Panasonic GH2 and Sony CX730 comparison

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
It turns out I only have X800 aerial footage. The X900 footage is on a tripod in the yard. Anyway, the differences between the X800 and the X900 are in features, image-wise they are identical.

There was little point in doing a split screen with the CX730 because, as you can see, it was barely out of winter so the whole feel, colours and atmosphere are wildly different from the CX730 footage shot two or three weeks ago. The CX730 can still be seen in the GH2 comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kari

It turns out I only have X800 aerial footage. The X900 footage is on a tripod in the yard. Anyway, the differences between the X800 and the X900 are in features, image-wise they are identical.

There was little point in doing a split screen with the CX730 because, as you can see, it was barely out of winter so the whole feel, colours and atmosphere are wildly different from the CX730 footage shot two or three weeks ago. The CX730 can still be seen in the GH2 comparison.

Look very good stability wise. This is definitely worth considering for camcorder.

PaNt

guys the cx730 and cx760 has the internal memory as a difference only??!

So does the SOny or cameras like these do a bettter job to the footages?!

hexa

Check out the canon xa10. It will eat the Sony and gh2 for breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canon 50mbps and 4:2:2 color sampling are great but the camera does not have the amazing stabilization of the Sony and it's too big to be mounted on the Zenmuse.

Macsgrafs

Does anyone have any footage of the Panasonic X900M taken from a MR? I did find one film on vimeo, downloaded it but the quality when panning was terrible...still don't know if its the cam or vimeo?
I'm looking at the Sony PJ760 myself, that looks very nice, though none are as sharp as the panasonic X900!!!

Ross

PaNt

yes but only 28Bitrate , no other lens

No problem there is no need for something else...1 only the wide adapter...1 The quality is very good..!!!

Also the CX730 and the 740 and 760 has a difference only in internal memory right??!
Thank you!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Does anyone have any footage of the Panasonic X900M taken from a MR? ....

I tested the X900 along with a whole bunch of other cameras. I may have X900 video somewhere but I definitely have X800. The X900 is physically larger and has some extra features but both cameras use the same sensor and hybrid OIS. The X800 has a marginal advantage in one area - the composite video output socket is just accessible (with a bit of judicious shaving of the plastic connector) with the screen open and reversed, whereas the larger screen of the X900 completely masks the same socket.

The X900 is bigger, heavier, has a viewfinder, a QuickMenu button for PASM settings and a rotary lens wheel for Focus/Iris adjustment. The X800 has to do everything via its touch screen.

The Sony CX730 has a very effective OIS system, although it does not address the Roll axis. It too has a multi-function button/wheel for PASM settings that turns out to be virtually useless as many of the settings are Either/Or. This means the camera can never be set to Full Manual, it is always in a priority semi-manual mode. The CX series also features the most stupid lens hood ever conceived. Video quality/resolution from the two is comparable with the Panasonic colour looking less 'candy' than the Sony. With regard to pan 'stutter', neither of these cameras is outstanding and neither approaches the GH2 which handles pan very, very well.

Here is the X800 vid:

And here is the GH2/Sony CX730 test vid:

sickan

I see a lot of really good movies and as a amateur I wonder what your favorite settings are on the Sony. I have a CX740.

Do you shoot I manual mode med infinity focus for example? Shutter speed? And so on...

--
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks MF, so it seems a hacked GH2 is the way to go then ;) Does the GH2 have OIS?

Ross

The GH2 has what Panasonic calls MEGA OIS, with three levels of stabilisation. However, in Movie Mode only the first level is available, the other two are for stills only. The biggest bummer with the GH2 is the stupid video out options. Composite out is only available for playback - and thus an entirely pointless inclusion - and 720p50 record settings default to 1080i50 if the HDMI output is used. 1080p24 record settings do not change. The trouble is, the GH2 video clarity is so good that we have to accept these inconveniences.

I am still waiting for definitive and clear information as to whether or not the GH3 will rectify the messy HDMI issue.

Early reports of the GH3 do not appear to be wildly enthusiastic and, despite Panasonic claims to have updated the firmware to comply with much of the GH2 hacks, there are some doubts as to its superiority over the GH2 video quality. For the time being GH2 prices have not dropped.

Macsgrafs

The GH2 has what Panasonic calls MEGA OIS, with three levels of stabilisation. However, in Movie Mode only the first level is available, the other two are for stills only. The biggest bummer with the GH2 is the stupid video out options. Composite out is only available for playback - and thus an entirely pointless inclusion - and 720p50 record settings default to 1080i50 if the HDMI output is used. 1080p24 record settings do not change. The trouble is, the GH2 video clarity is so good that we have to accept these inconveniences.

I am still waiting for definitive and clear information as to whether or not the GH3 will rectify the messy HDMI issue.

Early reports of the GH3 do not appear to be wildly enthusiastic and, despite Panasonic claims to have updated the firmware to comply with much of the GH2 hacks, there are some doubts as to its superiority over the GH2 video quality. For the time being GH2 prices have not dropped.

I so wish Panasonic & Sony would get together & release a joint camera...with the best of both included...I'd pay a few quid for that one.
Mind you the canon range of SLR's have "Magic lantern" hacks.....they rpoduce great results from what I've seen. I currently use a 40D so have many lenses for canons, would hate to change & buy new lenses again :(

Ross

E-Copter

Hi,

the Cx 740 works great, at the condition that you disable the " smile" detection, as simple as that :)

Then it's better to use manual exposure if recording between buildings for example, and setup the focus as per your preferences.

Stabilisation is really very, very good and regarding the pan, there is just one thing to take into consideration : if the pan movement is too quick, the lens will go to it's limit in moving on the pan axis and will have to get back to neutral, which will give some hick ups in the pan. If the pan command is smooth enough, then it will handle it no problems. When compressing to H264 and then uploading to vimeo it looks a bit hecky but original file is really smooth on the pan, realy no troubles !

Here is a quick video made this afternoon, it's not post stabilised at all and my gimbal is not yet perfectly setup on roll compensation.

the Tilt movement at 2mn is simply because i switched from horizontal / tilted position with a switch (i was alone, and did nto have a slider available on the transmitter so i affected a switch)

Now using the MIkrokopter Lan CTRL, you can record, take still pictures and control zoom + it has a led to indicate the status which is really very useful, even if you don't use a Mikrokopter board (and i don't use Mikrokotper boards so it's even better for me) :)

BEst regards,
Fabien

Macsgrafs

Very nice Fabien, very smooth footage. I did leave a comment for you on vimeo as well ;)
What FC are you running?

Ross

E-Copter

Hi,

the Fc i'm using is a "beta" unit and i will be able to tell more about it in a few weeks maybe. :)

All i can say for now, is that i used Wookong and Mikrokopter and i will not go back to WK /MK now that i fly that " Box" which is much smoother and powerfull that the both MK /WK together, but that's only my personal point of view ...

Best regards,

Fabien