alderi

Hello everyone. I just joined MRF and this is my introductory post here.
I got myself a Phantom for the purpose of taking shots of kitesurfers without knowing it would handle the wind and the gusts until I had the opportunity this week in Bali. The result was conclusive for the compete beginner I still am. The first picture however is not over water, as you can guess, nor even in Bali. This is the Giant Buddha in Phuket. The pics are captures from 1440 mode video.
Cheers,
Alex
.View attachment 13177View attachment 13178View attachment 13179View attachment 13180

Attachments

• buddha.jpg
    buddha.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 333
  • vlcsnap-2013-08-06-16h05m11s131s.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-08-06-16h05m11s131s.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 304
  • vlcsnap-2013-08-12-00h42m26s56_cr.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-08-12-00h42m26s56_cr.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 311
  • vlcsnap-2013-08-13-00h21m05s202d.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-08-13-00h21m05s202d.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 358

kloner

Aerial DP
i've always wanted to go to Phuket just to say i'd been there,,,,,,,,

Try a higher resolution like 1080 24 or even 2.7 at 24 frames... it'll give you more pixels to capture from.....

alderi

The captures shown are at higher resolution than 1080 at 1440. I did 2.7k and 4k. But if the point is to get hi-res, I'd rather go for time lapse pictures where I get 12 M pixels with the Gopro HD3 Black. Eventually, I think I'll get a multi-rotor capable of carrying my Sony Nex 5n and longer flights.
Those are initial flights to test the concept. They were not intended for publishing outside my facebook page or in forums. No point of having resolutions higher than the best screens. BTW I am surprised in a positive way of the photographic quality of the captures, apart the heavy jepg (or is it mpeg4?) compression artifact.
This is what I get in 12M pixel picture mode with Gopro HD3 Black:

View attachment 13183View attachment 13184

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-08-12-18h00m19s245c.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-08-12-18h00m19s245c.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 405
  • vlcsnap-2013-08-12-17h57m36s58c.jpg
    vlcsnap-2013-08-12-17h57m36s58c.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited by a moderator:

The captures shown are at higher resolution than 1080 at 1440. I did 2.7k and 4k. But if the point is to get hi-res, I'd rather go for time lapse pictures where I get 12 M pixels with the Gopro HD3 Black. Eventually, I think I'll get a multi-rotor capable of carrying my Sony Nex 5n and longer flights.
Totally agree! With one exception or thought... If you are doing action shots like kitesurfers, then time lapse might miss the ideal frame that best captures that action. The benefit of the 4k under that scenario is that you have 12fps to pick the ideal shot.
But again, in general I agree that for photos in general you are better off doing time lapse with a higher resolulution, or better yet, a more capable camera like the NEX.

alderi

Totally agree! With one exception or thought... If you are doing action shots like kitesurfers, then time lapse might miss the ideal frame that best captures that action. The benefit of the 4k under that scenario is that you have 12fps to pick the ideal shot.
But again, in general I agree that for photos in general you are better off doing time lapse with a higher resolulution, or better yet, a more capable camera like the NEX.
Yes. I do keep in mind the 4k mode is akin to continuous sport shooting. ;-). The NEX 7 (which I've got as well) is a pretty fast shooter. There must be a way to trigger it remotely, should I need hi-res action. But again, my purpose is not professional work.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I race road, mtb and Cross bikes and through that was invited to do a quick promotional video for the Cleveland Velodrome. We (My friend Gregg and I) had like 2 hours to shoot it and a few days to edit. Not super stoked, but happy with the result considering the time situation.

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo

ash

Brilliant video, well done. In the FPV shots the legs are all over the place but the video is rock solid. How did you do that?

Brilliant video, well done. In the FPV shots the legs are all over the place but the video is rock solid. How did you do that?
That's what investing in good gimbals gets you, more so the newer brushless gimbal. These gimbals totally isolate the camera from the wild motions a MR may have to make to counter wind, or to maneuver where needed.

mike76

here new video with my Dialfonzo quadcopter and Quaternium brushless gimbal with gopro 3 black

Long Range FPV with DJI F550 and Immersion RC 5.8 GHz video link (600 mW)
amicu1, I really liked your post-production touches you put on your video. Can you tell me what what video editing software you used, and the film-like transitions where you got them? The same goes for the "sticky" overlay for the text... I like it. And lastly, what song from videoblocks did you use? I was trying to find it and download it, but couldn't find it.