Gunters new octocopter build

Borneoben

Looking good Gunther

The assembly after designing is always the fun part!
Until you find that problem you didnt see before that is!

Im not sure if you have said before but what are the specs of your motors?

Do you know what the all up weight will be including the camera mount and camera of your choice?

What is the camera you will be using by the way?

Many thanks

Ben

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Im not sure if you have said before but what are the specs of your motors?

Do you know what the all up weight will be including the camera mount and camera of your choice?

What is the camera you will be using by the way?

Many thanks

Ben

Ben, motors are cheap 880kv Arducopter motors. I will upgrade sometime, but I didn't want to spend a fortune at the moment. I'm not sure of the exact weight yet, I'll weigh it when it's all together. Airframe alone is around 1kg though, or so the computer says! Camera will probably be an NEX5 or similar...

Looking good.. where did you get the rubber dampers from?

Dave

http://www.bpfittings.co.uk/pc/Twin-Male-Anti-Vibration-Mounts-c10815.htm

They are pretty cheap, I think £1.50 ish, so worth getting a few spare!

Gunter.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4

Attachments

• IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 419

Gunter

Draganflyer X4

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 486
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 455
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 476
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 389
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 389

Orracle

I'm liking the South African support right there! ;)

The hexa is looking very awesome! Could I ask what thickness sheet and alloy you used?

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I'm liking the South African support right there! ;)

The hexa is looking very awesome! Could I ask what thickness sheet and alloy you used?

Thanks Orracle! I'm from Hillcrest, near Durbs, hence the SA support!

The aluminium is all 2mm except for the bottom round plate which is 3mm. It all seems sturdy enough, the final test is when it flies!

Gunter.

Orracle

Haha that's cool! I work for a laser cutting company just down the hill from Hillcrest in Westmead :p I just laser cut a small quad copter frame for myself, posted pics in the Newbie intro forum.

Hopefully I get into AP and can take some pics of your old area, I reckon valley of a thousand hills would be pretty awesome to fly in :)

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Haha that's cool! I work for a laser cutting company just down the hill from Hillcrest in Westmead :p I just laser cut a small quad copter frame for myself, posted pics in the Newbie intro forum.

Hopefully I get into AP and can take some pics of your old area, I reckon valley of a thousand hills would be pretty awesome to fly in :)

I used to work at Smiths Manufacturing on the other side of Pinetown, not sure if you have heard of them?

Valley of a thousand hills would be superb to take pics of, there is also the Kloof gorge, a few places in Hillcrest as well. There is a big community with a castle, lakes and a gold course, that would also be a good one for pics.

I'm hopefully going to be out there this time next year, I will bring the heli along and do loads of video. Plans are to stay at Midmar for a while, then South Coast and Hillcrest...might be a good opportunity for a SA meet!!

Orracle

Ye I know of Smiths Manufacturing, we laser cut alot of brackets for them :)

An SA meet in a year! I better start flying and start up a mrc community quick then! :p

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Quick update: Just waiting for a few more ali parts before I can send the whole lot for powder coating. I mocked up the center plates and booms, which all fit nicely. Boom clamps should be here next week, so then everything will be ready for final assembly! All up weight is just over 2kg.

View attachment 1165

I modelled a bracket for the GPS and LED. They both need a special place to go, otherwise they will look a bit left out!

View attachment 1167 View attachment 1166

Hopefully everything will be done and together for the meet at the end of the month...fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 426
  • GPS1.jpg
    GPS1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 343
  • GPS2.jpg
    GPS2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 344

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Ye I know of Smiths Manufacturing, we laser cut alot of brackets for them :)

An SA meet in a year! I better start flying and start up a mrc community quick then! :p

Haha, yes, get the banana boys together with their quads!

I just have to figure out a way to transport this thing now...it certainly won't fit in the baggage hold like it is now!

Orracle

Haha, yes, get the banana boys together with their quads!

I just have to figure out a way to transport this thing now...it certainly won't fit in the baggage hold like it is now!

Haha, I would be very nervous trusting the baggage handlers with such an expensive bit of kit.

Regarding the powder coating, I also gotta ask the same question as Borneoben, why not anodizing? It adds no weight as opposed to powder coating which can add 10g/m^2, according to google :p

Borneoben

I was concerned not so much for the weight but tightening screw heads against the relatively thick coating could make it crack and lift off?

with anodizing you wouldnt have that???

We used to powder coat the chassis of kit cars and if the coating was too thick it would alwasy lift around sharp edges and when you drilled through it and when you tightened a bolt against it. even with washers etc.

Ben