Hoverfly PRO/GPS Firmware Update v4.8 Beta

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Hey folks, I'm getting the circling effect when I engage GPS. I've tried with and without external magnetometer. I figure the onboard magnetometer circling was related to interference from the wiring harness. The external magnetometer is about 10" above the multi and it's mounted on a bamboo spit. I'm wondering if there is any vibration up that spit, if this could cause the circling. I'm going to mount it on an aluminum arm for more rigidity and see how that works. The AH and AL is perfect. I flew this morning is calm conditions and I was able to get it up there, and in position motionless without GPS. as soon as I switched it on, the circle started and I had to disengage. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
Two things. First, if your Primary and Autolevel gain are not optimized (just shy of maximum tolerable gain) then you can get circling. Also, you can try twisting your magnetometer clockwise 5 degrees. If it gets worse try it counter clockwise 5 degrees. Don't redo the calibration just use the current calibration and turn the magenetometer.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Thanks Al. I just got off the Zendesk and read that very thing. I'll recheck the gain, but I thought it was pretty good. I'll then try the rotation thing. I'm thinking the bamboo spit has a little variance in it. I just eyeballed the alignment when I put it in place. That's probably it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
... another thought... Do I have to unplug and restart after I rotate the external magnetometer or simply disarm, rotate, rearm and test fly?

Whopis

... another thought... Do I have to unplug and restart after I rotate the external magnetometer or simply disarm, rotate, rearm and test fly?

No need to unplug and restart after just rotating the external magnetometer. Just go ahead and disarm, rotate, rearm and fly.