Panasonic GH2 and Sony CX730 comparison

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The recent hubbub over the Sony CX7xx series camcorders meant I just had to try one. Video capable DSLR's and hybrids are great but I would really prefer to have a camcorder. A tool designed specifically for the task.

I pitted it against a GH2 loaded with the Sanity5 hack. This is supposed to be a low level mild patch but it still has the power to freeze the 95mbs/64GB extreme Pro SDXC card now and then. The GH2 has practically all the manual options one could ever want plus three incredibly useful memories for user settings. These permit instant changing between three totally different camera setups.

The CX730 would be offering 1080p50 video, a reportedly brilliant lens stabilisation system and remote zoom. Sadly, the manual options are absolutely pathetic and the BOSS OIS does not stabilise the Roll Axis - which is actually the one axis that needs stabilising before any thing else.

The CX730 produces pleasing colour straight out of the camera, much like a Canon, but the image sharpness sometimes lacks 'wow', although it IS better than the NEX. The GH2 colour is rather hard-edged somehow but the overall clarity is yet to be surpassed. It honestly produces better images than my Panasonic P2, for a quarter of the weight and a tenth of the price.

The rear screen and buttons of the GH2 permit easy access for making last minute adjustments. The illegible touch-screen (once the camera is in place in the gimbal) and tiresome menu structure of the Sony mean that the CX730 has to be pulled out of the gimbal everytime anything needs to be verified or changed.

The composite video output of the CX730 allows easy and direct connection to the video downlink. Unfortunately, absolutely NO camera info is sent down this line. Not even confirmation that record is enabled. The GH2 has the idiotic HDMI that gets even worse by changing the camera settings if it is used.

This vid is just a resolution and colour comparison between the two. Both cameras were recording to 1920 x 1080p at 25 fps with zooms on max-wide. Colour palettes were set to 'Standard' on the GH2 and 'Landscape' on the CX730. The GH2 was ƒ18 @ 100fps, ISO160 with manual infinity focus and level 1 of its Mega OIS. CX730 with its feeble manual options was on full-auto, so I have no clue what exposure settings it had selected, and its BOSS OIS was set at Standard.

Both cameras were carried by a Droidworx AD-8 HLE multi-rotor with a PhotoHigher AV200/360 gimbal (pan axis disabled) using a Picloc 3X Pro. Wind was gusting to 28kph (verify with the 'dancing tree' wind meter). Camera files were imported into Final Cut Pro with Log & Transfer. No post processing has been applied, other than the split screen and captions.

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

The manual controls issue does seem to be a bit of a shame - I presume they are playing the marketing game - want more manual controls? get a more expensive model!

Regarding the picture - I'm a complete newb on video, but the difference here seems to me to be the same as that which exists between Canon and Nikon DSLRs: more out-of-the-camera "punch" on the Panasonic. But the Sony seems to be showing more dynamic range (the shadow detail under the tree). If this was still imaging, I'd feel I could "do more" with the Sony footage, if you see what I mean.

The only camera I've spotted that does full 5-axis stabilisation (on the sensor) is the Olympus OM-D but it's video is limited.

ChrisViperM

Thanks for doing all the work involved in writing this comparison....we need a lot more of that kind of stuff... I own a GH2 and I guess I will stay with it.

DennyR

Yeah, a useful contribution. I have waited to see something else come along and as yet I don't see it.

My new camera will be a 5D 111 with a 40mm lens. and yes I can get it into a modified Zen. I have simulated the weight and it is OK, the rest is just some CNC work to produce a few new parts.

I've searched high and low for an answer but haven't seen anything as of lately. Can the gh2 record while in live view through the hdmi port?

ChrisViperM

The GH2 will showLive View during recording only via the HDMI-port, but NOT via the AV Out. That's why you have to hook up a HDMI converter if you want to have a downlink.

Chris

sim_io

I was able to tell immediately that the GH2 was on the left because its the sharpest one, the one on the right shot with a cx760 looks very soft. I can see why everyone is excited by the optical stabilization but is it really worth losing sharpness, colors, manual settings over a slightly more stabilized shot? Its $600 more than a GH2, the cx730's shot still needs to be stabilized and by the time you do that you already cropped out the edges and made the image less sharp than it is right now. I think if you have money to blow then you might as well go straight to the zenmuse.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Although the GH2 allows monitoring via the HDMI output, with certain resolution settings it reverts to a default 1080i50. I cannot remember precisely what it is, someone has mentioned it here somewhere. I have an idea that it does this when you want to record at 720p50. Plugging in the HDMI makes it revert to 1080i50. Anyway, for this reason, and because I cannot remember exactly under what circumstances using the HDMI output makes this happen, I have been using a separate monitoring camera.

However, this is not the way I like to do it because you have no idea whether the recording is proceeding without problem. A case in point is the day I was filming this comparison. The GH2 locked up just after lift-off with the infamous "recording stopped because media is not fast enough" message (or words to that effect). I would not have known about it until after the flight. I just happened to see something weird about the camera screen before it got too far away. That would have been very embarrassing if it had been on a job.

So, all in all, ALL consumer cameras have their own particular foibles and disadvantages. For the time being, in the absence of anything definitively superior in image clarity, it seems that the GH2 still rules the roost.

I do not see any practical improvement with the Sony BOSS lens stabilisation over the Panasonic MEGA OIS. The latter is the best I have yet come across in a consumer camera in allowing panning without excessive stutter. The mechanism of the BOSS 'dancing lens' OIS simply slows down rapid pan and tilt movements, such that if you pan the camera and stop, it takes a little while for the recorded image to finally stop moving as the lens gently swings round and catches up. It is undoubtedly very clever and is certainly entertaining to watch, but in that video the GH2 system looks to be more effective.

EDIT: Hmm ... I just had another look at the vid. I think I'll retract that last statement. The Sony does cope better with jitters. Anyway, I'm with sim_io. Stick with the GH2 and put it in a Zenmuse. The GH2 will provide the sharp images and the Zenmuse will keep it still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodde73

600$ more?!!?

I was able to tell immediately that the GH2 was on the left because its the sharpest one, the one on the right shot with a cx760 looks very soft. I can see why everyone is excited by the optical stabilization but is it really worth losing sharpness, colors, manual settings over a slightly more stabilized shot? Its $600 more than a GH2, the cx730's shot still needs to be stabilized and by the time you do that you already cropped out the edges and made the image less sharp than it is right now. I think if you have money to blow then you might as well go straight to the zenmuse.

krleas

FPV Freak
600$ more?!!?

As i can see price of GH2 and CX730 is almost same. And on our CS x4 we dont need to stabilize CX730 shoots. Just put 15-20% sharpness in premiere or some other software and u have perfect footage.

Anyway GH3 comming soon and we will see.

snurre

@krleas Are you using SteadyShot Standard or Active?
I have a CX740VE about to enter service on my octa+Mega Radius camera mount.

Kari

MombasaFlash,

Thanks for great comparison. But i think there is two problems in GH2 settings in this test, first i find 720p50 is better quality than 1080 25p. I never use 25p because upscaled 720p50 is actually better. 1080 24p is better in details than 720p50 but it's 24p.

Other thing is i think you should not stop down below f/8. I think footage is very soft even at f/11 and never go there, f/18 is disaster imo. I use ND:s to keep f-stop somewhere between f/5.6-8.

DennyR

MombasaFlash,

Thanks for great comparison. But i think there is two problems in GH2 settings in this test, first i find 720p50 is better quality than 1080 25p. I never use 25p because upscaled 720p50 is actually better. 1080 24p is better in details than 720p50 but it's 24p.

Other thing is i think you should not stop down below f/8. I think footage is very soft even at f/11 and never go there, f/18 is disaster imo. I use ND:s to keep f-stop somewhere between f/5.6-8.

When your ambition is to upload it to YouTube why the concern over a slight drop in quality at 1080. Why do you think that this movie defaults to 360 P for general viewing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1fQ-3-CEFg&feature=autoplay&list=UUsO1AOwtvyPFWnxDNy9pMqw&playnext=1

Kari

When your ambition is to upload it to YouTube why the concern over a slight drop in quality at 1080. Why do you think that this movie defaults to 360 P for general viewing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1fQ-3-CEFg&feature=autoplay&list=UUsO1AOwtvyPFWnxDNy9pMqw&playnext=1

Agree, but drop between f/5.6 and f/18 with mft kit lens is not just slight. Even my Phase One lenses are noticeable softer at f/18. And if we only needed 360 quality why even bother to compare cameras, any decent pocket camera can do that? I think that's not the point.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
MombasaFlash,

I don't disagree with your 720 vs 1080 point. My preference with GH2 is also 720p50. The recent Château du Viviers video was shot with the GH2 at 720p50.

However, you have missed the point somewhat. For the purposes of that comparison the cameras had to be set as similarly as possible and there is no 720p50 option with CX730. It has 1080p50 - which the GH2 does not. So 1080p25 was the only common ground. If the comparison had been about which camera produces the outright best image under its own terms then selecting different settings for each one would be valid.

I would also agree on the f-stop point. Just like drinking, smoking and eating chocolate ... there is nothing wrong with any of them if you stay away from the extremes. Unfortunately I just don't happen to have an ND filter for the GH2 and as the weather was unusually sunny - normally unheard of around here - at 50fps and the lowest ISO of 160 it had to be stopped down.

The CX730 was on full auto so I have no doubt that it selected a nice fast shutter speed in order to optimise the aperture but ... even at f-18 the GH2 still looks better! Perhaps I should have left both cameras on full auto! Stupido. Yes, that would have been better.

Kari

I don't disagree with your 720 vs 1080 point. My preference with GH2 is also 720p50. The recent Château du Viviers video was shot with the GH2 at 720p50.

However, you have missed the point somewhat. For the purposes of that comparison the cameras had to be set as similarly as possible and there is no 720p50 option with CX730. It has 1080p50 - which the GH2 does not. So 1080p25 was the only common ground. If the comparison had been about which camera produces the outright best image under its own terms then selecting different settings for each one would be valid.

I would also agree on the f-stop point. Just like drinking, smoking and eating chocolate ... there is nothing wrong with any of them if you stay away from the extremes. Unfortunately I just don't happen to have an ND filter for the GH2 and as the weather was unusually sunny - normally unheard of around here - at 50fps and the lowest ISO of 160 it had to be stopped down.

The CX730 was on full auto so I have no doubt that it selected a nice fast shutter speed in order to optimise the aperture but ... even at f-18 the GH2 still looks better! Perhaps I should have left both cameras on full auto! Stupido. Yes, that would have been better.

I understand. So looks like GH2 with proper settings is far better in sharpness no doubt. Also like how GH2 handles colors much more nicely than anything i've seen shot with 730 yet. Skytones or extreme highlights looks often shifting slightly to candy with every sub 4k€ videocameras where GH2 handles amazingly well.