Things They Do Not Tell You

Chris, you can just do what bensid said and go outside and start the motors up per his procedure. My concern is that, if you don't even know what flight mode you are in (e.g. GPS, Attitude, Failsafe, or Manual), you'll get it in the air and then not be able to effectively control it and possibly crash it. But if you power it up, and the only LED color you see is a single or double green blink, you're good to go for taking off in GPS mode. However, in its trip across the country, I have a feeling you'll need to calibrate the Compass at a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris, you can just do what bensid said and go outside and start the motors up per his procedure. My concern is that, if you don't even know what flight mode you are in (e.g. GPS, Attitude, Failsafe, or Manual), you'll get it in the air and then not be able to effectively control it and possibly crash it. But if you power it up, and the only LED color you see is a single or double green blink, you're good to go for taking off in GPS mode. However, in its trip across the country, I have a feeling you'll need to calibrate the Compass at a minimum.

This is what Ken said:

There are three possible modes you will be able to fly in, what DJI calls ATTI and is basically an autolevel with altitude hold, GPS which adds position hold to the ATTI mode (you can also fly around slowly with GPS on), and IOC or Intelligent Orientation Control or what some people call carefree mode. You can combine IOC with either of the two other modes and what it does is maintain control of the 550 as though it is constantly "tail-in" to you regardless of which way the front is actually pointing. For the beginning I recommend you use IOC along with GPS mode as you can literally put the controller on the ground and the 550 will sit right where it is. Initially you won't need to worry about orientation, just get it off the ground and regardless of which way you turn it will still respond the same way to the controls, once you build some confidence in your piloting ability you can switch off the IOC if you want and learn how to control the 550 as it faces other directions. Or not, it will fly perfectly fine with IOC on all the time if that's what you feel comfortable with.

Based on what Ken saidThe GPS-ATTI switch is on GPS and the OCI ON/OFF switch is on ON.
As I understand it, this is the best configuration with which to start.

But now calibrating the Compass adds one more thing to confuse an old man whose just trying to make aerial videos.

What I need guys, is a step by step procedure for flying my Big Bird and explanations along the way as to what I am doing and why I am doing it. Right now . . . I am going to bed

Chris,
So that you safely get the MR in the air, you'll need to know at least the following.
1- Do you know which is the front of the MR? I'm presuming this is an instant 'yes', but just checking.
2- Do you know which switch in the transmitter turns GPS mode on or off? If yes, then flip the switch to GPS.
3- Do you know which switch on the transmitter turns the IOC modes on or off? If yes, then I recommend flipping the switch to Off for your first get-off-the-ground maiden flight.

If the answer is "no" to any of the questions above, we need to help you figure that out since we don't know how Ken setup your MR. As I said before, if you wish you can go straight to bensid's post above and follow the instructions to arm the motors and get it off the ground. I just think that you will lessen your chances of an accident if you know the answer to the above three questions.

Chris,
F you haven't already, I would also recommend you revisit post #52 earlier in this thread from ChrisViper. He gave you a couple of good link for a document and a video that will help you get your MR off the ground and understand what we are talking about when we talk about calibrating the compass, and GPS switches, and IOC modes.

Chris,
So that you safely get the MR in the air, you'll need to know at least the following.
1- Do you know which is the front of the MR? I'm presuming this is an instant 'yes', but just checking.
2- Do you know which switch in the transmitter turns GPS mode on or off? If yes, then flip the switch to GPS.
3- Do you know which switch on the transmitter turns the IOC modes on or off? If yes, then I recommend flipping the switch to Off for your first get-off-the-ground maiden flight.

If the answer is "no" to any of the questions above, we need to help you figure that out since we don't know how Ken setup your MR. As I said before, if you wish you can go straight to bensid's post above and follow the instructions to arm the motors and get it off the ground. I just think that you will lessen your chances of an accident if you know the answer to the above three questions.

Yes to all three questions. Ken has labled the switches and (referring to post #125) he recommended switching the IOC mode to ON. You recommend switching it to OFF.

Great to know! I missed that post, so that was why I was going the route of the Assistant Software to figure that out.

So, IOC has two "on" modes, one is Course Lock, and the other is Home Lock. If you understand them, then turn one of them on, no problem. Again, I was saying Off only because I did not know he had labeled the switches for you already. The two IOC modes do definitely make it easier and less "mental stress" whle flying.

So OFF basically means that left/right/forward/back and referenced to how the aircraft is oriented while you are flying it. So you need to know where the nose is pointing throughout the whole flight.

COURSE lock means that left/right/forward/back is based on how the aircraft is oriented when you turn on the MR. If you imagine that you placed your MR under a goalpost on a football field facing the other endzone, then plug in the battery. Then, throughout your flight forward will mean "fly towards the other endzone", and back means "come back to this endzone". Left means the left sideline, and right the right sideline. This will remain this way even if you spin the MR in circles and the nose is pointing who-knows-where.

HOME lock means the left/right/forward/back are based on where the aircraft is relative to where it turned on. So if you power up the MR and takeoff, then stand where the MR took off from, then left and right are always from where you are looking at the MR. Forward just means "move further away in the same direction you already are." So if the MR is northeast of that spot, forward means "keep moving northeast" even if the nose is pointing south. So in HOME lock, Back always means "come back to me". The downside of HOME lock is that it only works when you are more than 30 feet away from where you take off.

So pick the IOC mode that you feel most confortable with, and go have some fun!

Great to know! I missed that post, so that was why I was going the route of the Assistant Software to figure that out.

So, IOC has two "on" modes, one is Course Lock, and the other is Home Lock. If you understand them, then turn one of them on, no problem. Again, I was saying Off only because I did not know he had labeled the switches for you already. The two IOC modes do definitely make it easier and less "mental stress" whle flying.

So OFF basically means that left/right/forward/back and referenced to how the aircraft is oriented while you are flying it. So you need to know where the nose is pointing throughout the whole flight.

COURSE lock means that left/right/forward/back is based on how the aircraft is oriented when you turn on the MR. If you imagine that you placed your MR under a goalpost on a football field facing the other endzone, then plug in the battery. Then, throughout your flight forward will mean "fly towards the other endzone", and back means "come back to this endzone". Left means the left sideline, and right the right sideline. This will remain this way even if you spin the MR in circles and the nose is pointing who-knows-where.

HOME lock means the left/right/forward/back are based on where the aircraft is relative to where it turned on. So if you power up the MR and takeoff, then stand where the MR took off from, then left and right are always from where you are looking at the MR. Forward just means "move further away in the same direction you already are." So if the MR is northeast of that spot, forward means "keep moving northeast" even if the nose is pointing south. So in HOME lock, Back always means "come back to me". The downside of HOME lock is that it only works when you are more than 30 feet away from where you take off.

So pick the IOC mode that you feel most confortable with, and go have some fun!

You say IOC has two "on" modes. I only have a 2 position switch available so Ken has set it up so that IOC is either ON or OFF. He said, "There are three possible modes you will be able to fly in, what DJI calls ATTI and is basically an autolevel with altitude hold, GPS which adds position hold to the ATTI mode (you can also fly around slowly with GPS on), and IOC or Intelligent Orientation Control or what some people call carefree mode. You can combine IOC with either of the two other modes and what it does is maintain control of the 550 as though it is constantly "tail-in" to you regardless of which way the front is actually pointing. For the beginning I recommend you use IOC along with GPS mode as you can literally put the controller on the ground and the 550 will sit right where it is. Initially you won't need to worry about orientation, just get it off the ground and regardless of which way you turn it will still respond the same way to the controls, once you build some confidence in your piloting ability you can switch off the IOC if you want and learn how to control the 550 as it faces other directions. Or not, it will fly perfectly fine with IOC on all the time if that's what you feel comfortable with." This leads me to believe I am missing the home lock setting. Am I right?

bensid54

Have you tried to arm the motors? You don't have to fly it just arm the motors at least that will give you confirmation that you are on the right path.

bensid54

Sorry I didn't read the last group of posts. If I was you Chris I would leave the lock off until you learn how to herd the machine around in GPS mode. I've been flying helicopters for years now and using ATT lock or home lock is something you really don't want to try just yet because I had a tough time getting used to that one. The reason for that is it doesn't always lock in the direction you think it should and that alone can make a crash possible so we all have to start with baby steps. I get the sense you want it all at once I'm the same way but with these things I'm learning to take it one step at a time. Oh yes and start with a big field on your first flight very useful when things go sideways.

bensid54

Have you downloaded the Naza assist because if you have you can check all your settings and confirm what switches do what when hooked up to your computer.

Sorry I didn't read the last group of posts. If I was you Chris I would leave the lock off until you learn how to herd the machine around in GPS mode. I've been flying helicopters for years now and using ATT lock or home lock is something you really don't want to try just yet because I had a tough time getting used to that one. The reason for that is it doesn't always lock in the direction you think it should and that alone can make a crash possible so we all have to start with baby steps. I get the sense you want it all at once I'm the same way but with these things I'm learning to take it one step at a time. Oh yes and start with a big field on your first flight very useful when things go sideways.

You missed another post ben, in which I said, "In regard to the gimbal Ken, I think that's a bit down the road. I certainly intend to install one, but I'm really quite a methodical guy. I like to take things step by step and use the utmost caution in doing so. It will be awhile before I endanger my precious GoPro 3 to the whims of the wind." So if I gave you the impression that I want it all at once ben I'm sorry. If anything, you guys are giving me more than I can digest and take step by step, but I think I can sort it out.

Chris

Chris, we are sort of at a loss because we don't know how Ken programmed certain things.
You said IOC mode was on a two-position switch. Ken could have programmed that with any two combinations of OFF, COURSE lock, or HOME lock. Unless he has it labeled, the only way we can find out for sure is by viewing it with the Naza Software Assistant.

That takes us back to something you asked earlier. The current versions are V3.16 for the Naza firmware (what is embedded in the Naza), and V2.16 for the Software Assistant (the PC software you run). It sounds like you have V2.16 of the Assistant Software running, can you confirm that the Naza has? You can do so by clicking on the Upgrades tab in the Software Assistant. Regardless of the firmware version, you may be able to still confirm what your IOC switch is programmed to do by going to the Advanced tab, then selecting IOC.

Let us know what you find out.

Chris, we are sort of at a loss because we don't know how Ken programmed certain things.
You said IOC mode was on a two-position switch. Ken could have programmed that with any two combinations of OFF, COURSE lock, or HOME lock. Unless he has it labeled, the only way we can find out for sure is by viewing it with the Naza Software Assistant.

That takes us back to something you asked earlier. The current versions are V3.16 for the Naza firmware (what is embedded in the Naza), and V2.16 for the Software Assistant (the PC software you run). It sounds like you have V2.16 of the Assistant Software running, can you confirm that the Naza has? You can do so by clicking on the Upgrades tab in the Software Assistant. Regardless of the firmware version, you may be able to still confirm what your IOC switch is programmed to do by going to the Advanced tab, then selecting IOC.

Let us know what you find out.

I will once again repeat what Ken said, "There are three possible modes you will be able to fly in, what DJI calls ATTI and is basically an autolevel with altitude hold, GPS which adds position hold to the ATTI mode (you can also fly around slowly with GPS on), and IOC or Intelligent Orientation Control or what some people call carefree mode. You can combine IOC with either of the two other modes and what it does is maintain control of the 550 as though it is constantly "tail-in" to you regardless of which way the front is actually pointing. For the beginning I recommend you use IOC along with GPS mode as you can literally put the controller on the ground and the 550 will sit right where it is. Initially you won't need to worry about orientation, just get it off the ground and regardless of which way you turn it will still respond the same way to the controls, once you build some confidence in your piloting ability you can switch off the IOC if you want and learn how to control the 550 as it faces other directions. Or not, it will fly perfectly fine with IOC on all the time if that's what you feel comfortable with." That would seem to indicate that it is the Home Lock that I do not have. As I asked before, am I right? If so, then it is the Course Lock and OFF that I can choose with my two position switch. Is that correct?

Sorry, Chris, no you are not right, and you don't need to repeat things over and over.
As I said, he could have programmed the two way switch to be any two combinations. If I had to guess, he set it up for OFF and HOME lock.

Sorry, Chris, no you are not right, and you don't need to repeat things over and over.
As I said, he could have programmed the two way switch to be any two combinations. If I had to guess, he set it up for OFF and HOME lock.

From what Ken said it seems obvious that he chose COURSE LOCK over HOME LOCK. Explain why that doesn't make sense. From what Ken said it seems he was defining COURSE LOCK and not HOME LOCK. Let's have an opinion from someone else out there. If I am in error please tell me why I am in error and where I am in error. If I don't have my errors explained to me I will never learn anything.

Chris