My Newb Okto2 Build Thread

ctbon

Hi all,

Instead of blogging to an audience of none, I thought I would post my build blog here so I can share my trials and tribulations with the fine folks at MRF.

Today I received my first package from Quadrocopter.us who have been great to deal with.

Included was:

Okto2 Basic set (pre-soldered board) with HiLander 26 landing gear
2x VoltOn (Batterist) 6600mAh LiPo's
DX8 System
Vuzix video goggles
Hyperion EOS 0730i NET3 charger/balancer
12v ground station battery
MD1 Camera mount

still waiting for:

FPV cam
FPV tx/rx

Attachments

• P1000222.jpg
    P1000222.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 430
Last edited by a moderator:

CopterCam

Good luck with your build and thanks for your offer of the blog. Exciting times lay ahead but tinged with apprehension no doubt...............

Sid

ctbon

Trying to attach the motors to the outriggers has been crazy frustrating. Probably because I don't have a magnetic screwdriver. It seems absolutely essential to have one so back to the store I go. Does anyone here use heat shrink tubing? Any tips?

Macsgrafs

Trying to attach the motors to the outriggers has been crazy frustrating. Probably because I don't have a magnetic screwdriver. It seems absolutely essential to have one so back to the store I go. Does anyone here use heat shrink tubing? Any tips?
Have you got an old speaker? If so pull the screwdriver across it a few times & then you wont have to go to the store.

ctbon

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Speaker trick works a charm, Macsgrafs!

I'm glad I checked the forum before going out. :D

Motors are now attached...quick and easy thanks to the magic of magnets!

View attachment 388

Attachments

• P1020333.jpg
    P1020333.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 299

ctbon

Bartman! I read your thread after I ran the wires...oh well. I sure don't want to take 'em all out. I did use some adhesive on the motor screws but not on the center plate. Should I take them out and use adhesive? They feel very tight.

Here is where I'm at now...I'M GOING TO STOP FOR THE DAY AND HAVE A BEER. Hah! I didn't mean to hit the caps lock but I'll leave it...it's fitting. Cheers for all the help, guys!

View attachment 389View attachment 390

Attachments

• P1020334.jpg
    P1020334.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 258
  • P1020335.jpg
    P1020335.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 244

ctbon

Check out this Bl-Ctrl soldering guide and how they are using glue for stabilizing the BL-Ctrls to the power distribution board.

http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MK-Kopter_PowerboardXL

Thanks, ovdt! but I cheated and had the board pre-soldered :D because...well, frankly, I was afraid of messing it up.

btw that google site guide is a great addition to the official MK instructions. I'm finding it much easier to figure out what's going on using both instead of just one. The instructions are often a bit sparse and I'm using the pictures to guide me a lot.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
a good blob of hot glue around the base of each cap on the power dist board is good measure also as they vibrate and bend on their own. just don't get glue by the motor wire pads as it can contaminate your solder if you're going to pull a wire.
bart

ctbon

I didn't add the angle adaptors when I mounted the motors. It wasn't mentioned in Reece2's guide. Are they necessary?