Phobotic Centerpiece Brushless Gimbal Controller

Av8Chuck

Are there any 3-axis landing gear gimbals that the CP works with? I'd heard you were working with Jakub to make his V2 gimbal work with the 3-axis, did that ever work out?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hi Samur,

What kind of gimbal is it from Hexacrafter, do you have more info?

thnx RW

I'm currently reviewing the Phobotic bgc board on the Hexacrafter gimbal . Right now the pitch and roll is flawless but the yaw is still breaking free. From what I hear the new firmware update will address this and I can't wait! As the pitch and roll are awesome!!!

SamaraMedia

So I took advantage of the 15% discount Roee and Samur were offering this weekend and bought a standard CP for either a DIY 3 axis I'm building for a mirrorless camera to yet be determined that will hang under a hex build I've currently been using a H3-3D gimbal. I'm also considering the Quadframe 3 axis but after reading some of the comments about tuning with RLG which Jakub is now offering in a new three legged design. The CP is on backorder so I have a few weeks to decide but would like to take advantage of some extended Black Friday Cyber Monday specials on a gimbal so any advice is welcome.

jfrom, you seem to really like the Eagle Eye but it is a little heavier than I'm looking for. Nick, you seem to like your Quadframe 3 axis and your latest video of the fishing inn was a great sample of what can be done so I'm likely leaning there. Which landing gear are you using, standard 215mm from Quadframe, the new three leg design or something all together different?

Thanks all, hope you had a great holiday weekend!

John

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
jfrom, you seem to really like the Eagle Eye but it is a little heavier than I'm looking for.

The DYS Eagle Eye works very well with the CP, except for they need to tighten up the Horizon. It goes off too much on yaw and sideways flying with a little yaw.... If the yaw were better, I would have been tempted to buy another 1-2 on the last sale, but going to sit tight until I see it improved.

As to the Eagle Eye, there is one HUGE major flaw with it and reason enough that I wouldn't recommend buying one. You can't buy parts. Normally, that's not a problem as I'm a DIY guy, but the roll and yaw axis is not simply redone with DIY parts. My roll axis was a little loose today and I went to tighten it up and I couldn't. Means I need parts as it's getting a little sloppy. I can re-engineer that part as long as I'm flying it and don't need to flip it on a hand held. However, if it were the yaw, I'd be S.O.L. Pisses me off that dealers will sell a gimbal that parts aren't available readily available for. I've emailed DYS, I've called dealers and spent many hours with google looking for the parts. No luck.

SamaraMedia

Thanks jfro. I wonder how difficult it is to get spare parts from any of the gimbal manufacturers? Some are priced so cheap that I guess they figure why repair when you can just replace it. I would like to find a medium range, 4:3/dslr gimbal , in the range of $1000-$1500, minus controller. Sub 1k would be great but that might be asking too much. I'd really like to stay away from the Zenmuse line for the simple fact you're married to one focal length. I know they work well but I would like the flexibility of changing lens if needed.

jfro

Aerial Fun
It's interesting that the DYS Centerpiece gimbal shows up under many different names and the price range is from around $500-$600 on up to around $1110 or so. I've seen it even lower without controllers.

I'm also looking to buy or build a smaller/ lighter gimbal that will hold something like a gh2 and fly on a heavy lift quad or maybe a y6 getting decent flight times.

IMO, the yaw motor cage and roll cage are what the manufactures don't want to sell. The rest is easy for a DIY to build and the parts are inexpensive and simple to build or buy and then to build. It's unreal to me that we would knowingly buy equipment where we can't buy parts when something is broken. I don't think I should have to buy a new 200, 300, 400, 500, or any other priced gimbal just because we break a part that is a small part in the overall gimbal.

SamaraMedia

Well maybe I will look closer at the Qaudframe setup since they sell the 3rd axis cage as a singular unit, and it looks pretty beefy, with a variety of vibration isolation mounts. Just need to buy the motor separately. It seems light enough, minus the 3 leg RLG, and will fit a variety of cameras. I've bought product from them in the past and have had good customer service and very reasonable pricing. May consider their Y6 foldable frame for a winter project.

Rusty over at AGL Hobbies had a nice little gimbal setup be has announced he is closing shop, too bad, I have his UAP1 hexacopter and really like it. He provided the ability to purchase parts for his designs.

The search goes on...

Av8Chuck

Well maybe I will look closer at the Qaudframe setup since they sell the 3rd axis cage as a singular unit, and it looks pretty beefy, with a variety of vibration isolation mounts. Just need to buy the motor separately. It seems light enough, minus the 3 leg RLG, and will fit a variety of cameras. I've bought product from them in the past and have had good customer service and very reasonable pricing. May consider their Y6 foldable frame for a winter project.

Rusty over at AGL Hobbies had a nice little gimbal setup be has announced he is closing shop, too bad, I have his UAP1 hexacopter and really like it. He provided the ability to purchase parts for his designs.

The search goes on...

Wow, Rusty's going out of business? I think I purchased one of my first Hex's from him six years or so ago. Sorry to hear that.

Jakubs foldable frames are very well designed. Might not be as quick and easy to fold as an S900 but they are as rigid as the unfolding version which makes them much better than any DJI frame.

SamaraMedia

Yeah, just visited his site looking for some gimbal options and saw the sad news. I do recall early fall reading on his site that he was pulling back and selling down his stock. Sad news anyone that's been involved in multi's is getting out.

SamaraMedia

View attachment 21946

My Quadframe.us V2 medium sized gimbal arrived last night, starting the unboxing process and build this morning. Product quality and attention to detail is impressive. Will be mounted under a 900mm DIY hex using either the AlexMos original 8 bit board with 3rd axis expansion (that board should arrive today or tomorrow) or a CP which is on backorder and supposed to ship around the 8th of this month.

Attachments

• Quadframe gimbal.jpg
    Quadframe gimbal.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 244

Filthy

Wondering if anyone here has experience with using this Phobotic board to upgrade an existing 8-bit gimbal setup? I have a Defy G5 that I was considering to sell. Works great as is. But the increased functionality and improved perfromance has peaked my interest. I'm now wondering how daunting the upgrade process is for someone with limited electronics experience and basic soldering skills. Any advice is welcome.

Av8Chuck

No quite sure I understand your concern. There's not a lot of soldering to do on this board. The only soldering I had to do was the power cables. Its a bit bigger than the AlexMos but it pretty much mounts the same way and is quite intuitive to tune.

Its not that different from any other gimbal controller in that you need to be able to balance the gimbal/camera on all axis's.

The only downside when compared to the Alexmos is the price, but I found it to be a much better user experience and I got to much better results quicker and easier. So for me I think its worth it.

SamaraMedia

In my case yes. Quadframe gimbal arrived and mostly assembled. AM 3rd axis board arrive so I've got that to toy with if I find time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk