GoPro 3 Videos

nicwilke

I'm thinking this is terrific. I'll find the perfect setting. I think ill render all footage as whole clips corrected and then edit. Perhaps not the best example to use, especially since my back fence is not perfectly straight. :D

meme

Really nice Nic!
Need something for Premiere, have to check if AE has such a function.
I use 1080 medium because i hove mostly wind wich causes big wobbels when stabilizing the footage, would love to fly wide and them converting with such a tool.

That test is pretty impressive. Doesn't degrade very much. Haven't needed to use that correction but soon will maybe. Just waiting for GP3 Black to arrive. Been on order now 5 weeks. Hopefully get one that doesn't have all the problems people have been experiencing!! maybe that's the delay.

The Red Giant software is pretty good. Suppose like most things you get what you pay for!!

kloner

Aerial DP
is the gopro app suppose to work on an iphone and a black? i see it in the wifi networks, choose it, got the phone blinking blue like wifi is on, but the app says no phone detected. Tried 20-30 times.....

Tahoe Ed

Go into the set up menu under wifi and select the app as the controller. I think it defaults to the key fob.

Chadfish

This is shot on a Hero 3, 1080p60, Medium setting. In Magic Bullet Looks I set the fisheye tool to -20 to counter the lens distortion for the GoPro "medium" setting. When in "wide" mode I use a setting of -30. This was the first real test of the wide mode, though my camera mount was loose I found later, which caused some jello in the footage.

Last edited by a moderator:

meme

This is shot on a Hero 3, 1080p60, Medium setting. In Magic Bullet Looks I set the fisheye tool to -20 to counter the lens distortion for the GoPro "medium" setting. When in "wide" mode I use a setting of -30. This was the first real test of the wide mode, though my camera mount was loose I found later, which caused some jello in the footage.

really nice footage chad!

Chadfish

Thanks Meme! I went through enough to get it. Read the video description for the story. Basically a battery failed 9 minutes too soon and I went into that river I keep crossing. It took 2 hours to find the thing. Gopro survived even though it had no protective case. I only needed to replace the ESCs. Lucky (I guess) for my birthday. I had a lot of jello shots that I had to sift through to get down to this. I also lost a bolt in my camera mount and had wired/taped it into place on the beach, which allowed for more vibration to get to the camera. Anyway, I should be flying again by Monday after my parts get in.

nicwilke

is the gopro app suppose to work on an iphone and a black? i see it in the wifi networks, choose it, got the phone blinking blue like wifi is on, but the app says no phone detected. Tried 20-30 times.....

I had that issue and updated the latest firmware and upgraded my app. I'm on Android, so may be an issue with iOS

Dale UK

Wow .... I'm learning things I didn't know here Chadfish - research needed obviously - can you point me anywhere that I might learn about any PC equivalent of Apple Motion 4? or should I just Google it and learn?

Thanks, D

Tahoe Ed

Here is a short test video that I did today. It was shot from a DJI Phantom. The GP3 was hard mounted to the frame with a GP "Frame" mount. It was a little breezy above the tree line so there are a lot of jitters. I had a difficult time getting her down safely. This is a direct upload from the camera to Vimeo through QuickTime.

Chadfish

Dale, Adobe Premiere has a great stabilizer tool called "Warp Stabilizer", and Premiere is available for both Mac & PC, but is a serious video editing profram. May be more than you want to bite off. There are other stabilization apps out there, but I'm not too familiar with them, since I have a decent one in Motion 4. Some are great, some are crap. Basically they can zoom your image in a bit, then read the horizon to try to counter shaky moves. You lose a bit of video resolution, but it's not too bad. You want something with the most options to adjust. You can't fix everything though. In my experience if you are flying at a low level, and the screen is filled with ground or trees moving by quickly, it has nothing to grab onto and can freak out. But more most things like flying along with a nice horizon in the shot, it can do wonders. They don't fix jello though. In fact, because your video will be shaking less, you can actually see the jello more clearly if it's there. There's no post fix for jello. Search "Comparing video stabilization methods" or "best stabilization plug for aerial video" and see what comes up. There should be a thread about that, and it would give some names to google further. Watch as much video about any stabilization you are thinking of as possible so you see if the results will apply to you.

Here's a free one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0MBkJG6k0 (I can't vouch for the quality)

Chadfish

Ed you may want to research a way to decouple the camera from anything hard like the camera mount. People are using gel to separate cameras from the vibrations of the motors. On the XP2 quad I use they have this gel that goes between the main frame, and the landing gear/camera mount. The gel is superglued between them so no screws or zip ties are there to carry the vibration (jello) to the camera. Here's what they have, though I'm not sure where you could put it on the Phantom camera mount. http://xproheli.com/collections/parts/products/vibration-dampening-pads-special-rubber

Dale UK

Dale, Adobe Premiere has a great stabilizer tool called "Warp Stabilizer", and Premiere is available for both Mac & PC, but is a serious video editing profram. May be more than you want to bite off. There are other stabilization apps out there, but I'm not too familiar with them, since I have a decent one in Motion 4. Some are great, some are crap. Basically they can zoom your image in a bit, then read the horizon to try to counter shaky moves. You lose a bit of video resolution, but it's not too bad. You want something with the most options to adjust. You can't fix everything though. In my experience if you are flying at a low level, and the screen is filled with ground or trees moving by quickly, it has nothing to grab onto and can freak out. But more most things like flying along with a nice horizon in the shot, it can do wonders. They don't fix jello though. In fact, because your video will be shaking less, you can actually see the jello more clearly if it's there. There's no post fix for jello. Search "Comparing video stabilization methods" or "best stabilization plug for aerial video" and see what comes up. There should be a thread about that, and it would give some names to google further. Watch as much video about any stabilization you are thinking of as possible so you see if the results will apply to you.

Here's a free one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0MBkJG6k0 (I can't vouch for the quality)

Chadfish .... I'm stunned and amazed at the same time - really!

I use Movie Studio Platinum to edit my flying vids - but only in a basic way - I had no idea of the advanced vid software capabilities - I guess, why should I have? Primarily I'm a modeller with engineering skills to make the machine fly well - as I'm sure many others on MRF are too! (read on)

I'm looking at £2500 gimbals to steady my camera to 100% in raw video - and wondering why I've missed this 'possibly obvious?' (though not for me until now) alternative to such a large outlay, when maybe the equipment I already have is everything I need to produce similar quality vids I saw in your posts ??

I am sooo grateful and glad you responded - now I'm on a mission to learn ..... the youtube link you sent is inspirational and demonstrates just what you suggest - thanks also for that.

5***** feedback to you from a fellow MRF member - hope this post of yours helps lots of other members also :02.47-tranquillity:

Dale UK

Tahoe Ed

Ed you may want to research a way to decouple the camera from anything hard like the camera mount. People are using gel to separate cameras from the vibrations of the motors. On the XP2 quad I use they have this gel that goes between the main frame, and the landing gear/camera mount. The gel is superglued between them so no screws or zip ties are there to carry the vibration (jello) to the camera. Here's what they have, though I'm not sure where you could put it on the Phantom camera mount. http://xproheli.com/collections/parts/products/vibration-dampening-pads-special-rubber

Gary Goodrum was working on an isolation mount. The issue with the Phantom is the landing gear is not real high and there is only 1-2cm max between the bottom of the camera and the ground with the hard mount. Today was not the best flying conditions as well, tight spaces, power lines, wind and pine trees everywhere.

Chadfish

5***** feedback to you from a fellow MRF member - hope this post of yours helps lots of other members also :02.47-tranquillity:

Dale UK

Glad I could help Dale! That's why we're here, to both learn and help. Keep in mind that software stabilization isn't as good as video from a well gimballed camera, but I've had some great results. And gimballed footage becomes rock solid with a little added post stabilization. At the price you're quoting I bet you're looking at the Zenmuse. I've been drooling over that.