XAircraft SuperX

Had a SuperX on a Quad for a coupla weeks now & generally very impressed with it's position keeping in wind :tennis:

First flights were fantastic - like it was on rails, even in some wind. However - last coulpa flights (since I reconfigured & added camera gimbal etc) the Quad has become noticably more twitchy & 'nervous' in the hover. I'm now flying it with the controllable Gain set to minimum which seems to give the most stable hover. I'm trying to figure out if the change in hover behaviour is simply cos it's now heavier (camera gimbal), or there's an issue with the SuperX, or something else. Have tried substituting motors, ESC's, balancing props etc. to no great improvement. Anyone any advice - I've pretty new to Quads?

Upload your black box files and send me a PM link and I will take a look for you. Where did you get it from?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
View attachment 13753

I just flew 15+ Battery packs with 2 - 4 flights per pack this past Sunday with my GoPro rig for a producer. He wanted 4K gopro footage and had me do all kinds of stuff. 1/2 way through the day the wind was gusting 10 - 20 mph and the rig was flawless. At the higher wind gusts i was only worried about the gimbal not getting bounced around, as the rig was solid. We were filming bik eracing and a few times I popped the rig into GPS hold in the center of the track waiting for the pack to start and it just SAT there in 10 mph winds, I rarely had to do any correction.
I bought another SuperX for a Hex project i'm finishing... really digging it.

And most importantly it's not a DJI! WHOO HOO Colin and the Chinese government can go suck it!

Attachments

• Rig.jpg
    Rig.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 340

SamaraMedia

Nice little quad setup you got there SleepyC, what's your spec's? Like the rail setup for the gimbal, who makes it? Looks about the size I'd like to build to replace an aging HoverThings VC-450.

Thanks,

John

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
T-motor 740KV, 4S system on 40 amp Ipeaka ESC's. DIYQuads 530 frame (long arms http://www.diyquadcopters.com/QuadFrame-530-HD_p_52.html)
Quadframes US landing gear.
The rails are just Carbon rods attached to the gear. cam is counter-balanced with the batts.
Tarot 2D brushless gimbal.

I'm using 6000mHa 4S packs and getting 10 min + 2 to spare.

The little sucker rocks. I built it hoping it would be a cool little goPro rig and it ended up kicking butt.
The producer wanted GoPro footage as he had been sent a crap ton of GoPros and he wanted to make sure he used them.
The little guy rocked for me!

The producer took the footage shot all 2K and 4K on the Blacks, but I was sent a few "shots" of me flying.
View attachment 13763View attachment 13764View attachment 13765

Attachments

• High.jpg
    High.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 316
  • high2.jpg
    high2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 341
  • start 1.jpg
    start 1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 363

Emowillcox

That a mountain bike or road bike race event?
Do you remember what u paid your landing gear sleepyc?
I'm expecting my SuperX in the mail any day now (-;

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
It's a cyclocross race, (I actually race cx as well, i raced earlier in the day and flew the rest of the day it rocked!)
Cyclocross is like a 1.8 mile dirt crit with barriers, stairs, run ups and such that you need to dismount and run and then remount.
It's HARD. 40 min of flat out, 185 bpm craziness.

The rig has 215mm landing gear, probably a bit unnecessary could have gone with the smaller ones. I think they were $85?

I'm selling a set of 310mm's for $85 shipped if anyone wants them! Like new! Had em on an octo that i'm trying to sell.
The hear are these: http://www.quadframe.us/collections/landing-gear/products/310mm-clearance-landing-legs

Also have my "test bed Octo" up for sale for DIRT CHEAP check it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2003602

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Here's a review video of the SuperX I'm doing for RCG.
I may do another one with more forward flight, in this I just wanted to show the stability.. It's really good.
Full review should be up at RCG in a few days.

Yea I know i should have a lapel mic, I forgot it.. sue me...
:D

Last edited by a moderator:

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
I am just trying to sort out fine tuning of gains on my Super X controlled quad to get stable hover and getting a bit lost, weight is 1620 grams, what would be a good starting point?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have been starting most of my rigs at 1.2 across the board except heights I set at .08.
Keep the "fine tune" dial in the middle and just go in the direction it needs when you take off. I have never needed more than 1 min to get the rig locked in.
Except with my XY8 config which they are trying to work on.

Zirt57

I missed a lot in the XAircraft forums here because Multirotorforums.com doesn't support the latest version of Tapatalk. :neglected: Anyway, I'm now checking via my browser. Couldn't figure out why no-one was posting!

Just going to go out and test 1.08beta firmware. The main difference between it and 1.07 is GPS Position Hold and RtH WITHOUT COMPASS. When there is interference for the compass, if the SuperX is still has enough satellites to work, the GPS Position Hold and Return to Home functions will be still available. What it will do in this case is some kind of circle in order to orientate itself (GPS needs the unit to be moving in order to know what direction it is facing) and then will lock to position hold or will RTH is that is what you picked. I'll post video if I get any.

Jeff

rilot

I'm seriously considering a SuperX for my next MC (probably a Tarot FY680).
It looks really, really solid from the videos I've seen.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
It looks like all the new units are shipping with V2. I ordered one 2 weeks ago and it came with V2.