Phobotic Centerpiece Brushless Gimbal Controller

Fanch

Hi
I am so tired with Alexmos I want to try something new. That works. period.
This product looks really interesting, but information is scarce. The website is not clear, what is the difference between consumer and pro, one or two imu, how do you control the third axis on the consumer product? Basic mounting information, etc.

Fanch

There's a table in the bottom of the page showing the differences. The CPHV adds high voltage rating, higher current rating, Bluetooth and comes with two IMUs.

You can download the manual with mounting instructions from here: https://phobotic.com/static/user_manual.pdf

Thanks, I saw that information, but those are technical differences that are hard to take in terms of Gimbal stability and performance. I would like to know or see, what those differences mean "in real life"
Can a consumer version be upgrated to a Pro version?

It depends on so many things - efficiency and resistance of the gimbal motors, balancing, power source... we've tested the CP with 2KG payload.

Cameraj

Samur, how does the cp Handel landing gear connected to it? Like a cinestar style, or is it better to use retracts?

In terms of stabilization it is always better to use retracts (regardless of the controller or gimbal) as opposed to RLG (rotating landing gears).
That being said, the CP works with some RLGs and does not work well with others. We are making improvements as we go, and introducing RLG-specific modes.

JLO

Hi Samur what are the reason for the stabilization been compromise by the RLG?
is it in the air wind resistant pushing on the legs disturbing the gimbal?
in land the flying copter yaw's spins
could you mention what are the RLG-specific modes going to do
will they be automatic sensing or user selected
thanks

fpmurphy

I've always heard it was the other way around. Retracts introduce more vibrations into the system and mess with stabilization. My preference is RLG, even if it's slightly worse stabilization wise. It's just one less thing that can fail.

I'm excited to see RLG modes! I've ordered a CPHV and just finished putting together my gimbal.

Fanch

It depends on so many things - efficiency and resistance of the gimbal motors, balancing, power source... we've tested the CP with 2KG payload.

finger hovering above the Purchase button right now

a last question, do I need a second IMU? On the Alexmos, it is used for the third axis. Is it the same here?
thanks

You don't need a second IMU but it will have significant benefits in future firmware versions.

As for RLG vs retracts: it's true RLGs are more structurally solid, while retracts probably introduce some vibrations to the airframe. But RLGs add a lot of inertia on the yaw axis, they resonate easily (that's what you get with a 40cm+ carbon fiber blade) and they aerodynamically interfere with the gimbal.

It's not black and white; I expect some RLGs to work well and others not. I suspect retracts is the overall better solution in terms of gimbal performance only (it has many other downsides though).

Fanch

You don't need a second IMU but it will have significant benefits in future firmware versions.

As for RLG vs retracts: it's true RLGs are more structurally solid, while retracts probably introduce some vibrations to the airframe. But RLGs add a lot of inertia on the yaw axis, they resonate easily (that's what you get with a 40cm+ carbon fiber blade) and they aerodynamically interfere with the gimbal.

It's not black and white; I expect some RLGs to work well and others not. I suspect retracts is the overall better solution in terms of gimbal performance only (it has many other downsides though).
It says "backorder" on the site. When will the next batches be ready ?

We're just catching up now on orders from two weeks ago. We had a hard time ramping up manufacturing to meet the demand (mainly due to initial customers placing repeat orders and large dealer orders). I don't have a firm date for the CP yet. We may have a few left in stock when we're done with these orders (I could only tell for sure after all CPs pass their QC process). We may have less than 10 left for delivery late next week.

New HVs will be on in less than 3 weeks, as we began another manufacturing round already.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Quick update on my experience with my CP. Past weekend, kept the store bought gimbal's 3rd axis on, but put my 2 axis DIY gimbal on for 1/2 dozen flights. Auto tune was fine (except my roll hit the stops and I had to move it but I've been told it's ok to move, turn, or rotate the gimbal during auto tune). Flew great with gh3 and new 1330 software that was released last weekl.

Put my other (store bought) gimbal back on, and went and flew 2 flights in a field to test some (for me) higher speed forward, backwards and sideways flying and footage was good. Was near a lake so went up high enough to see over the trees to check the horizon. It's good the majority of time but yawing and sideways flying will get it to go out temporarily. Yaw to the left, right side on horizon drops. Overall, I am very happy with the footage. Not going to need the stabilization software anymore!

Today, supposed to be editing a client job, but we are having record day (high) temperature. Charged up a couple sets of batteries and just came into look at the first flight. Gorgeous footage on some new camera settings. Wind blowing 17-24 and footage is steady as a rock. Trying to decide if I want to fly some more in the wind (or go back to work)..... Now sure how wise to fly in these winds, but it's fun seeing the steady footage, even though it's just the back yard.

Didn't do a areal stress test, but think I'm getting closer (7 on scale of 10) to getting the YAW follow to where I want it. I think I'm at least on the right track by keeping the acceleration and speed way down, but the rigidity up. Can't remember where I have the limiter, but have been messing with that too.

So far I am VERY pleased with my CP. Keeping fingers crossed that the manufacturing and parts are robust. Now, if they just tighten up the horizon drift, I'll be ECSTATIC.

additional edit. Just did 2 more flights and started working with memory banks. Long story short, I'm guessing they have some fine tuning to do their. First switch was ok. Switched back to bank 1 and couldn't get the gimbal to calibrate. It was off about 20 degrees on horizon, yaw, and pitch. Ended up with left leaning and pointing up into my propellers. Same results 3 times in a row. Had to stop as the rain came in........

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks! CPHVs ordered now will be shipped end of next week.
There are also many firmware improvements implemented now which should together substantially enhance the performance you've seen so far.

Pumpkinguy

I want a 3 axis gh-4 gimbal with incorporated tripod landing gear. I read this on the hexacrafter website "Gimbal Mounted Tri-POD landing gear is currently NOT supported with the Phobotic centerpiece Controller"

will this change in the future or do I need a different controller if I want this setup?

Last edited by a moderator:

This should change in the future. The limitation comes from the structure compromise of gimbals of this type; the CP tries to tune them to a minimal performance level they can not attain and fails as a result. I hope that through refined tuning and other system improvements we can significantly improve on this point in the upcoming 1331 version.