Go Home = go nuts and crash!

srbell

I've heard this happening before, but I thought it was some setup/user problem. My WKm works perfectly, very stable on my Carbon Scarab ysix. So today I decide to try the return home function. I changed my 3way switch from GPS-ATTi-Manual to GPS-ATTi-Failsafe. Get a quick GPS lock, no red lights and up I go. Flip the switch from GPS past Atti to Failsafe and wait. The craft starts back, but then pitches violently to one side and starts to spin! Tried three times, all with a total lack of stability. My GPS is located far from any electronics as you can see in the photo. Any Ideas?View attachment 3058

Attachments

• _D3C8471.jpg
    _D3C8471.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 376

I've heard this happening before, but I thought it was some setup/user problem. My WKm works perfectly, very stable on my Carbon Scarab ysix. So today I decide to try the return home function. I changed my 3way switch from GPS-ATTi-Manual to GPS-ATTi-Failsafe. Get a quick GPS lock, no red lights and up I go. Flip the switch from GPS past Atti to Failsafe and wait. The craft starts back, but then pitches violently to one side and starts to spin! Tried three times, all with a total lack of stability. My GPS is located far from any electronics as you can see in the photo. Any Ideas?View attachment 4440

Hi,

First most important part of this set up is..! Three way switch it should be set up with this order - MANUAL -ATTI - GPS
if you decide to test the failsafe function. it has to be programmed secondary switch ( slave switch ) or turn off the Radio
before you do so it has to be calibrated thru Dji assistant screen make sure the slider drop on to the failsafe zone..!

Shiu

srbell

Hi,

First most important part of this set up is..! Three way switch it should be set up with this order - MANUAL -ATTI - GPS
if you decide to test the failsafe function. it has to be programmed secondary switch ( slave switch ) or turn off the Radio
before you do so it has to be calibrated thru Dji assistant screen make sure the slider drop on to the failsafe zone..!

Shiu

Not sure if I'm following you on this. Why do I need a separate switch? I set the three position switch using ATV so instead of going into manual mode, it falls into the failsafe region on the DJI assistant software. The wookong sees the same pulse width as if I were to use a separate switch. Shouldn't is go info failsafe anywhere in-between GPS-ATTI-Manual?

TIA

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Not sure if I'm following you on this. Why do I need a separate switch? I set the three position switch using ATV so instead of going into manual mode, it falls into the failsafe region on the DJI assistant software. The wookong sees the same pulse width as if I were to use a separate switch. Shouldn't is go info failsafe anywhere in-between GPS-ATTI-Manual?

TIA

Hook up to the software, got to TX calibration, move your sticks and hold them off of center, engage fail safe. Do all the sliders go to center etc. ???

We will gt it figured out for you.

TIA

Hi,

1) You don't need a separate switch i left that as a option or turn off the TX

2)Shouldn't is go info failsafe anywhere in-between GPS-ATTI-Manual? yes it does, i don't think you can able use same switch ( three way switch)
this feature intended to work when you lost the signal,while you in GPS mode or ATTI mode

3) when you are in GPS to activate failsafe function - GPS - failsafe - ATTI

4) when you are in ATTI to activate failsafe function - ATTI- failsafe- MANUAL

shiu

srbell

Hook up to the software, got to TX calibration, move your sticks and hold them off of center, engage fail safe. Do all the sliders go to center etc. ???

We will gt it figured out for you.

Went into my Assistant software to try this and thought I should also check the firmware. With everything on the calibration stick position display is going insane. The stick positions are moving all over the place. I suspect my receiver (sbus) and rebind, no change. Back to the firmware, it's the current version. Upload it again and the erratic movement is gone. Weird and probably not related to my problme, but who knows. OK, holding the sticks off center and flipping the switch to fail safe.... no effect on the stick position. Here's a screen shot, they still go where I move them. View attachment 3081

Attachments

• FailSafe.JPG
    FailSafe.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 288

srbell

Ok, the erratic behaviour is back. Looking at the calibration section, all four sticks and flight modes are randomly moving all over the place along with a RX-ERR flashing. Swapped the receiver and changed the transmitter with the same results. Being I'm using three channel sbus receivers I plugged some servos into channels 1 to 3, the roll, pitch and throttle channels. The servos are steady and centered. I also have a sbus decoder which agian shows no erratic behavior. I thought maybe there a problem with the assistant software or usb cable but the gimbal running off my WooKong is going insane. Maybe this is the reason for the erratic flights I experienced during RTH function. Anyhow, untill it gets firgured out I'm grounded. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

srbell

And now it's gone! What the heck is going on? All sticks now show center. The flight mode jumps a bit from gps to failsafe, but it's better. Still probably not a good idea to fly.

robvree

And now it's gone! What the heck is going on? All sticks now show center. The flight mode jumps a bit from gps to failsafe, but it's better. Still probably not a good idea to fly.

All the controls will jump all over the place when you first go into calibration mode. Then once you move all the sticks around they should stop jumping around.

srbell

All the controls will jump all over the place when you first go into calibration mode. Then once you move all the sticks around they should stop jumping around.

Wish I knew how to stop the flight mode from jumping around. Givens its performance with return home, failsafe is not place I want to visit too soon lol.

srbell

Fired it up again and back to all controls going crazy, roll, pitch, throttle, yaw, gimbal and flight modes. Same RX-ERR. Of course it's not an RX error as the receiver operates servos fine on the three available servor ports on the RX and the sbus signal is fine (testing with a sbus decoder hooked up to the same servos). Seriously considering tossing this controller and putting in my purple APM 2.0 board, at least there's a reset button. BTW, callibration didn't fix anything but it was worth a try.

robvree

Have you tried re-binding your radio to the rx? Or do you know anyone in the area with the same radio that you try swapping rx and tx separately to rule those out?

Tahoe Ed

Same RX-ERR. Of course it's not an RX error as the receiver operates servos fine on the three available servor ports on the RX and the sbus signal is fine (testing with a sbus decoder hooked up to the same servos).

Let me get this straight. You are trying to operate a WKM with a three channel Rx? How do you do that? It requires a minimum of 5 channels the last time I checked. I know that you are using SBus but does that multiply you channels?

srbell

Have you tried re-binding your radio to the rx? Or do you know anyone in the area with the same radio that you try swapping rx and tx separately to rule those out?

Already did that. But given I've tested the sbus and servo ports from the RX, the problem can't be the radio. Kind of assumed that right away though. The only channel that doesn't go through my WooKong controller is my Gent LED to trigger my camera via an sbus decoder. It's the only channel not going crazy. The other thing I tested was programming two of the other ports for roll and pitch on the gimbal (as the decoder has three channels). That way I can monitor these channels hooks up direct to the RX and then through the WooKong. All the time doing this the assistant software is showing the channel positions all over and RX ERR. So direct, the camera gimbal operates perfectly ( of course no stabilization) and going through the WooKong it goes crazy....I'm going crazy! BTW, I really appreciate all the imput from everyone. I'm sure with some help it'll get sorted.

srbell

Let me get this straight. You are trying to operate a WKM with a three channel Rx? How do you do that? It requires a minimum of 5 channels the last time I checked. I know that you are using SBus but does that multiply you channels?

There's three physical channel ports and one sbus port. Unfortunately those three have to be channel 1, 2 and 3, too bad because if you could assign them I wouldn't need to buy a decoder to trigger the camera lol! The sbus takes up to 14 channels to the WooKong controller in the case of a MZ14 through a single cable. Now the WK doesn't take advantage of all those, only what it needs.

ddmt

3ch sbus rx, I'm assuming you're using R6203SB or similar right? I'm currently using R6208SB on 2 WKM hexas, everything inclucing failsave works on both hexa.

srbell

3ch sbus rx, I'm assuming you're using R6203SB or similar right? I'm currently using R6208SB on 2 WKM hexas, everything inclucing failsave works on both hexa.
We're using the same RX. Everything was working great until a few days ago, now it's a mess lol!