GoPro 3 Videos

parkyi

So excellent videos chaps, can't wait to get to grips with this flying business! (I'm very new to this) Have flown/crashed my homemade quad a few times, but slowly getting the hang of it. Just bought a DJI F450 kit with Naza controller. Looking forward to having a test flight on Friday.

I've bought the GoPro 3 Silver Edition, going to give this a test flight on the top of my ski helmet over xmas in Austria :) it's safer on there than on the copter at the moment!. As soon as I am confident at flying I'll be strapping it to the F450, really looking forward to it :)

I too noticed the 3.5 sec delay on my iPhone, great for setting up, but I'm guessing no good for FPV.

Parky

kloner

Aerial DP
the card you linked meme is the one gopro recomends for all protune in either cams. it's whats in my hero2 protune, works killer

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Parkyl
Looking forward to having a test flight on Friday.

Friday is not the best day for test flying.. Check out the solar activity before you launch especially if you are going to be relying on GPS

Dave

parkyi

Aye Up! Dave

Not sure I'm going to have time anyway, on the xmas card run tomoz before I go on hol.

Not got the GPS for the NAZA yet, but I'm thinking it will probably be my first purchase of 2013.

I agree! Lancashire is Great :nevreness:

ghaynes

Just got my Hero3 Black and it turns out that using it for FPV output isn't currently possible since they don't make a skeleton housing for the camera. You could cut out an opening for the HDMI plug from RCShutter but there isn't anything like the Hero2 skeleton housing currently available. Bummer

baker55

I picked up my gopro3 a few weeks ago. I have had to remove the battery several times because it seems to freeze up. With that I mean it will not turn on, and there is a small red light at the back of the camera that is on. Last night I plugged into the usb to charge, it was at about a 1/4 life so I charged for a few hours and the front red light that indicates it is not finished charging was still on. After I unplugged it the light remained on and the red light on the back was on too. Camera would not respond to any buttons. I removed the battery and everything was normal. Anyone else had this problem?

ghaynes

Baker

I had a series of issues with my GP3 Black. You didn't mention which model you have. One of the primary lockup issues has to do with the type of Micro SDHC card you use. I tried an off brand and continued to have lockups. Finally bought the recommended SanDisk Class 10 Micro SDHC card and things got a lot better. But not perfect.

After multiple calls with support they are replacing my GP3 Black. This is after replacing the firmware from scratch and everything else we could try. The issue was not consistent on when it would lock up. And as you mention only way out is to pull the battery.

All that being said their support has been great. Bit long on hold times but the folks I have talked with were knowledgable and willing to try anything to get it working. Just think that I had a lemon.

baker55

I have the gp3 black. scandisk 32gb ultra class 10 is what I use. So I should try reloading the firmware? will try that. It has always worked to remove battery but I have never had to do that with the other gp's! thanks

Aerovideo

Here's a couple from my GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition:

6 or so minutes you'll never get back :D

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Had a Black lockup on a commercial gig (Event Timelapse) similar to some of our HD2 lockups. Seems to be principally on 2sec timelapses. Used to love GoPro (and GP support) but the honeymoon is over for me with the ridiculously involved firmware update process, bizarre HD2 metering and lockup issues, wifi without Apps and the ever increasing number of emails required for an RMA. At this point we have over 10 of these little guys in commercial use from the Original to the Black so consistent outputs and a modicum of support is important to us. Still buying them though so until Contour kicks GPs A$$ we're a bit pot committed.

kloner

Aerial DP
gp2 with one button on seems to lockup pretty regularly. Sometimes when i get it on not using one button and hit the trigger, it'll get to that 2-3 second mark then the solid light like it's locking up then it'll burst, the clock rolls fast till it catches up to where it was at. This last firmware on gp2 started it all.

Ordered a hero3 yesterday,,,,

SMP

Have learned using Hero2 for FPV that there is a certain sequence required to avoid a lockup as well. 1. Make sure video cable is plugged in. 2. power on GP2 (super short press) without 1 touch enabled 3. Power up Bird. 4. Wiggle bird to make sure FPV is actually live 5. short shutter press to start recording (have re-enabled LED and Beeps) Watch the timer on screen advance, make a funny face, wave at the camera, fly.

Any other sequence results in locked cam and corrupted file (Red cross symbol = corrupted file not a sick gopro - thx gopro for NOT including that in the manual or Google) and yeah, Firmware updates seem to equal more and more lockups....

Hoping Black cables from RCShutter arrive shortly and can throw away the GP2 forever...

Chadfish

Aerovideo those are some nice videos! I really like the "Crash in the Park" one. So smooth. I could see a little apple flying when you hit the tree! Bummer to crash, but at least you got some nice footage.

Chadfish

Just got my Hero3 Black and it turns out that using it for FPV output isn't currently possible since they don't make a skeleton housing for the camera. You could cut out an opening for the HDMI plug from RCShutter but there isn't anything like the Hero2 skeleton housing currently available. Bummer

They have a non-protective case called "The Frame" with access to the USB. You can see it in this video I made about hacking your USB cable for FPV. I'm aware that there are ready-made cables out there now, but if you're in a hackin' mood and already have the Gopro cable, here's how to do it:
I'm going to cut into the sheath of the GoPro cable to make it aim back at 90º next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

My second GP3 Black. The first one had issues with focus. The second set up went well. Software upgraded, GP app for my iPhone worked well. Right now I am in Tahoe, temps about 24 degrees F. I set my Phantom with the GP attached outside for it to acclimatize. I took it down to a park next to my house and turned on the GP. Red light came on, wifi activated, everything looks ok. I go to connect my phone to the GP and no wifi. Looked down at the camera and no lights. Ok its cold and maybe the battery was not at full capacity. I fly 3 packs and come in. Put the GP on the computer with usb and nothing. No lights, nothing. I removed the battery and reinstalled it. Still nothing. Looks like no video this trip. Any ideas or suggestions??

ghaynes

Ed I had a whole slew of problems with my first one that I ordered just before Christmas. After working with them on the phone collective opinion was it was a faulty camera. Was told we could cross ship and the replacement would go out Monday 12/24 Fedex 1 day. Total BS. Got my replacement yesterday. Was told it would be checked and ready to go. Turned it on and no 4K. Did a reload of the firmware. Got 4K back. This morning started some testing using the app on both my iPhone an iPad. Failures to connect, no preview, wouldn't start, all inconsistently consistent. Took a look at the support site and the list of issues is pretty long. Example is the one on Preview doesn't start https://gopro.zendesk.com/entries/22121862-gopro-app-preview-never-starts Pretty lengthy list of reasons.

Called back in and was on hold for 79 minutes with tech support. Sending everything back. Just doesn't seem like all the bits and pieces/software are ready for prime time.

Images are outstanding but once I have it mounted I want to be able to start and stop recording without freezing, removing the battery, etc. None of those problems with the Hero2.

Will try again in 6 months.

PS If you do send it back insist on them issuing a Fedex label so that you don't pay for return shipping. Be insistent. They will tell you they can't do it, escalate to a manager and you should get a label.