XAircraft SuperX

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Seriously! After having to do the dance with the Vulcan, which is too big to easily spin just in you hands, I have almost fallen over several times. Makes me miss the good old days of tiny 450 size quads that I could flip around without thinking about it. :)

SamaraMedia

Ok, ran through three batteries, mostly successful, no crashes and launches clean!

1) @SleepyC I understand there are three separate calibrations, I've done the first two previous (a couple weeks ago). Do I need to do the throttle mid-stick and throttle range cali each time I plug in a new battery or go flying? I can understand doing the GPS but unclear on the other two (I hope not).

2) Hex did not hod very good position on hover, tended to drift. Checked balance holding alternate arms all around and balance is good. I notice on the last flight that after confirming I have sat's (9 at last count according to OSD) I took off and noticed that the flashing green light had turned yellow, sometime blinking and sometimes solid. When I landed it stayed yellow until I switched to Atti. Flipped back to GPD, still yellow. Took off in Atti, hovered, landed, switched to GPS, green flashing light, took off, went to yellow. Landed, unplugged and called it a day, got to get ready for work. I have some video that I will try to upload later tonight or tomorrow.

*Ditto on the cali dance, feels like the old put forehead to the bat handle spin real fast then take off running. ;)

Thanks for all the help guys. Maybe I'll try to upload Black box data too...

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
You do not have to do the calibrations again. Just one time unless you change radio or esc's or ?

And the yellow is magnetic interference. You probably had zero GSP if the Yellow lights were on, and by that I mean, they were there but interference was causing the rig to just remain in ATTI mode.

SuperX is very sensitive to magnetic interference. I have had rigs that I had to move a lot of the boxes around to avoid it.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Is it possible the GPS was getting some interference? Power lines nearby etc?

Glad you had successful flights. GOS is weird, but no crashes is best :)

EDIT: Sleepy beat me to it - interference is definitely not your friend. If it may be from the craft itself, maybe some copper tape on the bottom of the GPS puck might help.

SamaraMedia

Thanks guys, I have video from my pilot cam which has the OSD on it so I will check the tape. I do believe it was still showing 8-9 sat's. I'll include a photo of my top plate to show where things are mounted later tonight.

SamaraMedia

How long does it normally take to upload your files into the Blackbox? First time attempting this, been saying upload for about 5 minutes...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Should only take a few seconds. Something must be up if it's taking that long. It has been known to go down - but often there is another address that can access it - directly to China or Canada???

SamaraMedia

yeah, just finished uploading. Logged into log.xaircraft.cn. Ok, finally figured out which was most recent flight, doesn't look like it goes by date, very cool though, shows the ballpark I flew at :) So to have you guys see the flight log, do I paste in the url? Or how do you go about posting results for review?

SamaraMedia

^^^^Above link seems to be working now...

And no, I was not flying that close to any players ;)

As I'm going over the log report I'm curious about the esc setting. I have it on Normal esc rather than the UltraPWM setting but considering the esc's I'm using are KDE and have a refresh rate of up to 600Hz would it be better on the Ultra setting?

Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

Thanks fltundra, glad you can understand them. I've seen others posted results and thought they were pretty close, been sifting through the thread to find some to compare to and read comments. Looking out the window and the damn wind just won't quit around here lately, gusts 10-15 just don't make for nice testing.

Motor alignment on this bird is kind of tough since they arms are all cantilevered up few degrees. I set the hex on my granite kitchen island to get a smooth surface then used a dial indicator across the face at the centerline, they seem pretty close but hard to tell. Can't use a straight edge like I do with my Disco Pro.

I might need to up my gains a little reading some reports for heavier hex's and octo's.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
@jwoike I was having the same issue with my Tarot X4.. aligning the motors..

SO here is what i did. I used the a iPhone level. Set it on the center plane and right in front of the arm I was checking made sure it was level and zeroed it out. Then laid it on the motor plate and adjusted it until it was at zero as well. If you align all the motors to the frame plate directly in front of the arm it should be pretty close. The 3 - 5 deg angled arms do make alignment hard.

I wish they would build in an alignment notch into the motor mounts and the CF arms.. wouldn't be hard.