S800 & Zenmuse Pre-Order

Eoin

Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you who have made a pre-order could advise on the process ?
After much internal debate over the past few weeks, I placed a pre-order for the S800 and Zenmuse a few days ago but I haven't heard anything back.
The deadline for best discount is tomorrow so I'm a little worried that I'll miss out.
Dose anybody know how long it takes to get a reply from DJI ?
Many thanks
Eoin

DennyR

I'm, about to order at the last moment so I guess I'll be joining at the back of the waiting list.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

i ordered about 2 weeks ago. I think its important to have the per-order statement sent to them before the time period is over. They replied to me in a matter of 24 hrs. Be aware though as far as i know that the first z15 sent out will fit the nex5 or nex7. Gh1 and Gh2 will need some additional part to fit the camera tray etc. has something to do with the CoG. I am going to be waiting longer since i am not a friend of the nex series and wanted the GH2 version right away.

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

Eoin

Thanks for your input Boris.
Hopefully receipt of a pre-order form will secure me a place for the early discount.
I am surprised that I haven't heard from them yet though.
Eoin

Tahoe Ed

I pulled the trigger last night along with a new Naza controller. For those that are anal retentive, it was two separate orders. Just clarifying.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'd order one of bart's XY8's in heart beat before I even thought about getting one of these over priced plastic tech toys. Sure they look nice but you still have the same issues as all the others, like wind, FOV and redundancy issues. Support local/small businesses!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thank Iris for informing us that we all ordered crap in your eyes thats some valuable info you passed over there :) keep it up :)

Concerning Barts XY8 I think you made a good choice. I am impressed by what Bart has designed and i am 100% sure there wont be any regrets for those going that way!

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
My $.02 on why I won't be buying either the S800 or Zenmuse...

I'm not a big fan of closed source systems which is essentially what DJI is turning out to be, they keep the software locked up on their servers and many of the bits on the S800 are unique to it beyond just the frame itself, i.e. the motors and props. From my perspective I'd rather be able to use generic parts bought from any number of vendors rather than be reliant on parts availability from just one source and I much prefer being able to carry copies of the software on my laptop so if needed I can reload anywhere, anytime, without having to connect to a server thousands of miles away to do it. The extension of the closed source philosophy is the apparent requirement for a connection to a WKM controller to be able use the Zenmuse, a restriction that is a deal breaker for me, I like being able to mix and match components across all of the hardware I currently have.

While I really like they way the WKM flys in good conditions there are too many limitations for me to consider it to be the primary flight control system I'm going to go with. MK may not be quite as good at a couple of things as the WKM, but I think overall Mk is the better choice for an open source solution as well as lower total cost of ownership when you factor in what you get for free in the MK software vs having to pay big $$$$ for the same capability with DJI. In light of the recent improvements in the MK firmware I find myself flying the Mk platforms more than the DJI lately, not that I plan to stop using either the WKM or Naza or sell them off anytime soon, just that I feel DJI is heading in a direction I don't want to go and I believe I get more value for my $ with MK.

Ken

Eoin

Sure, it may turn out that we have all ordered crap, but I will reserve judgment until I have it in my hands and play with it.
I come from the open source world and am a massive fan of it, but sometimes you need to spend money.
I have yet to see a camera gimble out there that delivers the stability of the early zenmuse videos (Though the later one's have me a little concerned)
If I don't like it or something better comes along I'll sell it and move on. No major deal.
Of course I still haven't heard back from DJI so I might not be getting one at all ! :(

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I never said it was crap. Just over priced and very plastic. I'm sure those that ordered it will be very happy with it. My point is that we have all gone DJI crazy when it still lacks some very basic functions. They dont address these issues but instead come out with new products. And we all buy the stuff! I think China has a mind hold on the world for purchasing their products. I really hope Hoverfly can make a come back. or maybe it will end up like Xaircraft, who knows.

Eoin

I'm with you to an extent IrisAerial. I had only flown and built Arducopter up until I got my Wookong. Arducopter was fantastic fun to build and learn from but it didn't give me the reliability I was looking for.
Hence having looked at what was available in the closed source world, I decided to give DJI a try. I love my Wookong, but yes there are some areas that need improvement.
I find the lack of firmware updates a little worrying and I would love to see some more interaction from DJI in the forums.
That said I wouldn't say I'm DJI crazy, but am willing to give them some more time. The gimble might be disappointing (or not !) but I don't see anything better out there at the moment.
Eoin

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I never said it was crap. Just over priced and very plastic. I'm sure those that ordered it will be very happy with it. My point is that we have all gone DJI crazy when it still lacks some very basic functions. They dont address these issues but instead come out with new products. And we all buy the stuff! I think China has a mind hold on the world for purchasing their products. I really hope Hoverfly can make a come back. or maybe it will end up like Xaircraft, who knows.

Ah you know how it is boys and their toys and raging on them is a sin :)

Boris

DennyR

My order is in but it's now past midnight in HK so if you haven't done it yet I guess it's too late. 4949 usd is plenty of bucks for the full bang. But I think it will prove to be the best yet. Still churning out the F1's for GoPro and similar cameras. But I fancy a big one for Cinema stuff. Nice to have something can be assembled in hours rather than days.

DennyR

Most of it seems to be made of Carbon. Crap is when you make it out of Alum.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• spreading legs.jpg
    spreading legs.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 275

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
But Iris we can start the whole fan boy stuff :) Could be fun. Ill take the complete system side DJI and you do the zune tatoo thing so MK PH etc side :)

zune-tattoo.jpg

Edit ( by the way this was a joke to make us both laugh. I am pretty sure you understood :) )

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Yeah lets make people feel really bad about their s800 pre-order! Then we could rename this forum to rcgroups.com!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi folks,
I appreciate Yuri's enthusiasm and got a giggle out of Denny's underhanded slap. I might have taken it personally a few weeks ago but I know better since what I'm doing is real world and working great.
I asked Yuri (off site) not to throw me into the middle of any pissing matches. I'm not interested in badmouthing anyone or anything. What DJI is doing is certainly very interesting and I'm sure we can all learn something from it.
What we are participating in is the birth of a new technology/hobby/utility not unlike those that first tried to glide off slopes with homemade contraptions. It's fascinating to think of where we'll be and what we'll be doing in a few years. I'm looking forward to digital cameras with the processing power to do HDR video in real time.
Bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Yeah lets make people feel really bad about their s800 pre-order! Then we could rename this forum to rcgroups.com!

I assure you that keeping us as un-RCgroups-like as possible is still my first priority here. I would have jumped in here sooner but I didn't realize we had a minor flare-up underway.
Peace.
Bart