How to read DJI IOSD logs (How to Instructions)

Quinton

Thanks for the effort guys.
I was pretty sure it was the files. I'll check the iOSD connections but since we get the correct displays on screen I'd assume all is well there. Duff memory card is a possibility but I can't get any file to open correctly. The A2 started on v2.1, missed out v2.2 and is now v2.3. It doesn't matter what version the files were created under they act the same. A possibility was that the download thru the USB from the IOSD was bad. I did it on a Mac under Parallels which is usually OK. It was the first download and contained 4 months of data. The file sizes range from an average of around 50mb to a maximum of over 200mb. Not sure if there's any significance in that.
It would be interesting what DJI would make of it all. TahoeEd maybe will take it up?

andy

There may well be something simple to fix with the files you already have, DJI would know better, the file sizes sound good though for me its usually around 5mb per minute of data, but when its sent to the program you are getting less that 1 second so some things not right. [MENTION=736]Tahoe Ed[/MENTION] may be your best bet.

Mojave

Maiden Flight - logs from iOSD II

First - Quinton; - Thanks for starting this thread. I made my maiden flights this morning for my HexaCrafter 1100L with Tiger Motor U7s and T80A ESCs. It did well with my A2, even though the LED unit is missing the green LED, I got the required number of GPS satellites quick. I used a Futaba 8FG Super and decided to use the SBUS on the receiver that was packaged with the radio: R6208SB. So I bypassed the A2 FC receiver and I upgraded the A2 to all of the latest firmware, and used the iPad application to monitor parameters of the A2 (I will see what I need to do to get a new LED cable form [MENTION=10610]aerial[/MENTION] Media Pros; ). I hooked up my iOSD II without a monitor to just act as a 'black box' and it worked fine. I did it because I was a bit nervous about using the A2, and I wanted to record a log of the flight. I have a couple of questions that I will list below the dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y36gxu6gjzp2aea/AADe057RG-rc8DoFLLkHyzfAa

- This link is the two of 18 files the unit made this morning (the last two) using my DJI iOSD II the files ranged in size from 768 KB to 377,216 KB. this link is for two files: 77,472, and 213,152 KB sized files that seemed to be representative of the data collected. I read the 'full' manual and it seems to be missing detail about these logs.

1) Does the iOSD II make a new file every time the motors are turned off - indicating I landed and turned off the motors 18 times? Since it was the first time I flew this rig I did a lot of landings. - from video answered: Yes

2) Am I missing a data point for the number of satellites that the unit is reading from? - from video no indication that this data is captured to bad this is not recorded

I guess I answered my own questions from the video that Quinton started this thread with. [MENTION=1417]kloner[/MENTION]; that SuperX log is a really good user friendly display - I wonder if the iOSD II data will ever be a bit more user friendly? I would appreciate any comments on the log.

View attachment 19418

Attachments

• Maiden Filght Set-up.jpg
    Maiden Filght Set-up.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Can't answer regarding the motors as I do not know enough about them yet, maybe Kloner can explain exactly why he thinks they are pushing on eachother.
What I did notice is that your motors are between 120000 and 170000 while mine are in the 17000-28000 range, so this could shed a bit more light on the figures of the Y axis.

The GPS in your smaller file shows that it was picking up 17 satellites most of the time, 19 at one stage and the lowest being 13 (this is shown as svn)
I "think" there is 31 available satellites at any time at present with 24 available 95% of the time, this looks pretty good.

What I have seen is that the IOSD records every time you connect the battery, if you land it does not start a new one, it will just show that it has landed and motors stopped until you disconnect the battery, then it will start another one, this is why you usually have small files in between the one DAT file that you are looking for. (Still learning though as I have only started learning but there is not much info out there)

Mojave

motors 2 and 5 are pushing on each other,,,, might check there level.

Wow - thanks. I guess I will be taking my sanding block and straight edge to San Diego. I need to learn how to read the iOSD II data a bit better - will go back and take a look.

Mojave

Can't answer regarding the motors as I do not know enough about them yet, maybe Kloner can explain exactly why he thinks they are pushing on eachother.
What I did notice is that your motors are between 120000 and 170000 while mine are in the 17000-28000 range, so this could shed a bit more light on the figures of the Y axis.

The GPS in your smaller file shows that it was picking up 17 satellites most of the time, 19 at one stage and the lowest being 13 (this is shown as svn)
I "think" there is 31 available satellites at any time at present with 24 available 95% of the time, this looks pretty good.

What I have seen is that the IOSD records every time you connect the battery, if you land it does not start a new one, it will just show that it has landed and motors stopped until you disconnect the battery, then it will start another one, this is why you usually have small files in between the one DAT file that you are looking for. (Still learning though as I have only started learning but there is not much info out there)

Thanks for the acronym SVN = satellite vehicle number; good to see that in the data; verifies that my green LED is burned out!

I think that kloner saw that motors 2 and 5 are outside of their respective groups i.e. 2, 4, 6 all spin the same way as do 1,3,5. They are not that close to their respective spin groups on the scale. They are opposite on the display when you turn off all the other data sets; and actually cross at points and trade high and low spots. He has been helpful with tips on balancing motor mounts; so they are all lined up on horizontal. Obviously I need to do a bit more sanding of my rectangular arms; the data from the iOSD II is a valuable tool.

https://vimeo.com/101867547

Quinton

Thanks for the acronym SVN = satellite vehicle number; good to see that in the data; verifies that my green LED is burned out!

https://vimeo.com/101867547

That would be pretty easy to see, as if you are using a Wookong it should turn green when you are doing vertical calibration, otherwise you should not see green very much unless you are recording forward in IOC
Your LED should be purple when recording the home point, and stay that way within 8m of that point and you have more than 6 sats.

Quinton

motors 2 and 5 are pushing on each other,,,, might check there level.

Just an update on this thread as I was having all the CCW motors being pretty hot, it turned out that one of my motors was around 6mm lower than others.
What I noticed on that motor is that that the o' ring in the boom was not under the plastic motor mount on the Skyjib, so dismantled it and made sure it sat under and tightened all the QR plates as much as I could, and now all 6 motors are cool after again.
So thank you again Kloner.

kloner

Aerial DP
no problem. yesterday on set i noticed my rig getting weird in wind, i had to do the arm stretch up on all the arms and she cleaned right up.. it's a daily thing, gonna add it to my checklist

SMP

Arms stretch?? Developed a CCW hot issue as well. Re-leveled again the other day but haven't gone up on it yet... The 6mm lower however is something we've never checked, makes sense though. Whats the arm stretch upwards??? Give em a yank and make sure theyre all at the same height????

kloner

Aerial DP
imagine balancing the rig on the ground using one arm, leaning 45 degrees, the opposing arm to the one touching the ground is in your hand...... give a big push to the crash cage, rotate one arm repeat, repeat till all are adjusted. You WILL hear some creaking, normal, just make sure all the arms are in the full dihedral option and she will fly bueno

saidquad

Quad copter maiden crash
My quad crashed on the first test flight. Motors mn4014, esc 40ams TM, 6S Lipo, prop 17” TM, AUW 7060g, gains: 240,240,200,200—220,220.
I started motors in GPS-ATI mode. After about one minute took off. Flew rock solid. Hovered about 5 meters over the ground and 5 meters forward. Around 1 minute after take off I did a yaw test which was performed very neat and solid stable. Did nothing more and just let the bird hover. Suddenly around 3:50m It started to wobble and it seemed that motor 3 or motor 4 (I don’t remember which one) had some problem to gain power and the bird descended fast. First I tried to increase the throttle, I felt no change and the distance to the ground was not much. I lowered the Throttle and crash landed. Two props and the landing gear damaged. There were some dust in the motors which I cleaned off and tested motors. All four work fine. After the crash all ESCs were cool, motors were a bit warm but I don’t remember it was motor 3 or motor 4 which was warmer than the others (almost hot). Lipos are OK and the voltage is normal.
Mn4014 has a thrust of 1530g (each) at 50% thrust (17" prop) which is 6120g in total and 2180g (each) at 650% thrust which is 8720g in total. So I don’t think the problem was being overweight.
I don’t understand OSD log much. Would anyone look at it and come up with any suggestion?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0s33465iys6jn48/FLY000.DAT

Quad copter maiden crash

I don’t understand OSD log much. Would anyone look at it and come up with any suggestion?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0s33465iys6jn48/FLY000.DAT

I'm not an expert either, but it seems as a problem with M3. At 342,5sec point the drone starts yawing and at the same moment FC starts increasing the PWM level for M3, trying to compensate.

As there is no change in battery level at this point I assume M3 did not stop. Maybe it got too hot and the friction increased and slowed down the rotation?