Phobotic Centerpiece Brushless Gimbal Controller

jfro

Aerial Fun
I posted this on the other place for a fellow that was saying he was waiting to see some Centerpiece footage from a heavier setup. Mine is mid heavy 19-20lbs, so I answered him.

I'm flying all day tomorrow with my 3 MR's. A lot will be on my X8 w/ Centerpiece. GH3, GH4, and maybe BMPC if I get time. I'm by myself and have lots of stuff I want to do, so might not get everything done.

I am extremely happy with my results on my X8 at around 19-20lbs with the Centerpiece controller. Lots of testing to do yet. Most of my issues have been operator error and learning his software system. I'm a fiddler/tester so I make more work for myself and then even more when I make mistakes. Today, I cost myself 2 hours when I decided to try some more auto tune and tweaking the yaw follow mode and then try my other camera's before I hit the field tomorrow. Well, I forgot about he bug in the current version and forgot the motor-calibration for about 3 go rounds. Complete idiocy on my part. Not only that, but it's the 2nd time the motor_calib has side tracked me in 3 days. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Regardless, I have lots of rock solid footage I can't share, but hopefully some or all from tomorrow will be something I can share.

Long winded point, I don't think I'm going to have to stabilize footage anymore. More testing to do to back that up, but so far, the camera/lens combo I'm using just works with the Centerpiece.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Looking forward to your tests. If I'm lucky , and the weather holds, I may be able to get the new gimbal tuned and up in the air.

Av8Chuck

It won't be ready in time for that batch. They will receive the regulator with the rest a few weeks later. They will be bound to 3S until then.
I'm running 6S so I either have to use a BEC or separate battery anyway, how well does this controller work with 3S? I have a bunch of small 1250mAh 3S batteries, is that enough for a GH4?

jdennings

If you really need 5S or greater get the CPHV..... and you get the 2nd IMU....
Andrew

Don't think I'll need HV for a while ... In fact, 3S might just be fine? This is for a Legacy gimbal with Gh4, Metabones and a light Canon lens. But I wanted to make sure I'd have the flexibility as is of going higher if I go with heavier lenses or
5Dmk2 with 16-35mm... Maybe with one of your gimbals.

Remoteworks

Hi Samur, I've read that it's currently not possible to use the controller with an belt driven pan system. Is there a possible fix with firmware?

Thnx for your answer,
RW

It's absolutely a firmware issue and not an hardware one.
When will it be fixed depends on how many people want to use reduction drives. We are constantly evaluating our priorities depending on the feedback from users.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just got through a successful auto-tune (fingers crossed) after swapping over to the new Jakub/Quadframe 3-axis gimbal. Looking to get some flights in tomorrow and fine tune - as long as the weather holds. Cloudy, but should be plenty of green trees turning various shades for some foliage footage.

The only thing I'm wondering now is how to tell of the motor cal done in the CLI is done? I let it go for about 25 minutes, but walked away at one point (did I miss a beep?). On the bench is does not pop into Recovery stab mode - stays in high performance any way I turn yaw. Should I be good?

Remoteworks

It's absolutely a firmware issue and not an hardware one.
When will it be fixed depends on how many people want to use reduction drives. We are constantly evaluating our priorities depending on the feedback from users.

Hi Samur, Thnx for the answer. Would like to try the CP on our Red/F55 gimbal.
Will keep following this tread

RW

Racerx1962

Have the yaw issues been worked out on gimbals with the integrated tripod landing gear? Are the issues the same on the HV as well as the CP?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Have the yaw issues been worked out on gimbals with the integrated tripod landing gear? Are the issues the same on the HV as well as the CP?

Some people have successfully tuned with the rotating LG. It requires a special stand (or some apparatus) that allows the LG to be off the ground obviously - but I know it's been done. Some people have had to lift off and hover as still as possible - since the take off can cause the CP to kick into recovery mode.

This is is an issue with both versions.

Really excited to swap my Alexmos for the Phobotic on my G2 3Axis gimbal. My issues are of corrosion & salt air on the board. Sorry for the seemingly stupid question.......but.......Can I dunk this whole thing in Corrosion X before I mount? Anyone done this yet? I dunk my ESC's in Corrosion X with no problems. I live in Hawaii.....everywhere we fly is salt air unfortunately.

There might be a problem as the CP contains a barometer in the center. I think it'll be damaged if you dip it in material. You can always cover it - it'll only be used for some future features.