Nex5n VS. GH2

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Tim, can you or someone else please explain to me how you can match the slow motion of a 60p camera with a 30p camera? Logically speaking, no matter how good each frame is, it is still only recording so many frames per second, right? So if you slow it down you will get the same glitchy-ness as you would with an ultra megapixel image sequence at the same FPS. On the GH2 you can up the bitrate substantially, but that is only decreasing the compression for each frame.I've heard this logic from others and i just dont get it.

As for what I was saying on the 5n compared to the TM900.....when i tried the TM900 and did a slow pan, the camera had a tendency to lock onto objects to help stabilize the image. This is great for when you are trying to hold still. And it was amazing even at a long zoom. BUT, for AV this has no place as you are always moving. When I tried it there was a noticeable jump when the tracking range left the screen. The Sony however had very good IS without any glitches or jumps. I should also mention that when I had the GH2 it had no issues with IS either, it was quite god as well. Furthermore I felt that this IS might be contributing to the super solid images I was getting from it.

Yuri

yeehaanow

Yuri, If you're referring to what I was talking about, I was saying it might match 60p 1080 vs 60p 720. Just a resolution difference, not a frame-rate difference.
The only way to 'match' higher frame-rates with 30p is to use a program that interpolates the frames 'in-between', like Twixtor. See the thread about slow motion for an example.

skivvie

Any more updates or opinions between these two from those that posted that they were about to try them or a new firmware hack for GH2? Trying to decide which to use with a Zenmuse ... Potentially. =]

I have a Nex 5N and Olympus E-PM1 which I use primarily for still photographs. The Oly is similar to the Panasonic cameras in question although the video is somewhat crippled in comparison.

I would like to comment about a big difference I noticed. I tried three different Sony 16mm pancake lenses and found the images to be quite soft around the corners and edges. I really like the camera otherwise so it was a real bummer finding the lens to be unsatisfactory for my needs. On the other hand, I use the Panasonic Lumix 14mm f2.5 on my Oly and it seems to be a real gem. Images are sharp all the way around and otherwise appear excellent. The lumix 14mm isn't as wide with a 4/3 sensor as the sony 16mm/big sensor but the IQ is worth the trade off in my opinion.

RyG

That Sony DSC-HX9V is extremely susceptible to Jello.

I really wanted that camera to work as it does capture a pretty impressive full HD image at 60p.
I tuned vibration isolation for days before borrowing a friends GH2.
I can't get the GH2 image to wobble with the same set up at 60p.
I think a hacked GH2 will also hold on to more detail in a busy scene.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I never saw this thread so apologies for being a bit out of date. I have a Nex-5n and a GH2. They are both supposed to be 5D alternatives for the MR's, without the flight crippling weight. First I got the Nex-5n because everyone said it was so super and I was immediately unimpressed with its soft image. I was also pissed that it does not have a composite video output, only HDMI. However, with an HDMI converter Live-Preview is available for all camera modes and works well.

Because I was not overwhelmed by the Nex's clarity I got a GH2.

We have both the Nex-5 and a GH1 and GH2. ... One thing that we particularly like about the GH1 / 2 are their ability to send composite video out. Of course, the video out turns off when you shoot (damn you Panasonic) but we do an awful lot of static shooting and being able to monitor through the lens and then snap your shot is very sweet.

Rubbish. The GH2 has composite out for playback only. Live Preview is not available through the composite out.

Yes there is a gentled for the GH2 as well...

Actually it is a gentWIRE, not a gentLED. The hard wired actuator uses the remote jack socket and will either trigger a photo or start recording video, depending upon which mode the camera is in. It is not possible to take a photo OR start recording video with the gentWIRE without changing the mode dial. The Sony Nex uses a gentLED. There are two available. One actuates the shutter only, the other actuates either shutter or Record using a three position Tx switch with centre being OFF, Photo being one side and Record being the other. If Record is activated you cannot take a photo until the vido recording is stopped - unlike the 5D gentLED which permits photos whilst recording video.

Im gonna say the Sony was my preference after owning both of these cameras. I'm no Jeff Scholl but my GH2 had soem really bad color banding issues...

After my initial disappointment with the Nex I have to say that I actually like its colour rendition. The GH2 is a bit in-your-face-garish colour whereas the Nex colour tends to be more laid back - particularly Portrait mode which looks almost filmic.

Finally, I have been super pissed that the GH2, which has ONLY HDMI out, has not been giving me Live-Preview through the HDMI converter. I have only been able to playback previously recorded video or photos. Although, it all works perfectly through an HDMI TV. I had to resort to a blasted FPV camera for monitoring, which I detest. I like to see the same image as the camera's own screen because I then know when there is a problem and I also have confirmation that the camera is actually recording or the shutter has just clicked. A separate FPV means that you cross your fingers everytime and wait until the flight is over to verify if the shutter did actually release.

But now .... HALLELUJAH. I have just received another HDMI converter and it all works perfectly. Live-Preview finally works. FPV camera already back in plastic bag. AND ... EVEN BETTER NEWS ... ths HDMI converter is not like the one we have all been using. That stonking great circuit board in the 250g metal box. This one is a petite 50mm x 60mm x 20mm with a light plastic box. I removed the phono connectors and it weighs just 38g. It is smaller, it is lighter, it is cheaper ... and it works !!!

My heartfelt thanks to whoever it was who posted THIS LINK. I shall now order another one and then ceremoniously destroy the other troublesome ba$tard.

vislaw

You took issue with my comment that the GH2 has composite out that can be used for monitoring while taking static images:

Rubbish. The GH2 has composite out for playback only. Live Preview is not available through the composite out.

As explained elsewhere in this forum and in others (see: http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5179&p=40961&viewfull=1#post40961) it's a feature you activate by using the trashcan icon. Most people don't bother with it because it doesn't allow you to monitor VIDEO through the composite out port when you are recording. However, if you make your living primarily from static AP then it is a major feature. Being able to monitor through the lens for static AP is a huge benefit that you have ignored.

yeehaanow

Good news, mombasa. Glad to hear you got it worked out, and that there is another alternative for an HDMI converter.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Quite the contrary.

Through the lens monitoring is PRECISELY what I want - whether for video or photo - and is precisely what I was going on about in that post. Fortunately both are now available to me with this new mini HDMI converter, although they should have been available all along if the other converter had worked properly. Having to use an HDMI converter on these stupid new cameras is a real pain. My pro cameras all have continuous composite out for easy transmission and through-the-lens monitoring.

If you re-read your original comment you will see that it is not actually that clear:

... One thing that we particularly like about the GH1 / 2 are their ability to send composite video out...