Hoverfly PRO/GPS Firmware Update v4.8 Beta

BOEING747

I like the beep, doesnt take long ot get used to it.

The new firmware is flying beautifully. This is all in manual mode, I havent been able to get footage as smooth as this out of my direct linkage little Jakub gopro gimbal before. This has a little stabilization added via FCP X but far less than I have had to use in the past. Gopro1 under my waterproof Hexa that will be pulled apart this week and rebuilt with a few improvements. I will hopefully upgrade the firmware on my big Hexa later this week, had a couple of stills jobs today so didnt want to change firmware for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwfcorTMFNA

Hi
If you get a mo would you please post the values you have in setup client HFPro for Jakubs Gimbal. Mine is smooth, but not as smooth as your video. Also which servos you are using and is it version 1 or 2 of the gimbal ? Many thanks

Stacky

Hi
If you get a mo would you please post the values you have in setup client HFPro for Jakubs Gimbal. Mine is smooth, but not as smooth as your video. Also which servos you are using and is it version 1 or 2 of the gimbal ? Many thanks

There are a number of factors that added up to that video looking reasonably smooth. Its not one single thing but a combination of things.
Its the V2 jakub black gimbal. Im using savox sh-0255mg servos in the gimbal.
I was using a gopro 1 set to wide angle.
I was careful to make sure the camera was set up perfectly level on the tilt axis. With wide angle lenses if you have them tilted either up or down even a short amount you get the fisheye distortion effect. If you keep a wide angle level on the tilt plane you get a greatly reduced amount of fisheye effect. With aerial filming the fisheye effect especially on the edges of the frame will in turn appear to amplify any jitters and movement.
It was a perfectly still evening so there was a minimum of wind buffeting of my hexa which in turn means less bumpiness for the gimbal to deal with.
I shot the footage at 50fps and in Final Cut Pro X conformed the footage to 25fps and then retimed the footage to 95% of true speed.
Then in Final Cut Pro I used the stabilization software and the settings there were "translation smooth 1.5" "rotation smooth 1.5" and "Scale smooth 1.5"
In the setup client the the bottom slider on both the tilt and roll calibration are set to 250 on each. If I remember right they deal with the speed of return to position of the gimbal, ideally should be set to zero. If they are set too high you will see a sort of bounce back as the gimbal returns to zero and overshoots.

I also flew for the most part as smoothly as i could in manual mode.

Hope that helps. I have found its never just one thing but a combination of factors.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Once you get close the big item there is the software stabilization - it can take otherwise unusable footage and makes it look good. However, you have to start with reasonably stable footage to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOEING747

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I am only a hobby flier, not a commercial videographer, so can not justify Final Cut ( yet ! ) but I will certainly take on board all your other suggestions. I have been flying a home designed Y6 with HFPro and GPS for 18 months now and it is incredible where they have got to with the firmware, AH and PH are unbelievable, not tried RTH yet. EXCELLENT company, highly recommended.

kloner

Aerial DP
It's not so bad when it's not beeping in the living room and got out on the ground outside

The firmware/replacement board is working well.....

Aerovideo

So I got a chance to try the new firmware this weekend. It was a mixed bag for me, probably something wrong with my setup but I had almost conflicting results.

First off I tested altitude hold which didn't work very well but this board only passes the altitude hold diagnostic test about 1 in 5 times so I may have a faulty barometer. Still need to look into that.

Next was my position hold test and return to home. The position hold was fantastic, this was about 30ft away from me. I flew out just a bit further, maybe 50ft and tried RTH. Worked like a charm and seemed pretty smooth. I was very impressed. So I decided to REALLY test RTH and put on my FPV goggles and flew out a little over 1000ft and triggered RTH. The quad reacted quite violently, and I found my self looking at the ground then the sky then the ground again and I decided to turn it off before I met the ground. I tried it again with the same results. I was on a hill and I think the quad may have actually been at a lower altitude then when I launched, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

So PH and RTH worked fantastic close to launch site. Far away RTH was scary. I've got a video to post but I need to edit first.

Still uploading, should be done in a while.

Photronix

Pilot
Not sure what your setup looks like but you may improve the altitude features by adding some light blocking foam over the barometer. This also acts to average out quick pressure changes due to changes of directions, etc.

kloner

Aerial DP
question about the gain tuning...... when i try turning up the hfp self level gain in manual, it seems like the higher i get the more slow wobbly motion i get when it hits wind. Am i just not high enough yet if i don't see a high speed oscilation? I'm one mark under half throttle hovering in man, that need to be different to deal with wind better? cs8,csG, KW8 pro, ice75, hfp, hfg

After swapping out hfp for wk and then back, can really appreciate the controllers smooth factor. you guys really got that part figured out

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Not sure what your setup looks like but you may improve the altitude features by adding some light blocking foam over the barometer. This also acts to average out quick pressure changes due to changes of directions, etc.

That is something that should be installed on the boards during assembly.

Photronix

Pilot
On gain tuning.

This assumes that you start with a low safe primary gain value. I lift off. Get out of ground effects. Give the throttle a little burst. When the gain is too high it will shimmy. Wa wa wa wa. Really quickly. To get to this point I start reasonably low and work up little by little. Once I get to the shimmy I back down about 5 clicks and test again.

To give you an idea of the values on our Venu the value is about 35 while the Erista is about 85. The value has to do with the ratios between boom length to propeller diameter and motor power.

kloner

Aerial DP
thanks, i'll give that a shot. Started with it at 25 on the software and bumped my radio up 5 clicks at a time, i'm up to 78 now and when i dip into low 80's it gets less stable but aren't sure if that's the line or if just needed to punch through. I'm not used to such a big craft yet so it's teaching me a lesson...... Was punching out so to speak and there was zero oscilations so i'll drive em up and look for it

Aerovideo

Paul, if you have a faulty barometer wouldnt that have a negative impact on GPS functions?

Not sure if the Barometer is directly linked to any GPS functions or not. I don't believe so, except maybe when trying to hold altitude.

I do have a piece of Yellow foam stuffed between the HFPro and the GPS maybe I need to find some black foam.

However, the Altitude hold was the least of my problems. Check out the second half of the video where I fly out via FPV and activate return to home, it goes nuts! Which is weird because in the same video RTH worked beautifully when I wasn't too far out.

Basically I test Altitude hold and it was kind of iffy. Then I test position hold and it was FANTASTIC as was RTH. Then I fly far away and try RTH again and it almost ends in disaster.

Here's the video again for ease of finding :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Almost would seem it had something to do with your fpv gear being activated. You didn't unplug the battery in between flights? Weird. That just makes no sense. It's just a different value as far as the fc is concerned. I'd put myoney on interference. Try flying further without fpv. Weird.

CX4

Attachments

• HF VENU.jpg
    HF VENU.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 313

Aerovideo

Almost would seem it had something to do with your fpv gear being activated. You didn't unplug the battery in between flights? Weird. That just makes no sense. It's just a different value as far as the fc is concerned. I'd put myoney on interference. Try flying further without fpv. Weird.

Thanks for the idea as it's a good one but when I plug in the flight battery everything is powered including FPV gear and you are correct I didn't change or unplug the battery between flights. I just wasn't wearing the goggles in the first part of the video.

My thoughts on my RTH problems:

1) Maybe because I turned around the compass messed with things? The initial LOS test I just engaged RTH without turning around, worked beautifully.

2) Maybe because I was at or below launch altitude when I tried the long range FPV RTH test? GPS remembers altitude and freaks out because it thinks its on the ground?

3) I didn't notice and unfortunately didn't record the OSD for this test flight but maybe I lost GPS signal? I do remember the light being blue though when I took off initially.

Looks like more tests are in order WITH my OSD recorder on :)

Would a flight log tell anything?