XAircraft SuperX

DH106

Quick update on my Quad crash last weekend:

I'm now convinced that the issue was a power failure, possibly caused by the low temperture on the main LiPo connector (which wasn't all that tight anyway). The reason for thinking this is that in the video, it's evident that the the camera's gimbal mount (a Tarot T2D) also seems to fail immediately the Quad motors stop - it makes no attempt to keep the camera picture level, the view just tilts with the changing attitude of the Quad as it falls. The gimbal is wired more or less straight to the main LiPo, hence my thinking about the LiPo connector being the culprit.

So I think the SuperX is in the clear ! :-D

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Nice work chasing down the issue - and I'm sure a "whew" moment for many here on this thread :)

After reading your thoughts on the cold effecting the SuperX, I saw a post over on rcgroups that shows a flight in Europe (or Scandinavia?) that looked to be over some pretty cold mountains. So it seems that the FC can handle cold (at least in their case).

But it made me wonder if the FC would prefer to have an acclimation period like the barometer does on the multiwii boards. A 15 minute period for it to become "comfortable" with the exterior temp???

This would be something that Drew or the folks over in china could answer...

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Nice work chasing down the issue - and I'm sure a "whew" moment for many here on this thread :)

After reading your thoughts on the cold effecting the SuperX, I saw a post over on rcgroups that shows a flight in Europe (or Scandinavia?) that looked to be over some pretty cold mountains. So it seems that the FC can handle cold (at least in their case).

But it made me wonder if the FC would prefer to have an acclimation period like the barometer does on the multiwii boards. A 15 minute period for it to become "comfortable" with the exterior temp???

This would be something that Drew or the folks over in china could answer...

Hmm I don't think he has said the cold and Super X are in anyway related! what he is saying is that the cold and the Lipo are probably the cause of the incident, a big difference

David

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hmmm. Earlier in the thread he posed the idea that it may have been the temp when he went up high very quickly.

My gut feeling now is that the SuperX suffered a temporary 'low temperature' failure.

Aerovideo

Quick update on my Quad crash last weekend:

I'm now convinced that the issue was a power failure, possibly caused by the low temperture on the main LiPo connector (which wasn't all that tight anyway). The reason for thinking this is that in the video, it's evident that the the camera's gimbal mount (a Tarot T2D) also seems to fail immediately the Quad motors stop - it makes no attempt to keep the camera picture level, the view just tilts with the changing attitude of the Quad as it falls. The gimbal is wired more or less straight to the main LiPo, hence my thinking about the LiPo connector being the culprit.

So I think the SuperX is in the clear ! :-D

Glad you figured it out. Sounds like a good explanation as well given the gimbal also powered down.

DH106

Thanks for your input guys.
Yes - I did originally suspect the SuperX and the cold temp. because of the fact that no Log file was written, but that now makes sense as no Log could be written due to the power failure.
Dharjono:- yes they are XT-60 plugs, how did you guess - have you had problems with them? I will probably change back to Deans as Deans have a positive spring contact made between the two halves.

Dhardjono

Thanks for your input guys.
Yes - I did originally suspect the SuperX and the cold temp. because of the fact that no Log file was written, but that now makes sense as no Log could be written due to the power failure.
Dharjono:- yes they are XT-60 plugs, how did you guess - have you had problems with them? I will probably change back to Deans as Deans have a positive spring contact made between the two halves.

No problem they are hard to pull out xt60 except 1 that was easy to plug in that one i will change to a new one but those should be good contact and best for plug batteries.I use to use dean plug but that when i was racing r/c cars.

Dhardjono

Gui about tab

Has any one check the GUI ABOUT TAB FLIGHT TIME when is it time to start changing esc ,motor i already have 23 hour on mine just don't want to have a failure up there.

View attachment 15800 :angel:

Attachments

• GUI ABOUT.jpg
    GUI ABOUT.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 292

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
No problem they are hard to pull out xt60 except 1 that was easy to plug in that one i will change to a new one but those should be good contact and best for plug batteries.I use to use dean plug but that when i was racing r/c cars.

I put a dab of silicone spray on my finger and wiped it onto the XT-60 side that makes contact. Makes it a little easier to pull apart, but it's still quite secure. Makes it fit together/come apart with slightly less effort, but craft vibration would still not pull it apart in flight.

Of course, be sure to not get any on the outside of the connector, or you'll get yourself into an Abbott & Costello routine trying to pull them apart. :)

Dhardjono

I put a dab of silicone spray on my finger and wiped it onto the XT-60 side that makes contact. Makes it a little easier to pull apart, but it's still quite secure. Makes it fit together/come apart with slightly less effort, but craft vibration would still not pull it apart in flight.

Of course, be sure to not get any on the outside of the connector, or you'll get yourself into an Abbott & Costello routine trying to pull them apart. :)

A must try thanks for tip.

I was looking at the new video of Stella i notice the xt60 plug what is that they are using between the xt 60 plug look's like a shrink wrap!View attachment 15801

Attachments

• xt 60 plug.jpg
    xt 60 plug.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited by a moderator:

Electro 2

....the xt60 plug what is that they are using between the xt 60 plug look's like a shrink wrap!

Not. The battery in use has an XT90 on it, the aircraft/gimbal has an XT60, the shrink wrap covers an XT90-to-XT60 adapter. Commonly used for this application.

Electro 2

good to know never saw that type before

They're not really that popular. Same basic design as the 60, just bigger, with more "meat". Probably not really necessary for MRs. The XT60s will ship 100A for brief spurts with no issues, more than enough for a multi. The absolute peak currents that are possible in an MR are limited by the source resistance of the pack itself and the composite of the losses in the power distribution system, wiring, ESCs, etc. You might see higher than 100A for a few hundred milliseconds, but not longer.

chad2323

Well finally got my Qav400 Built with the SuperX. The build turned out pretty good nice and clean. Unfortunately I don't like the way it flies with the SuperX. It almost feels like the time I had it on the TBS. It feels very sloppy tried different gains and a few other things but just not liking how it flies. I love the SuperX on my 650 it flies like a dream so little disappointed.

View attachment 15859

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 156

kloner

Aerial DP
chad, i'd try taking off the gps puck and see if it helps...... that puck is so big on that little frame i'd bet it's making it physicaly unstable. if nothing else try taping it to the frame and take the stand off

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner, with all due respect, you gotta be kidding right? The puck is big, no doubt, but making it unstable? I trust you though, if you say so.......

chad2323

I tried it with a smaller post didn't make much of a difference. Had a friend come over and give it a go and he said the same thing it just don't have that lock in feel.