Gety images free to use??

SamaraMedia

No, we don't! Are you still pursuing some kind of contract with them? I thought I remember you mentioning in a thread a while back you negotiating some arrangement to provide aerial photos and/or videos, still in pursuit?

I work for a newspaper on the East coast and it's all about the social media linkage, just giving it all away some more in my opinion.

John

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Good memory! I wasn't doing aerials as much as trying to gather a portfolio worthy of their approval. But I haven't had time to do this yet. I wonder if stock footage is dead as well.

jes1111

I have a few images with Getty. It hasn't made me rich but I have made a few bucks, far more than if the same number of images had been placed with a lower-end site. I don't expect that to change with the new arrangement - if anything, it might get better since the images may receive targeted exposure. For example, a travel-related blog embeds one of my images - a travel company reads that blog, sees the image and thinks "nice! we'll use that in our next brochure" and, bingo, I get another sale. Contrary to the online situation, print media generally don't steal images. So overall I'm happy that Getty has gone this way.

The embedded image is very crudely downsized - utterly unusable for print and distinctly poor quality even for a blog. This image, for example, is bitingly sharp in full-res but almost worthless in its embedded version:
<iframe src="//embed.gettyimages.com/embed/97839882?et=rloz4qVDQ0mh0lpYgtHqfA&sig=qqHXh7O2KOJ9RbjEV-ukFHyECMvaP1HqlEnGj3q4QoA=" width="506" height="408" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

SamaraMedia

Jes, after sleeping on it I would have to agree with you that maybe this is a "Good" thing where the embed will actually generate additional revenue for both Getty and the photog providing the image. Someone needs to come up with a decent way to make income off the creative abilities of the professional.

Good luck!

SMP

You've got 150 dollar buyers, 1500 dollar buyers and 15000 dollar buyers. It would be a great day when NONE of us goes up for less than 2500-3500 bucks period. We would control the industry instead of the price shopper but since that isn't ever going to happen; What we CAN do is let the buyer ONLY choose between 1500 and 15000. All of us can live in that world and compete/coexist since we service different market demographics. Stock doesn't really impact the 15k guy but it GUTS the 1500 guy. You know that buyer. i just need a couple quick shots, gopros fine with me. Thats 1500 bucks to you. or 150. Give the buyer that choice and we all lose, every time.

My personal take is that Stock Agencies are the Devil... Liveview made Getty rich. Ok..Richer. I understand that we're not a fit for every budget and not every project requires a specific expertise but as an assignment photographer it kills me when specialized industries (Aerial Drone folks) give away what can be charged for at reasonable rates. Something to consider. Sorry Dronestock guys. Not with you on this one.

Last edited by a moderator: