How to hijack a Drone!

ghaynes

This was in the news in the US about a month ago. This team also recently testified before the US Congress. But there seems to be some type of agenda going on from the researchers. Think about it. Their premise is that civilian GPS can be spoofed unlike military which can and often is encrypted. So if that is true why would a bad guy spoof a drone. If you can do that then spoof a real airplane on a GPS instrument approach. Now that message might get some real attention... In fact they address this in their written testimony pointing out the vulnerability for aviation, maritime and other users of GPS. Actually they talk more about those than the simple UAV problem. http://radionavlab.ae.utexas.edu/images/stories/files/papers/Testimony-Humphreys.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

I think you can spoof a car's GPS and make the driver think that they are going to a certain location.

If my multicopter behave badly, I just switch to "Attitude Mode".

Spoofing may be a good solution to protect areas from drone attacks/incursions.

FerdinandK

If you still have control over it, and still have a video-signal, that is possible (to switch to an non-GPS-supported mode). It is much easier to disturb the rc-connection, and the video-connection, than to emulate a different GPS-Signal. The way out of this is NOT to rely on GPS, to find options/sensors for an FC, that allow PH,RTH without GPS-signal (or anything similar).

best regards

Feridnand