Sony CX730/740/760 info centre

nicwilke

Hello,
i realized this and other videos with the 740 and i'm enough happy to say that for the price is a good camera.
The only thing that i don't like is how it works with the roll movements. For sure better of most of the camera tried until now.

Sardinia Multirotors

see you

Excellent video.
What gimbal are you using, and what stabilizer?
This would have to be checked best picture quality investment seen in terms of smoothness and clarity. Well done. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

E-Copter

Thank you Fabien,
yes i made some slowly and some fastly just to see how the camera works in all the conditions,
i'm always in test time :)

I will post soon some test with the Cinestar 360 and 3 Radian to see the difference.

Hi,

yes, if you use the Radian then you should be bale to make panoramas very slow and smooth, and more important, with a steady yaw speed on the gimbal, and this will make a great difference. Then, when compresing for vimeo or youtube the compress codec and settings will make it look good, or jerky :))

But that' very nice video, i'm not far from Italy ( i leave in Nice near Monaco), it gives the wish to visit this nice looking place :))

Best regards,
Fabien

Macsgrafs

Hello Ross,
hope nobody got offended then...:nevreness:
The camera is in one of the shops on ebay, don't know them personally but given feedbacks and all the usual checks i do (do your owns, though) i am not worried to share it. Item nr is 221074990454. Usually the trade off for the low price is they ship in 5 to 10 days from purchase.
Claudio

Thanks Claudio, appreciated my friend.

Ross

Brombo

Just a point of view
Hi,

yes, if you use the Radian then you should be bale to make panoramas very slow and smooth, and more important, with a steady yaw speed on the gimbal, and this will make a great difference. Then, when compresing for vimeo or youtube the compress codec and settings will make it look good, or jerky :))

But that' very nice video, i'm not far from Italy ( i leave in Nice near Monaco), it gives the wish to visit this nice looking place :))

Best regards,
Fabien

I'm having lot of problems with the compression, i use the H264 Codec with 1920x1080, 25FPS Output (due to the images are rec at 50p) 5-8 Mbit and VRB double pass, but i still having problems with rotation jerky even when i go slowly in the yaw.

Of course dude, add me on FB and we will keep in contact, when you want to come here just send me a message, we will fly togheter in so beatifull places ;)

Thank you so much Iris ;)

Sardinia Multirotors

E-Copter

Hi,

for compression you can follow the vimeo tutorial, or also there is a very good software that hs been recommended to me and that gives excellent results :

http://www.squared5.com/

I'll add you on FB and yeah if i can come in the area i'll be more than happy to run afew flights with you :)

BEst regards,

Fabien

Michael64

Here is my first video with the Sony CX760V on my Vulcan 900mm Hexa. There ground and aerial shots or with the CX760V, also there was a couple of scenes and some aerial clips from the GH2 as the other CX760V showed up while flying so made the switch out. Got to say I really like this camera for sure.

Michael64

tombrown1

I'm having lot of problems with the compression, i use the H264 Codec with 1920x1080, 25FPS Output (due to the images are rec at 50p) 5-8 Mbit and VRB double pass, but i still having problems with rotation jerky even when i go slowly in the yaw.

Of course dude, add me on FB and we will keep in contact, when you want to come here just send me a message, we will fly togheter in so beatifull places ;)

Thank you so much Iris ;)

Sardinia Multirotors

Beautiful video! Nice work.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
...There ground and aerial shots or with the CX760V, also there was a couple of scenes and some aerial clips from the GH2 as the other CX760V showed up while flying so made the switch out...

Oh goody, a party game.

So, I'd say the CX made its first aerial appearance at 1:09 before the GH2 took over again at 2:05, then the CX came back at 2:35 until 2:43 and then CX took it home from 3:08.

?

Michael64

No winner yet, the GH2 just to clear this up is from 38 seconds to 1:02 and again from 2:03 to 2:20 the rest is the CX760V. All was just out of the box and set to auto I just wanted to see how it would work. I normally run in manual mode and manual focus as as well but this was the exception as I just wanted to get in it in air.

Michael64

Oh goody, a party game.

So, I'd say the CX made its first aerial appearance at 1:09 before the GH2 took over again at 2:05, then the CX came back at 2:35 until 2:43 and then CX took it home from 3:08.

?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
No winner yet, the GH2 just to clear this up is from 38 seconds to 1:02 and again from 2:03 to 2:20 the rest is the CX760V. All was just out of the box and set to auto I just wanted to see how it would work. I normally run in manual mode and manual focus as as well but this was the exception as I just wanted to get in it in air.

Michael64

So actually, I was entirely correct. The ground footage does not count. We know it was taken with a CX because you told us and is therefore not part of the game. The way I wrote it is a bit confusing but I got the times exactly right!

Thank you very much.

The CX is not difficult to tell apart from the GH2. Clarity and colours are both soft.

EDIT:

See the following comparison video between a stock GH2 (i.e. UN-hacked) and a CX-730:

PS. Does anybody know why the MRF video embedding does not work cleanly anymore?

Michael64

Its only really easy to tell in vimeo or youtube because of the compression and conversion of the format. In the original format the CX760 is very close the GH2 BUT only a hacked GH2. But the hacks comes with a price of being unreliable and picky.The only reason it looks so different in youtube and vimeo is the bitrates at which it was recorded and then downgraded during upload to the players. The GH2 I use is a 122mbs and I think and dont quote me the CX760V is at 24 or 28 mbps. But the CX760V is much more reliable all the time which is a plus plus for me.

Michael64

So actually, I was entirely correct. The ground footage does not count. We know it was taken with a CX because you told us and is therefore not part of the game. The way I wrote it is a bit confusing but I got the times exactly right!

Thank you very much.

The CX is not difficult to tell apart from the GH2. Clarity and colours are both soft.

EDIT:

See the following comparison video for confirmation:

PS. Does anybody know why the MRF video embedding does not work cleanly anymore?

SMP

In the same quandry MF (wait for gh3, find small vidcam alternative 730 etc or simply stay with t3i)... unfortunately above Video was conclusive for me; CX pushes saturation, halos on horizon and mushy... that's not gonna work. GH2 fliers are you autofocusing or simply locking off on infinity?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
In the same quandry MF (wait for gh3, find small vidcam alternative 730 etc or simply stay with t3i)... unfortunately above Video was conclusive for me; CX pushes saturation, halos on horizon and mushy... that's not gonna work. GH2 fliers are you autofocusing or simply locking off on infinity?

One point on the CX7XX slightly soft image, it does crisp up very well with software sharpening. An extra post process but reasonably benign.

If you are reasonably satisfied with the Canon, keep using it. If you are not, consider a GH2 anyway. Nobody yet knows what the GH3 is going to deliver - apart from being bigger and heavier. Crucial questions (for our community) like whether or not the a/v video output functions during Record, image quality improved/worse/indifferent compared to GH2, sensor heat build-up rumours etc. remain unanswered so in the meantime we all may as well get on with life.

Of course in the end we will certainly be presented with having to make a compromise of some nature, but in the meantime the GH2 is hard to beat for outright image quality.

I set GH2 focus to manual and (attempt to) set it to infinity. Although the GH2 has a focus bar the focus range still exceeds infinity and starts blurring again way before reaching the 'mountain' icon. I rely more upon a wide lens and small aperture.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Has anyone on here by chance flown the cx760 from a real heli? I brought the nex5n up in the r44 last night and I was amazed at how well it did compared to my 7d. It only makes me think how much better the BOSS could do fighting the 400rpm pulse from the heli. I'm editing some shots but what a dream!

View attachment 7526View attachment 7527

Attachments

• DSC00868.jpg
    DSC00868.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC00855.jpg
    DSC00855.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 356

ZAxis

Has anyone on here by chance flown the cx760 from a real heli? I brought the nex5n up in the r44 last night and I was amazed at how well it did compared to my 7d. It only makes me think how much better the BOSS could do fighting the 400rpm pulse from the heli. I'm editing some shots but what a dream!

I have had the Sony up in a 2 seat light aircraft & the results were pretty spectacular. even with the airframe full of noise it was extremely stable. Just a pity there wasn't much room to move about in the cockpit!
Lec

tombrown1

One point on the CX7XX slightly soft image, it does crisp up very well with software sharpening. An extra post process but reasonably benign.

If you are reasonably satisfied with the Canon, keep using it. If you are not, consider a GH2 anyway. Nobody yet knows what the GH3 is going to deliver - apart from being bigger and heavier. Crucial questions (for our community) like whether or not the a/v video output functions during Record, image quality improved/worse/indifferent compared to GH2, sensor heat build-up rumours etc. remain unanswered so in the meantime we all may as well get on with life.

Of course in the end we will certainly be presented with having to make a compromise of some nature, but in the meantime the GH2 is hard to beat for outright image quality.

I set GH2 focus to manual and (attempt to) set it to infinity. Although the GH2 has a focus bar the focus range still exceeds infinity and starts blurring again way before reaching the 'mountain' icon. I rely more upon a wide lens and small aperture.

Jeff Scholl has made some remarkable videos with the CX. Hard to argue with the stuff he has put out there.

I'm thinking of purchasing a pj710v - the one with the projector. Anybody know why this might be a bad idea?

TB

edit: looks like the pj710v is 15 grams heavier and has the same optics and BOSS. It's also about $400-$500 less.