F450 at 1900 grams, getting hot, should I swap motors?

F450

My F450 runs on a 4400mah 3S 45C lipo with 10" Graupners and the motors are getting hot. Should I get better motors? I have no clue what to get and how to install motors. I just have the stock motors right now.

kloner

Aerial DP
you are up there at or near "the line" If you wanted to stick with 3s and get double the watt rating, i'd go with this
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...ess-motor-peak-450-35-28-1000kv-suppo-2810-12

I fly em at 2200gram, 4s and 8" but there like dji motors where 3s and 10" are perfect as well. only slightly higher kv, it makes you manual mistick hover a little stronger than the 900, if you hover with 900 and it takes anyhting more than half stick, this motor will make the stick down a bit....... if your hovering now at 1/3 stick in manual, you need lower kv or smaller props to cure the problem. 8" seem to fly better in wind, more stable

dji motors have a built in prop adapter and un maintnanceable motors, there glued together. suppo have shafts, bearings, etc abailable. I'd highly recomend something like these though, the stock suppo adapters aren't much for multirotor use.

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products/Air-screw-coupling-.html

These things will fly a 2200 gram mr 55-60 mph. they won't stop the heat, there still warm when they land, but they are going to take it. Your moors now are 125-150 watt, that's a like a fuse,,, over that and pow......... these are 250 watt, nice and short so makes less vibes in the cam

F450

you are up there at or near "the line" If you wanted to stick with 3s and get double the watt rating, i'd go with this
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/brus...ess-motor-peak-450-35-28-1000kv-suppo-2810-12

I fly em at 2200gram, 4s and 8" but there like dji motors where 3s and 10" are perfect as well. only slightly higher kv, it makes you manual mistick hover a little stronger than the 900, if you hover with 900 and it takes anyhting more than half stick, this motor will make the stick down a bit....... if your hovering now at 1/3 stick in manual, you need lower kv or smaller props to cure the problem. 8" seem to fly better in wind, more stable

dji motors have a built in prop adapter and un maintnanceable motors, there glued together. suppo have shafts, bearings, etc abailable. I'd highly recomend something like these though, the stock suppo adapters aren't much for multirotor use.

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products/Air-screw-coupling-.html

These things will fly a 2200 gram mr 55-60 mph. they won't stop the heat, there still warm when they land, but they are going to take it. Your moors now are 125-150 watt, that's a like a fuse,,, over that and pow......... these are 250 watt, nice and short so makes less vibes in the cam

Wait a minute, your flying a F450 at 2200 grams with a 4S and 8" props!?! Are you using the stock motors? How much flight time do you average and what battery do you use? I'm mainly using mine for FPV, it has a gopro attached with a live video out signal.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's the weird part, depends what frame there on. with my custom frame project, i get 12-14 minutes on 3000mah packs,,,,,, but on my Discovery i get 5-6 minutes....... all the same kinda flying, full forward on the cyclic

this is the suppo 2814 on 4s with 9" props,,, the entire flight and it had some mah leftover aside from the leaving 20% behind, kloner frame
003 (1024x765)_795.jpg

this the 2810 on 4s, 8" prop, disco frame

020 (1024x713)_795.jpg

another popular motor for your application is rctimer.com 2216-900,,,, look em up

Last edited by a moderator:

F450

Man, those are awesome videos!!! The suppo's sound nice in the first video with the 9" props!!!

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm guessin all the assumptions arent true. nothing noisier on any of em, props are what you hear, different props make different noises

no, rctimer as in china...... of course them are nice but christ, for teh price of two i'm getting way more bang for the buck for all four with the graupner prop adapter

the main difference between the 2810 and 2814 suppos is 22 grams a piece. the 2810 is lighter, makes jello free alot easier to obtain. of course, the 2814 can also be used, just there weight to power difference almost makes it no different. I got am all, hahaha. At the end of the day it's 88 grams less = 3.1 oz, that's alot

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_search_list.dwt&gcat=40&gtype=
there at that place, but that site is so hard to navigate i don't know where they are.

Thanks, Those two video had the same exact camera so that's the deal. i like 8" cause when the wind picks up, the 9's bobble around alot more than the 8's but you gotta run 4s on 8's. These motors i mentioned all run 10's on 3s or 9's, but the 9 will be alittle less agressive

kloner

Aerial DP
This is a video of the 9" props on 2814 suppos with a gimble, comes in at 2400 grams flying, 2800 if i strap 8000 mah to it's back

This thing does 60mph in atti,,,,,,,,,

kloner

Aerial DP
those are 1534 kv,,,,,,, The guys from tbs are selling this motor set that they get from rctime,r but these are the 750kv, that's 4s on 10" props and suppose to be more efficient than how i do the 8 and 9" on 1000 kv...
http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:750kv_30aesc
i am pretty sure the same motor is available in 900 kv

there next offering is 2216-900kv rctiger motors, like you linked first but are like this
http://www.facebook.com/teamblacksheep
scroll about half way down, they changed em to 900 since the picture,,,,,, 9" gets the props out of view easier. 8" even better if your trying to film

I've only messed with suppo since playing with these things..... 5 multirotors, 4 fpv flavored, all the same motors, suppo

for my batteries i use turnigy and sky lipo 40c. i have some 30c but the voltage sag i see on the osd drives me nutts. the sky lipo have a really low internal resistance, about half that when there new than turnigy but they both work well

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4000-4s1p-40c-4444.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16183

F450

Here is a pic of my F450 with GoPro Hero2 attached. I used wood to extend the legs.

View attachment 6270

What do you think about Team Blacksheep's new motors coming out soon, they haven't priced them yet.

View attachment 6271

Attachments

• 7894480398_32782a2bf9_b.jpg
    7894480398_32782a2bf9_b.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 349
  • Team Blacksheep.jpg
    Team Blacksheep.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 291

kloner

Aerial DP
there gonna be $50-$60 a motor, or there abouts. He says pricing were gonna like, but the deals i've heard giving pro staff makes me think that direction. super nice

You could get better flight charecteristics for a thin cf leg,,, $20 for a set ot there about. mine looked like this at first, then with the long range receivers i had better luck with the longer frames with the receiver as far away from video as possible
013 (1280x960)_795.jpg

it was like a kite in wind. You take off, hold it level and travel like a hot air balloon, problem was turn around and it was a battle to go anywhere into the wind

Torque66

Fyi i run 4S 4500mah on 10" props and my motors get to 150F all the time.... 50 packs later then are fine.... so i wouldn't worry about your stock motors until you get your new ones.

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Kloner,
At 2200 grams/ quad..... are you coming down motors hot?
Your running Suppo now, but you were running stock DJI. Did you ever run this weight with the DJI?

kloner

Aerial DP
not hot, but after 10 minutes flying around in 105-110 degrees, they werent ambient. i could put a finger or hold my hand and not think it was gonna burn me by any stretch. no smell, nothing out of the ordinary. i measured a couple times with a laser gun and was 130-135 in 110 degree temps......

i ran dji motors for a short time, they wouldn't carry me and my gear. i could run 2200 mah and when tried adding a second 220 it'd fall with no up left after a minute or two. The 5000s i put on it made it crash so i could tell i was at the end of the motors thrust. hovered at like 3/4 stick, motors were always hot, 2 ccw motors almost burn ya kinda hot. i did that one trip to the desert

Trappy is suppose to save us some money on them motors, just not sure if it's much, he wont tell us. I'm buying a set but there still 2-4 weeks away

kloner

Aerial DP
I've heard that common motor materials are good to 160f,,,, scorpion claims to be good to 180f and that's suppose to be "special"

Torque66

All i know is that i can run the dji stock motors at 150F for a couple of minutes and they're fine after 50+ packs... when i land they'll jump another 10F... sometimes i just let the motors idle and the temps drop quickly down to 110F from the wash. i have a telemetry sensor on one of the motors

kloner

Aerial DP
They'll make it a while. I'm on the second sets of batteries for these things. Used up the first set in 5-6 months,,,,, i'm somewhere around flights 700 and 800, only used 3 batteries for a while and they were all over 200 cycles, by alot. After i got a handle on the problems and solutions like jello, etc i don't fly much from home anymore so my flights slowed down alot. I fly 200 miles from home, we have a place at the colorado river we goto every 2 weeks. now i pace myself and my packs........ and i make sure i bring gear that'll make it through the weekend. The winters are awesome, sunny and 80 but the summers are a *****. 105-120 daily..... if i were to try flying a motor that got 150 in 80-90 degree weather into 105 weather, it'd go over, easily. if it is 105 outside when the 150 temps happen, then your flirting with the edge of works/didn't work. But hey, it makes great stories

This was one of the last times i flew a f450

kept crashing breaking bearings. That was how i found out my batteries wer done, it was a couple minutes in and just had an iminent fascination with the ground,,,, twice

kloner

Aerial DP
ah so Team BlackSheep is just using tiger motors and putting their label over it

not a label, RC tiger is laser engraving them, aka relabled. alot of what you buy not knowing is relabled something from china