Castle Creations Speed controllers with WKM

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just planning a new HL build and was wondering how many people on here are using the Castle Creations Speed controllers.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/products_fly.html

I know they have had a firmware update which gives a Multi-Rotor setting. They have a very good reputation in other RC disciplines and their ice esc,s look the dogs jobber.

So any one using them?

Which ones?

What Motors?

What Voltage?

What MR configs.

Dave

I have no experience with em on multis but my 450 has the ice 50 aside from some weight the esc is the beez knees lol i love it. If i could afford 6 id try em out for sure

yakjock

I agree they seem good on paper, I would also like a user opinion as I am looking at them for a CX-4 build in a few months.

snurre

I am using CC Phoenix ICE50 Lite with AXI2814/22 on 4S with a CarbonCore octo 1000. My build is mainly targeted at payloads up at 2-3 kg, but I have demonstrated it can handle 4kg. But at 4 kg, uncomfortable small margins and probably no redundancy in case of motor failure.

For your payload (estimated AUW?) I reckon you would consider 5S or 6S and other motors.
My ESCs are mounted under motors -good cooling.

Maybe you already saw this and I agree it can be boring, but anyhow this is with CC ESC and 4kg payload:

Tomas

PS. The built in data logging in the CC Phoenix ICE, I find it useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Aye up RR how easy are they to set them up?

Dave

Just set four of them up for a FPV quad. Its not hard but time consuming.

Hardware steps:

Soldering main power lead
Elkos
UART/FDTI 6 pins connector
Heatsink for the Fets, additional you could add in the drivers.
PWM conncetionhe
Heatshrink.

Firmware side.

They come flashed with FW.
Probably in settings you will have to change the min PWM value, since the FC send out different idle values.
And you will have to do a calibration at a certain point to get the current limiter right. This calibration is done with props on and full throttle etc.

I like them though a lot of though went in the FW side and i am going to maiden in the next couple days to see the behaviour

Boris

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Boris.

Is anyone using the Castles?

If so how do they compare to what you where using before?

Dave

sim_io

I'm happy with the CC Phoenix 50 ICE on my CS8 WKM, I like the datalog feature because I can always go back and look at temps/amp draw after a set of flights. Its hot and humid outside and the escs are averaging 130f but I heard these ESCs can get A LOT hotter before they thermo-shut.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Any idea what the thermo shut out temp is?
Did you have to do much programming to set them up or where they straight forward?

is 130ºc as hot as they have been? Was you copter fully loaded, what was the outside temp?

Dave

I'm happy with the CC Phoenix 50 ICE on my CS8 WKM, I like the datalog feature because I can always go back and look at temps/amp draw after a set of flights. Its hot and humid outside and the escs are averaging 130f but I heard these ESCs can get A LOT hotter before they thermo-shut.

Any idea what the thermo shut out temp is?
Did you have to do much programming to set them up or where they straight forward?

is 130ºc as hot as they have been? Was you copter fully loaded, what was the outside temp?

Dave

important to note, his 130 is in F not C