My Newb Okto2 Build Thread

Okay, I've fixed my solders (the new 60W iron works a charm) and added heat shrink so there won't be any chance of whiskers.

Awesome job!

I've soldered wires into the +/- on 2 of the extra pads for powering my video Tx and FPV cam. Was that the right thing to do?
Yes and no. Your Video TX and FPV cam will likely run on 12v, rather than the 16.8v that your 4Cell Battery will provide. Many, many folks recommend adding a separate, small 3Cell battery to power the Video TX/FPV Cam. Some of them even operate off of 5V, and so they use a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) to step the voltage down to 5V. If, however, you plan on flying with a 3Cell battery, then I suppose you could use these leads to power the FPV stuff. I am told that doing so tends to add a lot of 'noise' to the video.

Just to be clear, I didn't need to solder the C,D pads on the flight control and power board? I can just connect the molex? I have attached a pic of what I have.
Yes - that is correct!

By the way, I must again say that you've done a great job soldering for your first time. My first soldering job was horrible!

ctbon

Thanks, DroneBuilder!
I flung a piece of hot solder across my table when I first pulled the wires! I'm still learning the properties of the stuff. I can see why goggles are recommended :cool:

I have this battery that I intended to use for the ground station Rx. I could use a similar one on board then?

gbB4q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ctbon

Small triumph...I soldered together my MK-USB and plugged the FC into my computer's USB board and behold...lights!

fOh0D.jpg

ctbon

Major triumph today after witnessing the immense jackassness of our fair city's poor sportsmanship yesterday (we had a riot).

Anyways...finished up my main soldering

tBQQW.jpg

Smoke test...it's all good!

B4cAx.jpg

I used the 9v with the dean at first but it didn't have enough juice so I used my 11.1v 3 cell that I'm using for my FPV and it worked beautifully, 8 chirps, LED's on, all 8 lights on the board.

This one is just for fun....Vancouver last night.

riot34.jpg

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ctbon,
did you tin the motor wire pads before soldering the wires to them? maybe i'm seeing it wrong but it looks like the motor pads have a lot of copper still showing after having the wires attached to them. could you post a close up of one of the bl's where the motor wires are attached? There should be a smooth flow of solder over each pad before the wires get soldered on.
if i'm wrong i apologize in advance. :)
thanks,
bart

ctbon

I did tin them but you are right, one of them has a lot of copper showing in the pic. The picture was taken in the middle of fixing the solders and adding heat shrink to them. The one's you are looking at are pre-fix.

Now just waiting by the mailbox for the Rx that was missing from my Spektrum kit. And we are having a postal strike! :mad: Oh well, it's raining anyway. Today's project...installing Windoze on my macbook so I can run mk-tools.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Totally off subject but RIOTS IN VAN... whats going on?

Guess you are waiting on the RX so you can bind the satellite antenna.. bummer!

Dave

ctbon

Totally off subject but RIOTS IN VAN... whats going on?

Guess you are waiting on the RX so you can bind the satellite antenna.. bummer!

Dave

My Spektrum kit was supposed to have the RX, binder and telemetry stuff in the box but it had none of it so I have to wait :(

Vancouver seems to have not taken kindly to losing against the Bruins...however, I think there would have been a riot win or lose. Some people were there to start trouble.

Here is a good collection of photos http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-destruction-after-vancouvers-loss/

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
ctbon.. I thought only animal brits did that kind of thing... I REALY hope they identify as many as possible and prosecute them to the full letter of the law.. unbelievable!

Hope you get your bits and bobs soon and that they aint been burnt!

ctbon

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I can't believe the Post Office is on strike!!! I can't do anything until my Rx gets here. I'm staring at my almost finished Okto and I'm so frustrated!

GET BACK TO WORK, POSTIES!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously...this is what I'm dealing with

Should have gone with a courier.

I have had some problems with electro magnetic interference on the gyros especially the yaw. My lipo cables ran the same way as yours under the stack and next to the gyros and i believe this was causing my issue. I have since pulled them out and away from the gyros and the problem is much better but i must remove them and solder them the way Holger has in this picture http://gallery.mikrokopter.de/main.php/v/tech/Okto-Powerboard-montiert2.jpg.html you will soon figure out what the hole is for and that the cables make a short exit to the port side of the okto. My cables ran directly below the pressure sensor which explains why alt hold is ok within the first minute of flight and then starts to bounce as the cables start to heat up. If anyone could correct me thats ok. It might be ok but if you do have issues with yaw and gyros this might explain it.

Cheers

Tim

ctbon

Postal workers are back at it and I finally got package #2 which had the receiver, binder and some FPV stuff (still waiting for the T1000 Telemetry module).

My question is (because I haven't found any clear instructions on this and I don't quite understand the science yet):

Where do I attach the large receiver? Is it used on the craft or just for binding? I have seen it attached on fixed wing craft but none of the instructions that I've looked at have indicated where it goes. I know the little one is soldered to the FC but the big one?

4FP01.jpg

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ctbon,
the larger receiver isn't used with an MK flight control board. you only need it to bind the satellite to the transmitter then it goes back in the box.
there are two different methods for attaching the satellite to the FC. one is for when you're only using one satellite and the other is for when you're using the "diversity" board and more than one satellite. both are very easy to accomplish and it's also very easy to remove the satellite if you decide later to put in a diversity board.
good luck, you're getting close!
bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
CTBon

Bard correct in you only need the satellite not the main receiver. Not sure how you would use the telemetry unit though as it plugs in the side of the AR8000 unit. I think I have seen a thread on another forum somewhere but I am sure it cannot be used on the MK FC, but I will stand corrected.

Dave