Gunters new octocopter build

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
gunter, any chance you could have a few extra led mounts made - i noticed the one you had for the wkm led at dz2 meet and thought it was a neat/elegant solution. if it could be bolted to the flamewheel (or other frames) i'd be in the market for one.

I do have a spare one, I'll dig it out tonight for you. It will only work with the same boom clamps, on a 19mm boom though.

Gunther cant you reduce the actual WKM components plate even more. The only component that actually needs real stability is the IMU hard mounted to the frame to get the best feedback. The MC PMU etc. need a minimal surface to be attached.
You once asked me about the landing gear of the CS8 / CS6. Actually you already have the boom clamps that would make it possible to construct a similar landing gear/three legs, probably lighter approach. This also goes hand in hand with the thought of mouting the lipos over the center plate with the standoffs. What the box with the green edges ?

Boris

Thanks Boris. I have thought about the landing gear, the only reason I have left it was because of the camera mount underneath...I expect I could change that.

The box in the front is a new video transmitter.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
David, led mount is in the post!

I picked up the new parts today. I hate the guy who does my laser cutting, I offered him money but he refused :)

A quick dry assembly before I deburr and send off for powder coating.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324071795.805924.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324071795.805924.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 530
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324071821.928264.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324071821.928264.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 520
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324071839.822923.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324071839.822923.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 577

Orracle

David, led mount is in the post!

I picked up the new parts today. I hate the guy who does my laser cutting, I offered him money but he refused :)

A quick dry assembly before I deburr and send off for powder coating.

Regards,

Gunter.

Sounds like the guy who cuts and drills my aluminum arms for me, he hasn't invoiced me once!

I also just laser cut a new design before shutting down for the holidays so I have something to build in my free time :) Are you deburring the Ali yourself with a file and sand paper or finishing it with a tumbler or vibratory finisher?

Cheers
Dan

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Sounds like the guy who cuts and drills my aluminum arms for me, he hasn't invoiced me once!

I also just laser cut a new design before shutting down for the holidays so I have something to build in my free time :) Are you deburring the Ali yourself with a file and sand paper or finishing it with a tumbler or vibratory finisher?

Cheers
Dan

Dan, I'm deburring with a deburring tool and needle files in the smaller spaces...it must have taken me 2 or 3 hours in all!

BoBoFlight

Diameter of Center Plate

Hi Gunter -- Thank you for your post. I am in the beginning stages of my own design for an octocopter.

I am trying to determine my centerplate diameter due to the electronics that need to go on it.

I know that I can have multiple levels ... so that is a consideration.

I know that many controller boards are about 6CM square ... the power distribution board about 6-8CM round ... the ESC (I am not against having them on the booms unlike many) ... the batteries ... camera mount ... rx/tx ... and wires going everywhere :)

What is your diameter? What do you think an absolute minimum would be to fit things on? Maximum where there is 0 sense to go over?

Thank you!

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Bobo, my center plates are about 180mm diameter. That is a good size to house the esc's and also looks in proportion to the rest of the heli. Any smaller and I think it will look a bit funny! Bear in mind my M2M distance is 830mm.

The Afropower board is 70mm diameter. The board that my FC sits on is 130mm diameter.

I am very happy with those sizes now. I have changed them from my original design, have a look at my new build here, where I have slimmed everything down to save weight. It all looks in proportion and houses everything perfectly.

Gunter.

BoBoFlight

Thank you for the dimensions!

Thank you Gunter. Those dimensions help me a lot. Like you said, I need to keep your M2M into account. I think that I am going for more of a compact and lighter octocopter. For this reason, I am going to try a 120mm multi-level centerplate design. I will have the ESCs outside so that should free some room. A 130mm FC? That is pretty huge for a FC isn't it?

I looked at your new build too. Great job. That is a beast! I saw a comment on your desire to go more agile in the other post, but I guess I will respond to that there.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
What I meant with 130mm is that the flight controller sits on a 130mm diameter plate. There are lots of other bits that need to go on there as well.

Thanks for the positive comments!

Gunter.

Regards,

Gunter.

hacksaw44

Gunter, earlier in the post you said you got the boom clamps from the US. Can you tell me where and maybe a link ? Planing on a build soon. The revised version of yours looks awesome.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Ha! Funny you should say that but yes!

I grew up in that area all around Stroud but never in Stroud itself. My Dad still lives in a village outside Stonehouse Called Leonard Stanley.
I used o live in Painswick and Oakridge Lynch right in top of the Stroud Valleys.
Beautiful part of the UK, During our two week summer anyway!

So are you from around there?

Cheers
Ben

So strange reading all these village names again, Painswick, Leonard Stanley, Nailsworth etc ... I went to Wycliffe College in Stonehouse in the late 60's. Still receive their newsletter every couple of months.