XAircraft SuperX

noid1037

I appreciate the assistance.... Im going to take baby steps... as one of old co-workers to use as a method to move a project along....
I have the X-Aircraft I/O v2 connected to the Spektrum AR9020 recevier and the 4 Spider 30A Opto ESC's connected.

The first time I powered up the whole quad with the AR9020 binding with the DX9 the LED from the X-Aircraft is a solid green with a ting of yellow. Is this normal on the initial start up without calibrating anything?
I will start he calibration mode once I know that this is cool... I didnt see this look in the video demo on the X-Aircraft website. Thanks for your expert help!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm no expert - but I can say that you don't need to fear this thing :)

keep the props off. Do the calibration. If you start stick calibration (flipping flight mode switch fast) and you don't get the flashing lights the manual describes, then you have a problem. Until then, let's just go on the assumption that everything is moving along swimmingly....

noid1037

Thanks for keeping the spirits high! I dont fear this setup, just dont want to have a mis-hap and spend more money :) Oh those fateful words. I do have the props off as the precaution!

As I power cycle the transmitter DX9 the led will cycle off as well on the receiver, a very encouraging sign.

The issue with the LED from the X-Aircraft Controller though troubling me. When I power cycle the quad the X-Aircraft LED will flash red several times 4-6 times quickly and then the X-Aircraft tone and solid green light will occur simultaneous.

I will toggle the safe mode switch numerous times as indicated in the demo video, there is no change in the X-Aircraft LED status.

I have selected the different flight modes and the X-Aircraft LED did not change. Currently the X-Aircraft LED is always a greenish solid tint.

I double-triple checked all the the servo connections and all is wired correctly.

I removed the ESC servo connections and the same results are as above.

Looks like I need to contact X-Aircraft to determine another solution. Im not sure what else to try.....

Photo Elevate

Gravity always wins!!!
I may be able to help on this one as I use a Spektrum DX7 with the super X.

The X expansion port is used for SBUS on Futarba systems. It can also be used as gimbal tilt control from spare channel on TX.

Even when using Opto ESC's you do not connect this to Spektrum receiver, as power is supplied to RX via built in BEC on FC, ( aileron channel)

Connect Super X to computer and select correct copter and ESC types.

Calibrate RC neutral point, RC reverse and compass.as per manual.

When you are happy with all settings you will need to rebind the Spektrum RX using the SmartSafe technique.

This will store all settings for signal loss and return to home and land functions.

Hope this helps.

noid1037

PH,
Thanks for the information. I am NEWB, as I understand from your statement. Let me clarify and understand it all....

Do not power the Spektrum AR-9020 from port X, correct?
The next comment:

Even when using Opto ESC's you do not connect this to Spektrum receiver, as power is supplied to RX via built in BEC on FC, ( aileron channel)

Im cloudy on... Im not in the lingo of your terminology... what port is supplying power to the AR-9020 receiver? I shouldnt go directly from the X-Aircraft I/O v2 box to the receiver, or is this how the receiver is getting power and not port X?

I have connected the computer and made all the correct selections, the current firmware is 1.8.0.... is there a higher version that should be installed?

You mention the SmartSafe technique to rebind the receiver, is this with the binding plug and the normal turn the DX-9 on with holding down the binding button?

Thanks for the help on this!

noid1037

I was looking to see if either selection would work, if I could get into safe mode or move thru the three flight modes, thats why I mentioned the two different issues. Looks like there is supplemental assistance coming from Photo Elevate which is helpful and hopefully by weeks end as I get time we can work thru these issues! Thanks so much to group for the help! I have read the whole forum on this and getting clarity to see my way thru the build is great! You all do a great job staying on top of it!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
PH will definitely be the guy to help you with the Spektrum stuff - but the servo-wire connections between the I/O and your receiver will provide power to the receiver (Rx) through those servo wires, as long as at least 1 servo lead has all three wires (white/red/black) intact. I am assuming you did not remove any wires from the servo leads - so you should be all set. The power will travel down the red (+) and black (-) wires to the Rx to power it.

HERE is a link to the binding. It's on page #9...

The most current firmware for SuperX is 1.0.8. You are up to date.

You're getting there! :)

noid1037

Thanks MOTOPreserve for the response.
to follow up with your posting... I have not removed, modified the red/black/white servo wires.
I have printed out the AR9020 receiver manual and follow those directions.
And thanks for ensuring I have the latest firmware....

Thanks all to the group for the help. Maybe it will help another NEWB in their build with this information.

I had to understand what Photo Elevate was referring to and looked up the BEC on the FC...
Battery Eliminator Circuit on Flight Controller...
Can these be used on a OPTO and other ESC's? Wondering for future builds. So currently the receiver is likely getting power from two sources, the Aeil port and the X port.... can someone tell X-Aircraft to update some of their manual to reflect this information.... they seem to focus all their energy on Futaba and none on other radio combos.

Do the ESC's have to be connected all the time to the Flight Controller I/O, is there a process thats the I/O is calibrating at first or is this process just for radio setup?

The lingo, abbreviations, acronyms are typically what confuses me. My technical skills are pretty high, with other hobbies, work and such. Understanding a new language on the front end has been the rough part. I’m getting there, with research and fellow hobbyists like you. I have helped quite a few people in amateur radio to understand that world over the years.... hopefully I can do the same in the future in this one.
Thanks for the assistance!

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaguru

Thanks MOTOPreserve for the response.
to follow up with your posting... I have not removed, modified the red/black/white servo wires.
I have printed out the AR9020 receiver manual and follow those directions.
And thanks for ensuring I have the latest firmware....

Thanks all to the group for the help. Maybe it will help another NEWB in their build with this information.

I had to understand what Photo Elevate was referring to and looked up the BEC on the FC...
Battery Eliminator Circuit on Flight Controller...
Can these be used on a OPTO and other ESC's? Wondering for future builds. So currently the receiver is likely getting power from two sources, the Aeil port and the X port.... can someone tell X-Aircraft to update some of their manual to reflect this information.... they seem to focus all their energy on Futaba and none on other radio combos.

Do the ESC's have to be connected all the time to the Flight Controller I/O, is there a process thats the I/O is calibrating at first or is this process just for radio setup?

The lingo, abbreviations, acronyms are typically what confuses me. My technical skills are pretty high, with other hobbies, work and such. Understanding a new language on the front end has been the rough part. I’m getting there, with research and fellow hobbyists like you. I have helped quite a few people in amateur radio to understand that world over the years.... hopefully I can do the same in the future in this one.
Thanks for the assistance!

Welcome noid1037, I'm a little ways ahead of you. These forums are a great resource and members like Motopreserve are invaluable in getting airborne. Since diving into my Tarot T960/SuperX build in January I've been amazed at how smart and helpful the members on these boards are.

Regarding your esc question, yes they are hooked up all the time. Typically you will calibrate your throttle range with them attached directly to your receiver, then your I/O will be where they connect to after that.

Hehe.. a few of the key acronyms as my limited post newb understanding is:

BEC = Battery Elimination Circuit (usually provides 5v of power via red servo cable)
PDB = Power distribution board
FC = Flight Controller (Your superx)
IO = Input/Output
TX = Transmitter
RX = Receiver
RSSI = Signal strength of connection between transmitter and receiver in dB's.
SBUS = Smart Bus (multiple i/o channels in one servo cable, the X port on the superx)
ESC = Electronic speed controller
OPTO = Typically an ESC without a BEC
UBEC = Universal battery elimination circuit (voltage regulator or perhaps a step down from battery voltage to another voltage)

noid1037

Mediaguru and any others....
Let me get some details for the next step... should I go thru the X-Aircraft calibration or do a calibration with the ESC's connected to the Spektrum AR-9020 receiver?

Do I need to do each ESC individually to the receiver? Im sure Photo Elevate can very likely chime in on this series of questions?!

A: Should I connect each ESC to a certain port on the AR-9020 and do some kind of throttle calibration > Yes <No?
B: Once I get the receiver AR-9020 connected in the right way to the XA controller, should I go thru the radio calibration highlighted in the XA demo video> Yes <No?

Thanks in advance... again Im coming out of the fog but likely confusing other flight controllers with the XA controller....

Sounds like I need some calrification on the next step? I am reading thru the forum and see other users doing a throttle calibration with the ESC connected to their receiver....

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The ESC throttle cal is best done first. Connect the servo lead of each ESC/motor to the throttle output channel of your receiver (RX) one at a time - and do the following: Power on the radio (Tx) and put the throttle stick all the way up. Power on the quad. You will hear beeps. Then put the throttle stick all the way down. You'll hear more beeps. Power down the quad. Switch to the next ESC and repeat.

They make (or you could make) a harness that will connect all ESCs to the throttle channel output - but it's easy enough to do it one at a time.

After that - plug all servo leads back into the superx and do the stick cal as described in the manual.

noid1037

Thank you MOTO P for the details... I will knock this out tonight and hope by 9:30 PM I can have some positive traction on the build.... nice work on your websites also.

mediaguru

Best to stick to the SuperX manual steps by the letter. Skipping any of it (like I did a couple of times) breaks the process and your setup will not work.

noid1037

The procedures to calibrate the ESC with the receiver are not highlighted in the XA manual so once I complete that portion I can move to the next,... I create manuals for my company in our department.... this is prime for a sticky to add to this section of the forum a step by step on at least a Spektrum radio config and other folk can add their particular setups... in relation to the XA controller. But all is getting less foggy :)_

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The ESC throttle cal is common to all Tx/ESC. It's unrelated to the FC and/or RX (at least in terms of the procedure), which is why it wouldn't be in the XA manual.

In fact, all of the procedures that you do for the superx are the same for all setups - other than the initial assignments of the outputs/switches. So any questions you have about Spektrum/futaba/Taranis etc would be handled by a Spektrum/futaba/Taranis manual or thread...

Photo Elevate

Gravity always wins!!!
Follow the ESC throttle calibration as described by Motopreserve.

I don't think your spider 30A opt ESC's have any other user programmable settings battery type, timing etc.

So you should be good to go.

This is also a good time to check the direction of rotation on each motor and correct if necessary.

Just swap any 2 motor wires to reverse direction.

Hope this helps.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Good call PE. I put a little tape on the motor to tell if it's spinning the correct direction. Prevents sticking your finger too close to where it shouldn't be :)

if the ESCs have SimonK firmware on ot - you definitely don't need to program anything else. That firmware does it for you.