XAircraft SuperX

noid1037

so I looked up on website and it appears they come programmed with Simon K firmware, the question next is, do I need to go thru the process of running each ESC with the AR-9020 receiver?

noid1037

I am working on the system. I have removed the servo lead to port X on the XA I/O to the battery port of the receiver AR-9020. When I power up the system via the 4S battery the light from the XA controller is still solid green. It appears from the above comments I do not have to calibrate the ESC's with the Spektrum AR-9020 receiver. But I cannot get into the calibrate mode as demo'd in the video on the website by toggling the switch the fast mode switch. It seems that there is some error still for I cannot get the led to come off of its solid green, there is not a state in the manual that explains the solid green... any ideas or help?

Thanks

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You still need to do the calibration. You don't need to do any additional "PROGRAMMING" of the ESCs when simonk is installed.

Calibrate the the esc the way I described earlier.

I am am not sure what the solid green is all about. Try powering it up and plugging it into the computer and see if it's showing up.

kloner

Aerial DP
finally got this thing out in the real world and shot it down the tracks. 1100mm hex with u7's, 20,000 mah of 6s for a little stress testing

http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2014_07_16_110757.591_75.1.06.04

figured out the compass thing, had replaced the mast with a dji and used a hollow cf tube for the mast. it was twisty or whatever.

overall it feels really solid, easy to fly, great altitude control and fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it's sitting there in the processing quene, 93% when i hit go.... it was no gimbal, 18" on 490kv u7. This one was with gh4.... got super windy after sunrise so i backed off the aggressiveness. by the time i hit that train it was 15-25 and was everything i could do to slow fly it. was messing with modes and got into a hand held follow mode by accident on this one.

http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2014_07_16_110757.591_76.1.04.43

that's at 32 lbs AUW, 3 axis gimbal, 20 amp hours of 6s....

Av8Chuck

Cool stuff.

I thought you were going to fly through the box car.. Is that 4K?

Are you diggin the SuperX?

kloner

Aerial DP
now that my esc are syncing right it's really nice to fly. if it gets bouncy it's big slow bounces.... gps mode is really solid and i'm not much of one for that kinda thing.

flew an epic on it the other day in 12knt wind and it made some howling sound. Gotta go over the props one more time, think one or more needs a better tune. after seeing it fall from the sky i'm sensitive to the howl. we were 37lbs ish

Av8Chuck

All that on a Hex? That's pretty impressive.

I've seen quite a few, how to put this politely, posers, lately with 1800 Octo's with 23" props, A2, they weren't lifting that much and they were slow and cumbersome and ALL three of them crashed.

Have you tried removing a prop to see how the SuperX would handle it?

kloner

Aerial DP
True, not exactly a normal motor out condition.... I'm hoping the new firmware includes a motor out algorithym. As it is on my jib with a2 when we start to loose a motor it directly affects the performance way before it shuts off. i can tell you the second it starts to go when you got a real payload under em. it's like a flat tire on a car

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner,

sorry if you covered this already - but what ended up fixing your ESC sync issue???

ive been having a hell of a time with 2 sets of different ESCs. I just got off the phone with John at AddicticeRC, and he mentioned solving the issue for 2 clients with my same frame by not using the built in Tarot PDB. The slightly "off" copper runs of the internal PDB was enough to make the superx freak out. I'll be slapping a squid on there and see if this finally solves my xaircraft woes.....

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Kloner,

sorry if you covered this already - but what ended up fixing your ESC sync issue???

ive been having a hell of a time with 2 sets of different ESCs. I just got off the phone with John at AddicticeRC, and he mentioned solving the issue for 2 clients with my same frame by not using the built in Tarot PDB. The slightly "off" copper runs of the internal PDB was enough to make the superx freak out. I'll be slapping a squid on there and see if this finally solves my xaircraft woes.....

What motors. The U7 490KV motors do not like 90% of the ESC's on the market. I know Kloner has some of the same issues I was having. Now T-motor recommends ONLY unsung the T-Motor 80 amp ESC and it's been flawless (runs hot, but they say it's ok!)..

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
We were typing at the same time.
HAHAH

Im running a much more simple setup thank you folks with sunnysky 3508-580kv, and have tried both hobbywing platinum pro 30A OPTO and modded ZTW spider OPTO with simonk. Both had issues (but different). Problem is, I swapped the superx for a Naza V2 and the rig worked perfectly....except for the way it flew :).

It proved to me that I like the superx flight characteristics much more....when it works. And since it's had these ESC issues, it hasn't worked on the rig a lot. Hoping this power distro fix solves it.

Ironically, i think I'll be pulling the superx for a KDE rig anyway, but at this point I just need to solve the problem for my own peace of mind, since xaircraft doesn't seem willing/able to help...

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I've had the SuperX on 10 different rigs from Quads to Octos and the only problem I had ended up being a bad motor. Which took me 4 FC's 2 full sets of ESC's and many many head scratching sessions to find as the motors never had a crash or any issue and looked and felt great. Only when I took a slomo video of the rig spooling up did I notice #5 was different.

Anyways.. unless it truly is a ESC issue, I think you may have something else at play.

My SuperX's have been flawless with almost any rig I put them on. (except XY8)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm really hoping it's this same issue Johns clients had. Slightly bad PDB causing weirdness.

The fact that a few others are having the same (one guy exact, others similar) issue as I am - and that the Naza worked fine, tells me that it may not be a motor. But I could be wrong. Were you BB logs showing fine for that motor?

Mike SF

Banned
Yesterday, I just flew my new quad for the first time. SuperX, T-motor MN3510-13 700kv, Hobbywing Platinum Pro 30A OPTO, Taranis, X8R receiver. It's probably a little early to tell, but so far I had no problems with arming the ESCs. I calibrated them with -89/+100 endpoints and then reset the endpoints to -100/+100. Not that it matters too much, since I already decided to upgrade to KDE motors and probably the Castle Cr. ESCs. Since it's a quad and I will carry a gimbal and camera worth almost $2000, I want the highest available quality in motors and ESCs.

With my other SuperX rig (4kg Y6, Avrotos, ZTW Spider 30A OPTO) I have one ESC that sometimes doesn't start. Played around a lot with the ESC calibration until I finally gave up. It usually arms on the second try. I believe this is either an issue with the SuperX or a power race condition.

The new quad wobbles a lot and I had to turn down the gains by around 50%. But then it becomes sluggish. The black box shows very low vibrations (0.2-0.5) and the motors are all vertically aligned. But it's an FPV style frame (kind of like the QAV500, just bigger), with a certain asymmetry and a CG that is very much in the back. I will change the arm positions, to make it symmetric and make sure the CG is correct and then try again. I will report back in a few days.