kloners TBS Discovery

kloner

Aerial DP
the on screen display in CORE monitors voltage, has a built in timer and has an rssi input. The rssi output comes from the rc receivers like frsky, all the uhf stuff, etc. it has an optional current sensor that would show mah used and amperage. it can be enabled by soldering over two pads on core or remove the solder and it's off. then you'd run something like ezosd or eagle tree, both have tracking as an option. From what i've seen, the core osd is kinda obtrusive in it's a black box with white text, not the clean white text with a dark outline like the others mentioned.

For a quad, i'm still at the point i need to be told where home is, but with rth in your quad, i'd just go with what the core has as for a timer and mah and that's good enough till you get something with rssi. spektrum rx's are digital output, and only spektrum telemetry works with. futaba has rssi but your pulling it off one legg of like an atmel chip. theres threads over at rc groups showing how to pull rssi off anything that has it. kinda nice to know your radios not gonna work or is holding strong while flying.

ezosd, eagle tree with gps show distance your from yourself, an arrow which ways home, a altimiter to show how high and a speedometer to show how fast.
mines like this
pause at the end and check it out, only thing different from flying is theres an arrow over the esc temp that shows wheres home. Dragonlabs has some neater looking huds to choose through, ezosd seems to be the norm most people use

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Kloner you are the FPV guru. After seeing your ground station, I was tempted to organize an intervention :). I enjoy reading all your "fpv" post. You have me pretty fired up to build a dedicated fpv rig. Only thing kind of holding me back is the fact that I can hardly see outside without polarized sunglasses. You have any recommendations there? Currently I use an Haier monitor on my AP ship but honestly, I cant see it unless I take my glasses off and to do that I need to be in shade. works for quickly glancing to frame a shot. Cant imagine flying that way though.

Build looks awesome, look forward to your reviews of the ship.

I made a shroud / hood for my Haier out of coroplast, tape, and velcro. Lightweight and works well in bright sun.

View attachment 4975

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 424

azure

For a quad, i'm still at the point i need to be told where home is, but with rth in your quad, i'd just go with what the core has as for a timer and mah and that's good enough till you get something with rssi. spektrum rx's are digital output, and only spektrum telemetry works with. futaba has rssi but your pulling it off one legg of like an atmel chip. theres threads over at rc groups showing how to pull rssi off anything that has it. kinda nice to know your radios not gonna work or is holding strong while flying.

ezosd, eagle tree with gps show distance your from yourself, an arrow which ways home, a altimiter to show how high and a speedometer to show how fast.

Is that the Eagle Tree OSD? I like that it has lat / lon in the event of a crash, where the EZOSD does not. I kind of like the way the Range Video HUD looks as well, but don't know much about it. All of them seem really complicated to set up, no? I've not made the leap to LRS UHF, and am wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth considering interference issues with 1.3 vTX (though LPFiltering is working great with the GPS) and the added complexity. If I can get a reliable 1/2 mile with my Spektrum rx/tx close to the ground, that's fine for me currently. I just wish there was some kind of RSSI with the Spektrum 2.4 DSMX that warned me of an impending lock out.

You mention that

kloner

Aerial DP
when my tracker is following the craft, it has a display that shows the last known gps coordinates as well. if the camera comes off or the batteries die, you still have the numbers

if you use eagle tree without gps, it has a spektrum digital wire that shows something similar, but it shows loss of data packets, counts get higher as it's leaving ya. but then no arrow. i found it pretty easy to setup. yes mine is eagle tree osd pro. it's in the zeph and my heavier fpv quad.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/Manuals/spektrum.pdf

azure

when my tracker is following the craft, it has a display that shows the last known gps coordinates as well. if the camera comes off or the batteries die, you still have the numbers

if you use eagle tree without gps, it has a spektrum digital wire that shows something similar, but it shows loss of data packets, counts get higher as it's leaving ya. but then no arrow. i found it pretty easy to setup. yes mine is eagle tree osd pro. it's in the zeph and my heavier fpv quad.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/Manuals/spektrum.pdf

Thanks... At a glance it says that they are working at a fix that will enable GPS while using Spektrum digital. If that happens, it could be just the ticket. Still looks complex, but will dig further based on your experience.

kloner

Aerial DP
looks like this in use, watch how the altitude bounces around, that's a gps alimiter, later i added the barometer and it got alot better

it's the only one i've had. This discovery build is just using the core OSD

Tahoe Ed

I took the plunge for the TBS top/bottom plates and Core with 69 Camera combo. I am going to use my 5.8gHz Immersion 600mw vTx and my Eagle Tree OSD Pro with GPS and eLogger. I will have a little more space to mount stuff with this frame. I really like the DJI arms. I threw a prop yesterday on my F550 and only broke one arm. All the Graupners were ok.

kloner

Aerial DP
unless your a kick butt solderer, have them solder in the core for ya. Think he gets $10, well worth it. The pins he sent me were short so you had to hover the pins between em. it had me to my knees. he's addressing it in later batches so you'd probably at least get the right length pins

Tahoe Ed

I built an MK and an Arducopter with IMU/OilPan. I have a good soldering station to work with and a lot of tips. I haven't had anything that I could not solder yet. But there is always a first time. The order is already gone but since the Core won't be available for a week or two I guess I could add it. Thanks for the heads up. I am getting ready to replace the red ESC connector on my S800. I will do a little practicing there.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I took the plunge for the TBS top/bottom plates and Core with 69 Camera combo. I am going to use my 5.8gHz Immersion 600mw vTx and my Eagle Tree OSD Pro with GPS and eLogger. I will have a little more space to mount stuff with this frame. I really like the DJI arms. I threw a prop yesterday on my F550 and only broke one arm. All the Graupners were ok.

I ordered the same pieces, TBS is waiting on delivery of the new batch of cores before it will ship. I've already received some of the other goodies that will be going into this build, EZUHF and RMRC 1.3 gHZ video system with Bluebeam antennas. I was very surprised at how much bigger the 1.3 Bluebeams are compared to a set of 5.8! I think for the initial test flights I'll just use the whip antennas that came with the video system.

While I'm waiting for the TBS stuff I'm going to setup the UHF and 1.3 gear and see if I can shoehorn it onto the stock F450 for some basic testing, probably won't be able to use the Naza GPS with the 800mw vTX that close but that's Ok for now, won't be flying beyond LOS for the first few flights until I know everything works right.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
I still haven't got the 800mw tx to play nice with my dragonlink, haven't even tried the ezuhf, hopefully it's an easier sale. the 2.4 immersion would be the ticket for discovery on uhf......... antennas are half way in size between 1.3 and 5.8 and would penetrate as well as what i saw ezuhf handling. it's real sensitive to elevation as you get out.

You guys are gonna dig the core. Sure cleans that thing up, like having a heart in your chest vs an artificial heart with bec's and crap hanging from wires, etc. If you didn't already, that shield is killer and helps cut down the noise from the switching regs alot

Tahoe Ed

I sent an email to Trappy to try and include the soldering of the core to the bottom plate. I figured that for $9 or $10 it is a deal and something less that I have to do when it arrives.

kloner

Aerial DP
it was tough,,,,,,, you'll just have to solder the 12v or 5v pads and leave off or turn on the osd.......

Can't stop messing with mine. esc's will come in this week then i just gotta decide on what cam i want. might try these security2000 brand cams, gonna look more into it. Then it's maiden time

kloner

Aerial DP
Just about got her done. still needs esc's and a camera. Went with the securitycamera2000 pixim 690, like the tbs69. dji esc's will be here tomorrow, i'll test fly it then.

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

this thing is noticeably lighter than mine in hand, by alot. Think a friend wants it, might sell it and do it again

azure

Kloner, looks really sweet. Nice, clean job. Looking forward to seeing some vids.

Appears that you've got a NAZA tucked in there. Are you going to add GPS?

kloner

Aerial DP
Probably, wanna see how that pans out with others first. I've been having a heck of a time finding a sweet spot for the ET sat ant. thing gives me a fit every trip, tracker stops following on my other rig. dunno if it's the solar flares or my setup. seems like everytime before i go the news shows the sun exploding. i'll see from 8 - 12 sats lock up and it'll vary during a flight. Weird,,,,,, not sure if it's the uhf, the video, what..... Shooting for simplicity and a killer signal on both systems so can get this thing down low out far

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner, you have become "THE" FPV guy. Sorry if it was answered already but if the 2 antennas on the UHF are your vtx, then what is the other clover leaf for? Just wondered if you somehow are boosting your rx reception. I dont know much about this other than I tend to sell my FPV gear quicker than I can use it. I would love to have a huge open area like you got over there. Looking good though!

kloner

Aerial DP
The 2 antennas on the uhf are the rc control. Being sanders style, they like to be straight up and down. Got one for medium forward flight standing straight up and another on 45 degrees for full forward flight. You see the rssi bounce when it switches antennas as i lean it forward.

The cloverleaf is the vtx, it's picked up on the ground with the crosshair on tracking, for this model, i'll just aim the antenna off the direction of flight and she'll get a couple thousand feet off to the sides, few miles out front with no tracking, no waiting or loosing sat signal

This craps horribly addicting. like rc alone isn't bad enough

kloner

Aerial DP
this part runs off the ppm on the trainer port like a flight sim, etc, transmits that signal on the 70cm ham band, 433mhz. miles of range

i.php

014%20%28769x1024%29_595.jpg