My Newb Okto2 Build Thread

ctbon

I did see that, thanks, Dave.

So I've put her all together! almost...still need to put the props on. I had to trim back the LEDs to fit the landing gear. It's funny how many times you have to go back and redo things.

The problem I am having now is when I open MK Tool I get this error:

Unable to open com port (win error code 123)

any suggestions? I'm sure it's covered somewhere but you lot are so helpful :eek:

l01zq.jpg

81ETW.jpg

Crash

Defies Psychics
I did see that, thanks, Dave.

So I've put her all together! almost...still need to put the props on. I had to trim back the LEDs to fit the landing gear. It's funny how many times you have to go back and redo things.

The problem I am having now is when I open MK Tool I get this error:

Unable to open com port (win error code 123)

any suggestions? I'm sure it's covered somewhere but you lot are so helpful :eek:

Open the terminal window and pick the correct com port.

The negative pad looks a little sketchy.

Cover the baro sensor with foam and heatshrink.

Kirk

ctbon

Open the terminal window and pick the correct com port.

Thanks, Kirk, but I think I need more clear instructions. What is the correct com port? I just picked up this XP netbook specifically for mk-tools but I'm usually a Mac user.

Crash

Defies Psychics
Plug it into MK and you should hear the computer beep.

In win XP, there will be an icon on bottom right that says "safely remove hardware'. Double click that to open and look at what com ports are being used.
You probably have Win7 though and I do not have enough seat time to tell you what to do exactly.

The other thing to do is to plug just the MKUSB into the computer. Then open MKTools and look for the flickering RX or TX LED on the MKUSB. If it isn't flickering when the data/debug screen is showing then you need to go to the terminal screen in MKTool and change the com port. Then click debug to go back to the debug/data screen and check again. The LED will only flicker on the debug screen with the correct com port picked, it will not flicker in the terminal.

Also make sure the red strip on the cable is on pin 1 on both sides. The labeling is somewhat deceiving and more than one person has gotten it backwards. Better yet take a picture of the cabling so we don't go round in circles and pull our hair out.

ctbon

Thanks a lot for replying to me, Crash. I am indeed on XP. It's the last windows I've used so I'm fairly familiar with it. I'm not sure I installed the right driver in the right place!?! I don't have the option to 'safely remove hardware' anymore. Is there any other way to find out which port is being used?

I'm sure I've done the cable correctly but I attached pics anyway.

There is no flicker on the lights when I open mktool...just the port error...same when I click on debug.

sorry for the blur on this...iphone doesn't macro well
Xd6bt.jpg

lP9SJ.jpg

Crash

Defies Psychics
Ouch,
OK, that one pic gave me eyeball hemorrhages. ;)

At this point I'm trying to figure out if the computer can talk to the MKUSB. So leave the copter out of the equation. Pull the 10 pin cable off. Just use the MKUSB and the USB cable. You should see the leds flicker a couple times and go out when the MKUSB is first plugged into the computer. Do you see that?

BTW, Pin 5 of the MKUSB appears to be a cold joint. That's not your problem but it leads me to believe that everything else may be suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Defies Psychics
Wha?!?! Heeeeyyy!
Well yes. I've seen it more than once. Those particular joints are relatively easy to solder. The caps, bl-ctrl, and distribution board need 'it' better.
Wait 30 days and tell me I'm wrong. ;)

I don't care if I am wrong but I try to save people some 'MK bucks'. ;)

It's June 30 and the clock is ticking.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
CTbon.. I am with Crash on the soldering. not sure what the wired for on the + / - pads on the flight control board but I would go back and get some more solder on there. Since trying to repair my ADX I have learn't a lot about soldering. Patience and just coz the solder has run does not always mean is done. If I look back at my first attempts on the motor wires and caps its was terrible but because I had to keep checking and double checking everything andf after taking my dis board out at least a dozen times my soldering looks the bollocks and as good as when I got her from Dightec (well almost).. just remember nice shiney flat bottom blobs!

We aint slamming u buddy, we just trying to help and as Crash says it all about saving you down the line

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks, Kirk, but I think I need more clear instructions. What is the correct com port? I just picked up this XP netbook specifically for mk-tools but I'm usually a Mac user.

Ctbon. I am a mac user and use Bootcamp on my MBP running XP. I had a right mare getting it up and running but I am using a bluetooth connection. I am travelling home today after working away in London. The wether is looking great for flying this weekend so I will be carrying out flight testing all weekend before giving her a clean bill of health. I will check out how and what port I am using and how it is connected when I get home.. You hoping to maiden this weekend? If you PM your email I can send you pics and stuff of my set up.

Good luck

Dave

ctbon

MK Tool is working! I just didn't put the right driver in or ?? anyways, I uninstalled then re-installed the driver and it worked fine. How about some plugnplay here...it's 2011! Okay so after getting that sorted, I plug in my MK and in the centre panel it says Setting 3 Quadro and Missing BL-Ctrl:1 !!

in details it says:

- BL Ctrl missing (check connections & mixer setup)
- no receiver signal (this is corrected when I turn on my Tx)

Also, when I click on settings I get : WARNING Flight-Ctrl is NOT compatible to this Mikrokopter-Tool (FC:84 PC:85)
Please update to the latest Mikrokopter-Tool AND firmware versions. SETTING dialog deactivated! Update functions are still active...!

I am running MK Tool v1.74b

I should also mention that when I plug her in I'm getting the 8 chirps and all lights on the BL-Ctrls are on (red&green)

Update: I updated the firmware and now I can get into the settings but I can't find mixer control or where I change from Quadro to Okto.

Update: Durp! RTFM...okay, of course, hold the ALT key down while clicking settings.

Problem: Octo2 settings in mixer, still says BL-Ctrl missing, steady red/green lights on BL-Ctrl.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
You have written your changed havent you? easy mistake when you have been at it for ages and its nearly midnight!

Can you see your stick inputs working ok and have you set them up correctly?

Dave

ctbon

I did write the changes (though it took me a few bangs of my head against the desk...nothing intuitive here) but the error still occurs. Stick inputs seem to be working though I didn't really check them all...just gas.

What could the steady led's mean? The manual says that is when the Rx isn't getting a signal. In FC, the steady red turns off when I switch on my Tx and the Rx light comes on so I know that's working OK but the leds on the BL-Ctrl remain steady, both red and green.

Chris

ctbon

:D ok...this is embarrassing but I will tell you anyways...I didn't have the molex connected.

All systems go!

ctbon

Here she is.
YCAWC.jpg

Now, I just need to get the Tx to talk to the bird. Anyone have a DX8? Stick movements were showing up in MK Tool but I'm not sure if it's all set right because I couldn't do the calibrations.

ctbon

Figured it out...needs to be set to Spektrum (high resolution) to work. I had it set to Spektrum.

Just maiden'ed her! Took her to the field by our place and flew her til the low battery warning. Did a flip, pitched her in to the grass a couple of times but overall no damage. Well, that's not entirely true. The tilt servo on the camera mount is stuck. I don't know how it happened but I'll have to fix it.

yzQB4.jpg

It's stuck like that!