Photohigher skyline rsgs

Anyone have any advice on getting the creep out of the pan? One click each direction in the sub-trim will allow it to creep each way, but never stays put. It is slow, but noticeable.

Also, how do I program my radio to turn off pan stabilization for take-off and landing. I set cahnnel 5 to switch F (two way switch) and set one end point to 0 and the other to 100. IT does not do anything for some reason. Is there a return to home feature that will bring pan to starting point at the flip of a switch?? I'm using a Futaba 10chp for the gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator:

vinnygogo

a cant seem to get the pan stable. no mather what gains i use, it wil always 'wag' a bit left - right when not moving the pan stick or on realyyyyyy slow pan movement. any tips?

Mactadpole

Nic, whats need now on this thread is a full step by step guide for NEW & OLD alike to setup a RSGS! then close the thread, make it a sticky.

Ross

It would truly be wonderful to have such a guide, especially describing what has generally worked in real world circumstances.

A video would be even better!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yes, tips for you.
  1. Read the manual very carefully.
  2. Remove the tilt belt and roll drive gear before tuning/setup.
  3. Coffee. You will need to be alert. Drink lots of coffee. :nevreness:
  4. Check everything many times over before you proceed each setup step. There's no room for mistakes.
  5. Don't use the auto-tune function to start with. I believe its better to set-up the gimbal first with manual settings.
  6. Dont rush, if you arent sure of anything, post here with your questions as many people all over the world read this thread all day and night so will give you advice reasonably quickly.
GOOD LUCK.

I have yet to have any success doing a setup as described in #5. If I do a careful manual level, save the settings, power off and mount the Nex 5N on the platform, then power it back on and do the autotune it works just fine for me. Then again I'm only using 2 axis and the rudder stick for pan so what works for me may not work so well if you're trying to use the pan feature as well. This is a series of clips from the first time out in the field with the current setup, a very windy day and still having some stability issues when the camera is angled downward due to not being able to get the 5N perfectly balanced in the available space on the AV130 gimbal. It looks like I'm going to have to use some ballast to get the balance right as even in the best case setup the platform is noticeably heavy to the tilt servo side with the camera as far over to the opposite side as I can get it. Using the 16mm wide angle lens might mitigate that but that isn't the lens I want to be using 100% of the time. Only other solution to ballast would be an outright replacement of the gimbal with something the Nex fits into better with room to move it around
get it in balance and if I do decide to go that route the new gimbal won't have traditional servos driving it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV28sxq3wRM

Ken

I really need some help here. Just trying to get my AV200 back in the air after installing the RSGS.

1. I can't get rid of the pan creek (even if I set the sub trim, it ends up with a creep after a few cycles.
2. See the video. I set it up by tuning the pan with the AV200 hanging from the Octa which is being held up by a couple chairs so the AV200 with landing gear can spin. When turned on with the legs hanging, the pan is fairly stable (small creep) But then when I set up like I am going to fly and plug in the RSGS, the entire Octa spins quite fast.
3. I don;t understand how the Pan center tune works. can someone explain?

I made a video with my iphone. No narration. I plugged it in the first time with the Gimbal hanging and plugged it in the second time with it supporting the Octo on the ground.
I can;t get the switch to work to turn off the pan on the ground. Although I know it is programmed to the right switch and channel. I even got worried one time when I plugged in the RSGS and it went to green but the remote would not control it. Then I flipped the switch I set up and it turned on the servos.. Then if I turned the switch back off, nothing changed. I don;t get it.

Any help here?

I can;t get the switch to work to turn off the pan on the ground. Although I know it is programmed to the right switch and channel.

There is no way you can stop the pan movement once on the ground unless you find out how to disable the compensation so i'd concentrate on that.
What happens if you lift the model whilst it is panning fast like at the end of your video?
C

I'd do a manual pan servo center tuning without connecting the pan input.
Only afterwards, if the gimbal stays still when hanged without any radio input applied, i'd switch the skyline off and connect the pan input to the rx and switch on the radio and the skyline, then trim the radio so that the gimbal stops again. If there's no way to achieve that then you may try to work on the radio trim step. Some radios give the option to reduce the trim step value, some have trim steps tied to the travel, some ....don't offer any of the above.

Just a reminder, though: even if you set everything perfectly (when hanged) you will not be able to fly the gimbal until you sort the problem regarding the compensation disabling control.

I switched to my 8fg radio and the 3 way switch worked fine. Not sure why my 10chp won't do the job no matter what switch I set up. Creep is still present with 8fg even after subtrim again. I don't understand how to set up the center tune on the pan axis when pan signal is plugged into the computer and Pam servo is unplugged. Can someone give a step by step.

Ops...that's age: i forgot that of course you can only setup the pan servo center without pan input connected :tennis: (to the radio because the pan input is connected to the pc, that' what i meant, of course pan servo must be connected)
So that's perfect, only thing left to do is to take out the 360 pan belt and change the servo center value until the gimbal stops rotating.

Disconnect the pan belt
connect the skyline to the pc through the pan input
launch the skyline sw
connect power to the skyline
Start connection between skyline and pc with the low left menu
tag servos on
change the pan servo center value until the pan servo stops
tag servos off
save values
disconnect from menu
switch off skyline
place belt back in place

If i didn't forget anything now you should be able to switch it on (pan input disconnected) to check if, with gimbal hanging, the pan still creeps. If it doesn't you can switch the skyline off, connect the pan input to the rx and switch the skyline on again to trim the radio.

vip

skyline twitch

I am looking for a suggestion on my roll twitch.
do I need to go higher for the correction or am I over correcting????

I tried the gains for 100 to 150 to 300 and did not see any difference. this is the last one at 300
Integral at 10
velocity at 150

Any ideas are appreciated..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv8msRMPfws&feature=youtu.be

I tried pasteing this video here but it does not want to take it for some reason.

The pan center tune value does not seem to change anything. I am not getting this. When I turn it on, it moves one way then slowly starts to turn the other way and accelerates. So frustrating that I am spending hours on this. THanks for the help soaring

Ops...that's age: i forgot that of course you can only setup the pan servo center without pan input connected :tennis: (to the radio because the pan input is connected to the pc, that' what i meant, of course pan servo must be connected)
So that's perfect, only thing left to do is to take out the 360 pan belt and change the servo center value until the gimbal stops rotating.

Disconnect the pan belt
connect the skyline to the pc through the pan input
launch the skyline sw
connect power to the skyline
Start connection between skyline and pc with the low left menu
tag servos on
change the pan servo center value until the pan servo stops
tag servos off
save values
disconnect from menu
switch off skyline
place belt back in place

If i didn't forget anything now you should be able to switch it on (pan input disconnected) to check if, with gimbal hanging, the pan still creeps. If it doesn't you can switch the skyline off, connect the pan input to the rx and switch the skyline on again to trim the radio.

nicwilke

The pan center tune value does not seem to change anything. I am not getting this. When I turn it on, it moves one way then slowly starts to turn the other way and accelerates. So frustrating that I am spending hours on this. THanks for the help soaring
Tahoelight,
The Skyline is looking for movement to compensate against. Belt up the pan servo, and hold/hang it up. There's currently no motion to sense from the skyline, so it's trying to compensate for a small amount of off-centre, so it accelerates the servo to revese this off-centre.

Tahoelight,
The Skyline is looking for movement to compensate against. Belt up the pan servo, and hold/hang it up. There's currently no motion to sense from the skyline, so it's trying to compensate for a small amount of off-centre, so it accelerates the servo to revese this off-centre.

So what is the Pan Center Tune all about? I am just trying to follow the advice given to me. So everyone's RSGS pan turns the main frame when on the ground?

@tombrown1, I think he meant to just put the belt back on. I took it off under some other advice to find the Pan Center.

By the way, I do have the pan servo POT centered properly.

I finally figure out the switch on my Futaba 10chp. I have to go with 0/50 on end points, not 0/100

tombrown1

So what is the Pan Center Tune all about? I am just trying to follow the advice given to me. So everyone's RSGS pan turns the main frame when on the ground?

@tombrown1, I think he meant to just put the belt back on. I took it off under some other advice to find the Pan Center.

By the way, I do have the pan servo POT centered properly.

I finally figure out the switch on my Futaba 10chp. I have to go with 0/50 on end points, not 0/100

Thanks Tahoe. I thought he was saying to make the servo belt driven rather than gear driven. My mistake!

I think it is time to sell my Picloc 3x pro! First flight tonight with the RSGS and it is sooooo much better than I ever got out of the picloc. Finally! The creep will drive me nuts, so have to figure that out. Even just one click in sub trim sends it the opposite direction. I still don't understand the pan tuning.

I'll work on tuning a bit more to get rid of the overshoot on the roll axis and maybe fine tune the tilt. Maybe I'll post a video although I am waiting on a couple replacement motors from Tiger (hopfully) which are causing vibrations. Otherwise, so far so good. A return to home feature would be nice to be able to get the gimbal back to facing forward before landing.