S800 retractable landing gear

Bigrock

Ya I kind of had a feeling that was the case. But why does the manuel state that you need a servo that travels between 120 to 150%. That gives me hope that there is 30% of play in the locking system?

vislaw

We now have both the Secraft and the DJI retractables installed on S800s. The DJI legs are more solid and sturdy than the Secrafts but, of course, they also weigh more. We have not had any trouble with the Secrafts failing to deploy yet. In terms of motion, the DJI retracts are much more smooth in operation.

After some field testing with both sets we'll have a better sense of comparison given that all of the operation so far is only in the workshop and not in the air.

boustany

Hello,
Is anyone experiencing too much vibration with the new retractable gear?
There's too much play in the legs compared to the fixed one, not to mention there are no struts to retain the legs like the fixed gear.
The vibration is so intense that it's messing up the IMU.
Any potential mods to make it sturdier?
Many thanks for any suggestion.

krleas

FPV Freak
Hello,
Is anyone experiencing too much vibration with the new retractable gear?
There's too much play in the legs compared to the fixed one, not to mention there are no struts to retain the legs like the fixed gear.
The vibration is so intense that it's messing up the IMU.
Any potential mods to make it sturdier?
Many thanks for any suggestion.

Lower the gains a little.
i got the best
170 170 140 150
140 140

boustany

Lower the gains a little.
i got the best
170 170 140 150
140 140

Thanks i'll try that!
Although i followed the Wookong's chart which recommends 240 220 etc... for a complete rig with the z15
Does your setup include the z15? Did you reinforce the arms?

krleas

FPV Freak
Thanks i'll try that!
Although i followed the Wookong's chart which recommends 240 220 etc... for a complete rig with the z15
Does your setup include the z15? Did you reinforce the arms?

I didnt, i have tighten the booms with wires.

boustany

So no modifications are required to the retractable gear structure?
Are the gain values you're using krleas, with the z15 on board?

DennyR

I don't understand why you guys want to spend all that money on a function that has little or no useful purpose. You have rudder control so why carry additional weight and problems to create a shot that nobody needs. The biggest mistake made by amateur cameramen is over use of the fast pan movement.

vislaw

I don't understand why you guys want to spend all that money on a function that has little or no useful purpose. You have rudder control so why carry additional weight and problems to create a shot that nobody needs. The biggest mistake made by amateur cameramen is over use of the fast pan movement.

Denny, for us, at least, the biggest advantage for getting the gear out of the way is to allow the MR to move while the camera is tracking a fixed location (something the Z15 is very good at). With some basic coordination between pilot and camera assistant you can get some very beautiful shots that would pretty much be impossible to shoot with the restricted view imposed by having the gear down. I agree that panning per se is both overused and rarely effective with the motorized pan of the Zenmuse. However, the camera assistant I work with finds it is essential for the gear to be retracted for him to be able to properly set up shots and, in fact, a lot of the work he does would be impossible with the gear down. In fact, he says the efficiency for him to be able to shoot simple static frames is boosted extraordinarily by having no visual obstructions to worry about.

On the other hand, if I am shooting solo, I rarely raise the gear and keep the camera in a fixed forward direction.

DennyR

If you work correctly with pilot and camera operator and plan how you will shoot the sequence the pilot just needs to keep the heading of the model pointed in the general direction of the shot, If the pilot cant stay within 30 deg. of the target then I think you need another pilot. The guys I fly with are all 3D heli pilots, they can fly in any orientation, backwards, forwards, sideways it makes no difference. The pilot creates the movement and the camera operator should use as little input as possible and allow the camera stabilisation to work at it's most efficient. Locked-in means that you don't waive the camera about just for the sake of it when you can move the model to make the track. The human eye does not like to watch that because it has it's own stabilisation system that is pretty amazing. If you move the camera at more than 5 deg. per. sec. you just lost that part of the shot. You have blurred the pixels. A good editor will not use it. Nor will he normally use a sequence that is more than 5-10 seconds long. A sequence that follows a target up and down and all over the place is known as hose piping. It is simply not done...

Last edited by a moderator:

vislaw

If you work correctly with pilot and camera operator and plan how you will shoot the sequence the pilot just needs to keep the heading of the model pointed in the general direction of the shot, If the pilot cant stay within 30 deg. of the target then I think you need another pilot. The guys I fly with are all 3D heli pilots, they can fly in any orientation, backwards, forwards, sideways it makes no difference. The pilot creates the movement and the camera operator should use as little input as possible and allow the camera stabilisation to work at it's most efficient. Locked-in means that you don't waive the camera about just for the sake of it when you can move the model to make the track. The human eye does not like to watch that because it has it's own stabilisation system that is pretty amazing. If you move the camera at more than 5 deg. per. sec. you just lost that part of the shot. You have blurred the pixels. A good editor will not use it. Nor will he normally use a sequence that is more than 5-10 seconds long. A sequence that follows a target up and down and all over the place is known as hose piping. It is simply not done...
I hear what you're saying Denny and I'm sure your crews are much more skilled than our motley ragtag collection of misfits. We work a pretty unique niche without a lot of competition and our approach is giving us what we need and letting us pay the bills. I appreciate learning from you mavens who have been flying 3D and building helis when I was still trying to figure out how to solder properly. Oh, and I love your prop adapters. Thanks for all you do for the community.

DennyR

I'm glad to hear that all is well, I just get a bit tweaked when I see a lot of money being spent on gimmicks that could be better spent elsewhere on stuff that will get you a better return. You are right that my techniques are more geared to flying Helis. Thats the main reason that I use them. It is so much easier to see the line of the tail boom than looking at a Hexa when you are flying backwards etc. When I was flying the S800 I needed that u/c to see where it was headed. FWIW I shortened the front skids and ran with the camera further forward.