15crewdawg

@RC Flying - That depends on the fireworks used, but they can range from 100ft to several hundred feet. You would need to get up with the Pyro-technician running the show to get a real idea what a safe altitude would be for your bird.
Too low or too close to the blast and you could get caught in the shockwave. Plus, most Pyro guys won't allow any RF around their stuff if they use remote firing systems.

@Soaringclauz - Nice shots. Too bad you didn't get the entire fireworks show. That would have been cool as hell from an aerial perspective.

Nice stuff soaringclauz. Much more majestic than mine (see below).
Soaringclauz, love the fireworks, beautifully captured. It's got me thinking of an idea... I wonder how high the fireworks go and if it's possible to hover above them and look straight down, that would look pretty unusual I think.... might give it a go with an old quad and gopro first. :)
Varies, but on average they "explode" about 100-120 ft off the ground. On the fourth of July I shot the following fireworks purely for fun, and I was flying at about 160-200ft at the highest point. I was trying to get the fireworks in the foreground, with the baseball stadium in the background. Even though in a few of the shots it looks like the flares came close to the MR, throughout the whole show I was looking right at the MR and monitoring the proximity, and nothing got closer than about 100ft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks again , much appreciated!
Rcflying, the highest we flew was 140 meters. A boring story: one of the pictures that triggered my interest for the aerial filming of fireworks (we shot a few) was a really beautiful picture of a 14th century village with the fireworks on one corner. It was shot from great height and the composition was perfect. My opinion is that a view from above of the fireworks will surely look fantastic...as long as what is underneath is nice (and bright).
From this point of view we are struggling to find a way to get brighter images from the Nex5N to overtake the limit imposed to the video mode of ISO3200 and 1/50th of a second...had we been able to capture in video the same light we captured in the pictures we would have been much happier. Oh well..next time :)
Ciao!
Claudio

Chadfish

Trees of Mystery

Here's some footage I got shooting Giant Redwoods for Japanese TV a couple of days ago. They weren't going to let me publish any of the footage, which is understandable, but we were having so much fun they decided to let me publish my last flight. What I can't show is the awesome climb up the entire height of a 300' Giant Redwood named "The Brotherhood Tree" at Trees of Mystery in Klamath Ca. I was using my XP2 and XPG gimbal from XProHeli, and a simple Hero3 camera. They wanted it shot in normal mode (not Protune) and with the wide field of view. I would have done Protune Raw, and shot in medium to reduce the curve of the trees, but even with a fisheye look I'm happy with what I got.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Looks really good. I am in the process of putting together an XP2 and XPG gimbal at the moment. I was sold on the XP2 by some of Chad's other videos amongst others and the fact that the quad frame has an anti vibration feature built in that gives the gimbal a head start on other systems. The XPG gimbal fixing method will make it so easy to fit on other quads. Have decided to fit Ragecam's 4.1mm lens to the GoPro3 to reduce angle of view to 100 degrees. Now realise I'd better have another standard GoPro3 to get shots like Chad's.

Chadfish

Thanks! Yeah, Ive seen some gopros with cinema lens' on, and they lose sharpness a lot of times. I just wish GoPro would make a simple removable lens you can switch, or just a 2nd GoPro model with a lens with the least amount of distortion possible.

Hi Guys,
My first attempt at a video edit using my Vulcan Mantis, plretty pleased with it but any advise/ comments greatfully recieved.

What are the odds that the two back-to-back video posts use the same Lindsey Sterling song... funny!
Bot good job to both of you guys. Both vids had some good stuff, some nice smooth motions.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Midnight999 your pictures are really stady. I am leaning towards getting a Mantis at some point when I have a lot more flying hours under my belt. Are you running Naza or Wookong?

Ismaya live DJAKARTA WAREHOUSE 2012 | #DWP12 | DJI S800 & Sony Nex7

Aerials : DJI S800 & Sony Nex 7
Ground cam : Canon 5DMKII

D.W.P '12 - DJAKARTA WAREHOUSE 2012
Indonesia's Biggest Dance Music Festival

During one magical night on 7th December 2012, D.W.P '12 came into the lives of music lovers from all over Indonesia and beyond, featuring an impressive line-up of International and Indonesia's own music heroes.
The 2012 edition of the festival was one that would never be forgotten; thanks to the massive epic crowd that came to ESCAPE, CELEBRATE, and DANCE. Not even the huge rain could stop us that night, and we are proud of all of you for that!
Thank you again to everyone (the sponsors, media partners, and you!!!) for the support, and as always, for helping us bring the festival to life.
We hope to see you ALL next year at D.W.P '13 - DJAKARTA WAREHOUSE PROJECT 2013 as we continue to create an even bigger dream and history.
This event is organized & promoted by ISMAYA LIVE.
Full FESTIVAL Info: djakartawarehouseproject.com

Midnight999 your pictures are really stady. I am leaning towards getting a Mantis at some point when I have a lot more flying hours under my belt. Are you running Naza or Wookong?

I'm using a Wookong and they are very good, heard lots of good thing about the Naza as well though, the Vulcan frames are top value if you ask me.