couple of days.

Thanks

Rob

..........If the pitch cannot be altered via my tx, it will be going back.

B

Bengit

Are you running your wkm on 14.8v? If so you will be able to alter the input voltage via the setup software when it is made avaible. I have to say it is bad form for Rob to distribute something without manual or software.

Thanks for the response, yes I run on 14.8v....just ordered a 2s just in case though. Was hoping to get in the air this weekend but the lack of a manual and software will knock that on the head...doh!

Thanks for the response, yes I run on 14.8v....just ordered a 2s just in case though. Was hoping to get in the air this weekend but the lack of a manual and software will knock that on the head...doh!

The 2S battery weighs 84g, since no idea of rating of the gimble controller I bought the battery more on size! Figuring the voltage was as recommended, the battery would just last longer or shorter (not v scientific I know) 20c rating as current demand will not be dramatic.
I'm much more keen to find out how to effect the tilt. Thereare occasions when I want the camera pointing straight down but where and which connections on the circuit board?

CrashMaster

I have searched the internet for the controller board and found some references, mostly in German. I did find a download for B-Gimbal 049A but runs on Windoze only and using Linux means re-booting into Windoze to try it so haven't.
Has anyone had any success with this yet. I am not going to plug anything in until I have some comprehensive instructions and proper software to make the changes. If any of us do and fry the board by using something Rob does not specificity recommend then it is our fault and not his.

Rob it is all very nice to release this gimbal for us loyal AeroXcraft customers but this is becoming annoying. If you had wanted some Beta testers then he should have contacted people to do it not take our money and leave us hanging with a piece of very nice looking junk on the workbench. In the meantime I will have to continue using the VTR-GP, which works well directly form the NAZA with no glitches but weighs in over 100g more than this new one. If I have to add another battery it will defeat the whole object of the exercises.

I also notice there are no instructions for the VTR-GP with the Hoverfly stabilisation on your site either. You really need to update your assistance and support or you will loose customers. Not because the products fail but because without support we will have no alternative.

CrashMaster

The trouble is that the products are good quality and obviously work well but I need this to work correctly, understand how to change it and convince the EuroUAs/CAA it makes little or no difference or even improve my machine or it can not be fitted and used at all.

The trouble is that the products are good quality and obviously work well but I need this to work correctly, understand how to change it and convince the EuroUAs/CAA it makes little or no difference or even improve my machine or it can not be fitted and used at all.

I have recieved a little more info from Rob about Tx connection which I'll post if you wish. My (poor) joke about the chinese was based on experience with rctimer (also building a rct800). I agree about the quality of AeroXcraft.
As a matter of interest I can velcro that 2S vertically onto the inside leg of the landing gear with it's base sitting on the landing tube - with a mini bugee making extra sure it goes nowhere, I use 4S 6500mah and get just 8 mins flight time. How do you get on?
If you don't mind me asking have you signed up to BNUC-S training course?