kloners TBS Discovery

kloner

Aerial DP
I'll start out saying Trappy has been nothing but straight forward and always there when ya got a question on this ting. Great guys, TBS rocks!

I ordered up a Discovery frame with CORE. if your gonna build this thing, you want the core. It is like having a body without a heart not having it. You can probably hotwire the box it goes in to make electricity flow through the pcb everywhere, but talk about the schizzle. They even have a tin available to solder over it as a shield. Once the core is in, all the little solder pads power up with whatever voltages you asked for to be fed. i'm going to use the OSD as well. My plans will be for a light weight long range rocketship. Going with the next size motors down than i'm currently flying, 2810 1000kv. they bolt up all four bolts, weigh 22 grams less a piece, that's darn near a 1/4 pound less in motor weight and they still do 250 watts. i'm not expecting much more efficiency, just the abbility to carry something like zII with either 6000 mah 4s or 8800 mah of 3s. Since she's so pretty i decided to do a complete new build with all new parts. New DJI esc's, new arms (all black) got a fresh new bolt kit (bought a whole new f450 frame and extra set of arms) new naza, new motors & a new set of 10" graupners. Lining this thing up with what i've been flying is alot different. mines alot longer, this ones more wide, think the center is still square like a f450, just the front arms are twisted back more than mine is. The integrated pbc and all the refinement make this a no brainer buy. Simply amazing. The only thing i want and am gonna have to wait for is the fpv camera. i want to step away from the live feed bit and give myself a real camera to view through. Think i'm doing the tbs69

She aint gonna make this trip, but everything is here or in route so should be on the next vids. Pics to follow

kloner

Aerial DP
i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

hjls3

Kloner you are the FPV guru. After seeing your ground station, I was tempted to organize an intervention :). I enjoy reading all your "fpv" post. You have me pretty fired up to build a dedicated fpv rig. Only thing kind of holding me back is the fact that I can hardly see outside without polarized sunglasses. You have any recommendations there? Currently I use an Haier monitor on my AP ship but honestly, I cant see it unless I take my glasses off and to do that I need to be in shade. works for quickly glancing to frame a shot. Cant imagine flying that way though.

Build looks awesome, look forward to your reviews of the ship.

Tahoe Ed

Really nice Kloner. I tried to go onto the TBS website and got a white screen on the Discovery pages. Must be very popular and crashed the server. I will try again later. Keep us informed of your progress.

kloner

Aerial DP
i fell for this hook line and sinker.

i too wear polarized glasses, now i'm using Bolle, have a boat and run around on that river.......... had no problems with the monitor i'm on, see everything perfect with em on. never tried the fat sharks through the glasses, but i bet you would have decent luck that route for the fact no sun hits your eyes. when you peel em off though, look out. like walking out of a matinee at the theater.

When Trappy was talking about this thing and about opening up pre-orders, was second to buy it. knew he was way in over his head just from the cool factor alone, Anybody can afford this thing. That's weird, the only page is that one that's down. Something broke, i posted it to him

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Kloner you are the FPV guru. After seeing your ground station, I was tempted to organize an intervention :). I enjoy reading all your "fpv" post. You have me pretty fired up to build a dedicated fpv rig. Only thing kind of holding me back is the fact that I can hardly see outside without polarized sunglasses. You have any recommendations there? Currently I use an Haier monitor on my AP ship but honestly, I cant see it unless I take my glasses off and to do that I need to be in shade. works for quickly glancing to frame a shot. Cant imagine flying that way though.

Build looks awesome, look forward to your reviews of the ship.

get yourself a boonie hat, similar to this

http://www.armynavyshop.com/military-boonie-camo-hats.html

order it about 1/2" larger than your head so you can pull it down low to shade your goggles. i wear Myvu goggles and this hat blocks everything and eliminates glare. yes, i look very stupid standing in the street with this and my radio hanging from my neck and my goggles on but it works really well, plus it's cheap.

good luck with it.

kloner

Aerial DP
i.php

"THE" 1080p jello free mat

i.php

595x446x019,P20,P281024x768,P29_595.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ipyWeJcZl0.jpg

i.php

vTx just plugs in. i'm a freak for a dab of glue on anything that can come out, by the time it flies, everything that doesn't get hot will have hot glue, if it does i use goop.

i.php

i.php

cam connection and the vtx up top

i.php

Wrapped the vu with aluminum tape and re shrunk wrapped it, just looking to shield it more. Goop drying

Waiting on motors, esc and fpv cam..............

hjls3

Kloner - Straight Naza no GPS? I would think the RTH would be good FPV function. Does the GPS mess with the range of the elec? Again awesome - cant wait to see it fly. Thanks too for the goggle info. I had not thought about the fact that they block the sun, DUH ! Doing some research today trying to figure out the best FPV route to take.

BART besides blocking the sun, those hats are just cool. I try not to fly around people, but every now and then, someone will appear out of nowhere and start talking. Maybe wearing a set up similar to yours would encourage them to leave me alone :)

kloner

Aerial DP
would be nice to have, but this build in particular i'm trying to build as light as possible to carry more batteries. this is gonna be my mountain surfer along with my zII. Hopefully someday soon this one will get the Open Pilot board, probably revo cause it has all you mention plus. This frame has all kinds of holes to mount all kinds of boards to it. I want to get the dji gps for my other quad like this one. Shes a big heavy gal, little more crap and weight wouldn't hurt my feelings. That one i'm gonna keep for flying over the water

Kloner,
Awesome pics!
I too have ordered the TBS Discovery and the Core. Just waiting for it to show up on my doorstep so I can do better AV/FPV flying without the prop getting in the way. I'm using a RePlay XD 1080 which, being a longer form factor helps to get it out in front of the props a bit more.

What battery are you using for long-range with the F450? I have a 4S-2600 LiPo and was thinking aboutgoing up to a ~5000+ but wondered about the weight vs fight time difference. I'm also very interested in the results of the motor swap that you're planning and the impact to flight time.

For FPV, I have the Immersion RC Bluebeam Whip Set, RMRC-700XV (NTSC) camera, Vx is the immersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz (with EZOSD) transmitting to FatShark Dominators -- I'm waiting for the Discoery to arrive so I can have a bigger platform to mount all of the bits. I'm a little concerned that I won't get the flight time for the range.

Tahoe Ed

I am ready to spend about $600 on their products but can't on their website. Very frustrating. Glad that others can get their stuff.

hjls3

I am ready to spend about $600 on their products but can't on their website. Very frustrating. Glad that others can get their stuff.

im chuckling - only because i have been doing the same thing all day :). Kloners looks so nice though I am going todo my best and be patient.

kloner

Aerial DP
I've been running the same thing i'm building has been getting about 5 minutes per 1000mah but i gotta pay attention to mileage meter (watts drawn) to do it. i can cruise 300 watts or 700 watts all in how far i push the nose down in atti. I've been carrying 1 of the 3000 and one of the 1800 and going 16-17 minutes regularly. i'm hoping discovery without all the eagle tree crap, 88 grams less in motors, that she'll carry 2 of the 3000mah 4s or 2 of the 4400mah 3s packs and still perform like she has.

002%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

003%20%281024x670%29_595.jpg

004b%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

i have one 5000 mah 4s pack, it'd barely fit in between the frames, rubs on the uhf pinouts pretty hard. i'd say a 4s 4000 mah or a pair of 3000 like i'm gonna try are just right if you got motors with a combined watt rating over 800

Tahoe Ed and hjls3,
I agree, I have found their website seems to be a bit daunting to get around in. I'll add the three links that might prove useful....

The Discovery. You can choose options at the bottom of the page.
a. http://team-blacksheep.com/products/product:98

Look to the right side of the page for "New Products"
b. http://www.team-blacksheep.com/

FPV Kits and set can be found here:
c. http://team-blacksheep.com/shop/category:10

Hope this helps.
Dale.

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

Thanks Dale. Thanks to you too Kloner. Well I think thanks to you Kloner - I am about to drop some funds on an FPV quad setup :). Kloner I hope you dont mind but I might be needing some advice in the very near future. First question - I do own a Hero 2. Use it to record vid on Zeph, Zeph just flies LOS no FPV stuff on it. Still fun though. Anyways - I was thinking I would just buy this starter package from ready made - comes with camera. THinking that becasue I would like to use my heavy 4s 6000 mah batteries I might save some weight and not go with the GoPro.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=781

Am I going to be happy or would you suggest another route? SHould I piece together some FPV stuff and use Hero 2? For what its worth too - I happen to have 5 550 motors, Naza and lots of 4s 6000mah batteries. Hoping I can find a combination of these things that will work. THis will be my first quad, I have only flown hexa's so I am not sure about weight of that battery and 4 motors 4s vs 3s etc. But again - hoping I can make it work. Happen to live on piece of property that is great for flying. Would not need huge range but flight times would be important to me. THanks for any help you can give. I might start a new thread -

kloner

Aerial DP
that's a great package. so the only thing you'd do to add a gopro to live feed through is a cable.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=290
the only thing i can't say loud enough is how poor the 5.8 does with obstructions. if you plan flying low and have much for trees or hills, look at 1.3

the 550 motors are exactly the same as 450 motors that come on them. if you find those big packs don't fly good enough, look at upgrading to 28mm motors. It's basically the same as your hex, just 2 less so weight adds up a little faster. The discovery out of the box makes your rig lighter just missing feet of wire and it's a nice thin frame so doesn't weigh a whole lot.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_44&products_id=911

piecing something togethers a piece of cake with a guy like me around

you can also plug in a set of fatsharks to that rx so you wouldn't need the built in rx or get the 5.8 tx and goggles with rx and use 1.3 to the craft, 5.8 from GS to your goggles instead of a cable. The cable usually has less latency and a better picture.

hjls3

1.3 it is then. Thanks - I am going to try and piece something together. Before I pull the trigger I am going to run it by you :)

kloner

Aerial DP
this is like what you can do with 1.3,,,,,,,, 5.8 would fade at the entrance, courtesy of enthlapy. followed his build thread over on open pilot...... good stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Oh, man. Sweet build, Kloner! I've been following Juz's blog on OP, but now you really got me thinking....

It's not that clear from the TBS site, but is there some kind of RSSI sensor built into the CORE? And if so, what OSD is it compatible with? The whole OSD thing is daunting to me, but seems extremely useful as I get out further and further.

azure

1.3 it is then. Thanks - I am going to try and piece something together. Before I pull the trigger I am going to run it by you :)

+1 on Kloner's advice. 1.3 makes a big difference over using 5.8 for the kind of flying we do with quads - which seems more down-low and dirty than the long range, fixed-wing guys. I've added a CP helical, using it in conjunction with the CP omni, which is making my link even more solid:

http://www.circular-wireless.com/en/products-page/helical-modo-axial/heliaxial12/

Kloner is right about the motors too. You can try the stock DJI's since you have them, but I think you'll find that they're underpowered for all the weight you're talking about carrying.