Photohigher skyline rsgs

nicwilke

Here's the same video I posted earlier but this time with a light touch of post process to clean it up a bit. Problem with this is the limitations of the Nex 5N begin to really show themselves in anything other than straight fore/aft motion as the stabilization takes its toll and I can see some slight pixelation in places where the movement is on the pan axis. I know that I can slow it down on the manual pan or leave those clips out altogether where appropriate but I'd much rather not be restricted because of what needs to be done on the backend to get decent output. A couple solutions could be a better camera with more pixel density so there's less loss in post and/or a better high end NLE app that doesn't butcher the data quite as much, and of course there's always the holy grail of having the camera platform stabilized well enough that post process isn't needed, much easier said than done. None of the solutions are inexpensive and not anything I'm going to pursue anytime soon...

I'm not so sure where the roll wiggle is coming from although I suspect that some is a direct result of the Cinestar isolation mount system. Two things I see there, one is the mounts are too soft allowing for motion in directions the RSGS can't compensate for very well if at all such as vertical and direct side to side (the cause of the slight rolling in the vid I suspect). The other is the number of mounting points of the Cinestar system. On the CS 6 there are only three points at which the gimbal mounting plate is attached via the isolation mounts while there is the possiblilty to utilize all 6 spots on the lower center plate. I think a 6 point mounting using the existing design of the isolation mounts may be a possible cure for the wiggle and wobble by removing or at least restricting the motion of the mounting plate in those directions. Problem is it would take a custom cut mounting plate plus an additional 3 isolation mounts to test that theory and that would not be a cheap proposition especially if it proved to be only slightly better if at all.

I do agree the Z-15 would certainly give me what I'm trying to achieve but at a high buy-in cost with the added inflexibility of being locked into a single camera and lens, not to mention the WKM requirement on top of all of it. Given how quickly the technology is evolving I simply cannot justify that kind of expense for something that limited that will also certainly be displaced by something better in the not too distant future the way things are headed.

Raining here again today, been very wet fall so far and unfortunately by the time conditions improve enough for APV I think the foliage will be past its peak and a lot of it already on ther ground...

Ken

Ken, I agree.
Why buy in with Zenmuse when our NEX-5n's are close to being superseded.
I think more towards direct drive upgrades to the AV gimbals will be our best solution.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

PondMedic

I'm looking for some help with my pan that jitters and clicks to the right constantly. I'm using an AV130 with the RSGS FW 1.2.2. There is also no smooth panning at slow pan input. I've tried all of the suggestions given in this thread and can't figure it out. So, here's what I've tried so far to get it to stop drifting clockwise:
- adjusting sub trim on radio
- restoring skyline to defaults and retuning
- turning gains to zero and pan holds steady, so not a center tune issue (I think)
- turn pan gains down to 15 or 20, still slowly ticks or drifts clclockwise

For now I have the pan servo plugged straight into the radio receiver so I still have pan control and no pan drift. However, it would be nice to have pan orientation control through the skyline if I can solve the 1) pan drifting problem and 2) pan jittering problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm looking for some help with my pan that jitters and clicks to the right constantly. I'm using an AV130 with the RSGS FW 1.2.2. There is also no smooth panning at slow pan input. I've tried all of the suggestions given in this thread and can't figure it out. So, here's what I've tried so far to get it to stop drifting clockwise:
- adjusting sub trim on radio
- turning gains to zero and pan holds steady, so not a center tune issue (I think)
- turn pan gains down to 15 or 20, still slowly ticks or drifts clclockwise

For now I have the pan servo plugged straight into the radio receiver so I still have pan control and no pan drift. However, it would be nice to have pan orientation control through the skyline if I can solve the 1) pan drifting problem and 2) pan jittering problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Wish I could help but I pan the whole Cinestar using the rudder stick, the RSGS pan axis is not being used on my setup, hopefully someone that has it setup and working will have some ideas to try.

Ken

When you write "retuning" i assume you retuned it manually, right? Tuning a 360 equipped gimbal with the automatic procedure is really like winning the lottery: you need something very stiff to hold the gimbal but you can only support it from above the 360 which doesn't help to stay firm-still.
Manual tuning is the solution, it worked for me at least.

PondMedic

When you write "retuning" i assume you retuned it manually, right? Tuning a 360 equipped gimbal with the automatic procedure is really like winning the lottery: you need something very stiff to hold the gimbal but you can only support it from above the 360 which doesn't help to stay firm-still.
Manual tuning is the solution, it worked for me at least.

Yes, I was re-tuning it in the AutoTune. Can you describe how you tuned it manually? Thanks!

Yes, I was re-tuning it in the AutoTune. Can you describe how you tuned it manually? Thanks!

Check post 1628 from 1001copters, you can find it at page 163 of this thread.
It will be fine afterwards :tennis:

P.S.: i set it up and worked fine but then i disabled and am using the pan straight from the rx like RTR does. Until someone from PH realizes that disabling manual control and stabilization altogether is a no-no it will remain like that.:upset:

vispaaja

Hey,

I'm building a custom 3 axis camera gimbal for heavy cameras, very similar to the Cinestar mount.. I'm currently using Spektrum H6040's, but they feel a bit sloppy due to metal gears. Would plastic gear servos work better? Has anyone tried using analog servos (Does Skyline even support analog servos?)

Which servos are you using and at which voltage?

Has anyone tried these servos: Graupner HBS 690 BB

http://shop.lindinger.at/product_info.php?products_id=90223

Macsgrafs

Hey,

I'm building a custom 3 axis camera gimbal for heavy cameras, very similar to the Cinestar mount.. I'm currently using Spektrum H6040's, but they feel a bit sloppy due to metal gears. Would plastic gear servos work better? Has anyone tried using analog servos (Does Skyline even support analog servos?)

Which servos are you using and at which voltage?

I'm using savox servos (TG), but hobby king do a superb little servos at 1/3rd the price of savox! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13809

Ross

Macsgrafs

I received a couple of them a week ago and have already modified them. First testing says they are superb quality, nothing to do with many others available in this price range. Let's hope i am not forced to change opinion with time.
C

I've been using HK servos for years now, never had ANY problems...even on my 50cc SU26. Remember the Chinese are very good at ripping off other peoples designs, so they will only ever be as good as the design they copied...savox for example ;)

Ross

Lucky man.
Probably then i'm not very lucky when i choose what i buy from HK, or my DOA scrap box is a hungry entity with extraordinary capabilities:livid:
I have my opinion about that and rather than say that they are "very good" i'd say they are "very keen" at copying. Which does not excludes you're right, but is different....just my opinion:)

Macsgrafs

I agree, your version is more realistic....very keen ;)
Only ever had 1 problem in the last 3 years...eagletree airspeed indicator didnt have the pitot tube...had to wait 3 months for them to send a new one...they still had 10 in stock as well, why they never took a pipe from one of thier for sale sets & replaced it when the new one came through I will never know.
Thier after sales service is Sh1t, with a captial S!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... or my DOA scrap box is a hungry entity with extraordinary capabilities...

You are not alone. I have catalogued the most mind boggling list of DOA, faulty, wrong item over a five year period. Practically every single thing, no joke, practically EVERY SINGLE thing I have ordered to do with the whole helicopter project has had to be replaced, repaired, refunded ... quite remarkable. And VERY frustrating!

nicwilke

Just ordered a Skyline, hopefully it will be trouble free :). Any tips for the initial setup?
Yes, tips for you.
  1. Read the manual very carefully.
  2. Remove the tilt belt and roll drive gear before tuning/setup.
  3. Coffee. You will need to be alert. Drink lots of coffee. :nevreness:
  4. Check everything many times over before you proceed each setup step. There's no room for mistakes.
  5. Don't use the auto-tune function to start with. I believe its better to set-up the gimbal first with manual settings.
  6. Dont rush, if you arent sure of anything, post here with your questions as many people all over the world read this thread all day and night so will give you advice reasonably quickly.
GOOD LUCK.

Macsgrafs

Nic, whats need now on this thread is a full step by step guide for NEW & OLD alike to setup a RSGS! then close the thread, make it a sticky.

Ross

nicwilke

Nic, whats need now on this thread is a full step by step guide for NEW & OLD alike to setup a RSGS! then close the thread, make it a sticky.

Ross
Ross,
Its a great idea. Photo higher could give me an AV200 and a skyline to video and do a step by step guide on installation and setup. A follow me video. LOL. Cos My AV130 and Skyline is already perfect, and I dont need to set it up again.

tombrown1

OK, just getting everything set up now. Spent all day on it. AV130/360 pan kit with Skyline. Been all over the forums - searched everything I could think of.

I can not for the life of me get the tilt to go the proper direction. Here's what I did.

1. Followed all the install instructions.
2. Leveled xy
3. Leveled z
4. Auto tune
5. Stabilization seems to work reasonably well - but using my radio to tilt up/down, it only tilts 90 degrees backward (looking straight up).
6. Go in to software and uncheck "reverse" under Servos/Tilt Servo.
7. Click save settings
8. Disconnect
9. Turn on Skyline
10. Red blinking light - error.

11. Back into software - click on auto tune.
12. This reverts the "reverse" checkbox to "checked" again.

There were probably more steps - but I figure a dozen is enough to post!

And I haven't even gotten to the point of trying to get the pan working (it just spins in circles unless I unplug the pan servo wire).

Any ideas?

The reverse box only serves to reverse the compensation and it is normal that the autotune sets it correctly regardless of what you do.
If you need to reverse the side the gimbal moves to (like you do) you must change the "limits". If they are 0 and 90 you must change them to 90 and 0 (don't remember now, maybe you will need to try -90 and 0, some testing will clarify)
C

P.S.: forget autotune for the pan, during autotune it is very simply too difficult to hang the gimbal still enough by holding it from above the 360, try manual tune.