Matts PVC T-QUAD

SamaraMedia

That was sweet Matt! I'm building my own DYI gimbal for my HoverThings FPV, waiting for my AlexMos controller to arrive. Ordered from Flyduino a couple weeks back but tracking shipment from overseas has been a challenge. Just ordered another today from UAVProducts stateside, should see it in a couple of days. Should be finishing up the design today. I'll post photos of my gimbal, got any of yours?

JW

Thanks for the advice Matt :)
I don't think i will have a lot of problems with flying. With racing electric and petrol RC's cars and flying indoor electric choppers plus my little AR Drone i have a some confidence. The AR Drone is still in one piece and haven't broken a single rotor....lol....so far so good. I think i settled on the Phantom as it is price wise just about the same as your DIY project and i can build on that.
I will be down your way during the June long weekend and would like to catch up with you if you are in town and have a look at your awesome quad and learn a few things from you.
Btw the wife is going in June for holidays to the USA. Do you need something from there? Just txt her what you need and she will bring it back. She is bringing back the GoPro3 black edition for me already :p
To be honest it is not the flying alone what got me..it's your awesome videos that got me hooked.
Keep up the good work.

mattsPVC

Thanks. I used a 35mm film canister. I cut a hole in one end to fit over the lens. And used double sided tape to keep it in place.
I then I trimmed it, till it was no longer in the picture. I used the LCD back to help.

plingboot

Wouldn't mind seeing a few detail photos of that gimbal and wire isolator if/when you get chance.

There's something very appealing/satisfying about this quad which makes me want to build one too.

mattsPVC

Attachments

• 001 gimbal measurements.jpg
    001 gimbal measurements.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 473
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 393
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 383
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 371
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 448
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 298
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 310

mattsPVC

Talon V2

I have been searching for a replacement for T-Quad for some time, now that my flying skills have improved. And I am less likely to crash.
I have settled on the Turnigy Talon V2. Because it will save me some weight approx 150grams. And it has enougth space to fit the NAZA and power board inside.
The only modification I have made to the frame is to cut the arms, so its 400mm motor to motor. Compared to 550mm motor to motor.

I have also upgraded my motors to Tiger MT2212-11 1100kv. These are custom made motors and are only available from a few places.
I end up getting them from rcrotorpro.com.
How do they compare to my NTM 2826 1200kv motors? Very smooth and quiet, and very powerful. So much power that I had to go down to 8x4.5 propellors. Was using 9x4.7 on the NTM's. (The Tiger MT2212-13 980kv would probally be better suited to 9x4.7 props)

Everthing else is the same as T-Quad. So the only thing I have changed is the frame, motors and propellers. and saved approx 150grams.
Total AUW weight now is 1330grams. Thats with everything including my brushless gimbal.

I am using the following hardware:
Frame: Talon V2
Flight controller: DJI Naza V1 (Firmware 3.12)
Motors: Tiger MT 2212-11 kv:1100
Propellors: Gemfan 8x4.5 carbon/nylon mix (balanced)
ESC: CarbonBird 18a
Battery: Zippy Compact 3s 4000mah 25c
FPV camera: CarbonBird
Video Transmitter: 1.3ghz 400mw
Brushless Gimbal Controller: Alexmos (Firmware 1.3)
Brushless Gimbal: 2 Axis (Home Made)http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11332-DIY-Brushless-Gimbal-with-Wire-Rope-Isolation
Camera: Gopro 3 Black (1080p 50fps, medium lens)
Radio: JR DSX9 MK2 2.4G DSM2 Transmitter
AUW: 1330 grams
(My PVC T-Quad weighed 1475grams with the same setup, though with NTM 2826 1200kv motors)
Hover time: 11 minutes
Flight Time: 8 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

I have been searching for a replacement for T-Quad for some time, now that my flying skills have improved. And I am less likely to crash.
I have settled on the Turnigy Talon V2. Because it will save me some weight approx 150grams. And it has enougth space to fit the NAZA and power board inside.
The only modification I have made to the frame is to cut the arms, so its 400mm motor to motor. Compared to 550mm motor to motor.

I have also upgraded my motors to Tiger MT2212-11 1100kv. These are custom made motors and are only available from a few places.
I end up getting them from rcrotorpro.com.
How do they compare to my NTM 2826 1200kv motors? Very smooth and quiet, and very powerful. So much power that I had to go down to 8x4.5 propellors. Was using 9x4.7 on the NTM's. (The Tiger MT2212-13 980kv would probally be better suited to 9x4.7 props)

Everthing else is the same as T-Quad. So the only thing I have changed is the frame, motors and propellers. and saved approx 150grams.
Total AUW weight now is 1330grams. Thats with everything including my brushless gimbal.

I am using the following hardware:
Frame: Talon V2
Flight controller: DJI Naza V1 (Firmware 3.12)
Motors: Tiger MT 2212-11 kv:1100
Propellors: Gemfan 8x4.5 carbon/nylon mix (balanced)
ESC: CarbonBird 18a
Battery: Zippy Compact 3s 4000mah 25c
FPV camera: CarbonBird
Video Transmitter: 1.3ghz 400mw
Brushless Gimbal Controller: Alexmos (Firmware 1.3)
Brushless Gimbal: 2 Axis (Home Made)http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11332-DIY-Brushless-Gimbal-with-Wire-Rope-Isolation
Camera: Gopro 3 Black (1080p 50fps, medium lens)
Radio: JR DSX9 MK2 2.4G DSM2 Transmitter
AUW: 1330 grams
(My PVC T-Quad weighed 1475grams with the same setup, though with NTM 2826 1200kv motors)
Hover time: 11 minutes
Flight Time: 8 minutes

Well done Matt. The talon frame certainly felt of good quality. 1.33kg is impressively light for a little rig that gives such a brilliant result. It think the upgrade in Motors to tigers was a great idea too. I was amazed when you showed me that small area to cram the Naza into, I thought it'd not fit. how many mm did you have to spare?

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
Matt, nice stuff again. A couple questions-
why did you make the frame so small, I just finished a 500mm quad and it seems small?
do you use a switcher on your vid tx for the 2 cameras?
you still fly goggles?
did you feel "dirty" building a pre made kit?
what you got against landing gear?
did the dude punch you for not helping push his sh##ty truck out of the mud?

thanks-tom

nicwilke

why did you make the frame so small, I just finished a 500mm quad and it seems small?
you still fly goggles?

thanks-tom

Heheh, I thought that the guy bogged in the mud would start getting the ****s with the drone above. heheh. Was that your brother Matt? the guy in the prado?
I think landing gear to Matt is dead weight tstike. When I fly with this dude, he's amazing to watch, just immersed in the goggs. Lifts up a hand and grabs the food processor out of the air with no regard for his fingers. LOL.

mattsPVC

you still fly goggles?

thanks-tom

The reason I have made it small is to keep the arms out of the view of the gopro. Especially now with the Brushless gimbal in forward flight.
I am not using a video switch yet. I just guess where the gopro is looking. A video switch is next on my list.
I don't feel that bad about using a kit. The main reason I started with the PVC T-Quad was to learn all I could from making my own.
I still fly using goggles.

I know I am not setting a good example when hand launching and catching.

So I would not recommend hand catching your multirotor. Unless you are confident in your machine and yourself. I am fully aware that one day it might bite me. And a trip to outpatient's would follow.
There has been plenty of times where I have ditched it because I was not confident in hand catching.
With the new DJI Naza firmware 3.12 it will not start the motors unless the quad is very still.
So now it takes a couple of times to start the motors when hand launching.

It took two cars to get him out.

nicwilke

That second video at the reserve is freakin' phenomenal. FPV?

When you flew under the tree trunk near the end, I was grinnin' from ear to ear. Awesome.

Ben, Matt astounds me with his flying skills. He's totally immersed with the quad. He moves the camera like hes sitting in a cinema chair. He'd be very suited to YONDER BLUE as a pilot or camera man. I'm trying to convince him to build a 2 man rig with me, something big!!! C'mon Matt.. what do you reckon?