Hoverfly Home brew

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Here's my latest video from my homebrew rig! Getting better :)

Sorry if you've already seen it.

This is one of the best videos I have seen in a while. You can feel flight! A big thing lacking with all this Zenmuse perfect footage we have seen. Great location to top! Good work!

Yuri

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerovideo

this is with 4.6 r2?? plush escs?? it seems great n1..

Thanks! I think just 4.6 is loaded on my HFPro, didn't know there was a 4.6.2 ?

I put some 3 bladed props on that seemed to help the roll oscillation I see in ALL my hoverfly videos.

Wow, that is very impressive. The video looks great, and you've got some great frame building skills. Very inspiring!

Haha, thanks... you must not have seen pics of the frame :) Although, I am pretty happy with the video I'm getting. I still have some oscillations in certain maneuvers which is annoying. If I lower the gain much more then it flies pretty sloppy.

Mighty impressive. This one is a bit softer compared to the "in-law" vid. Is that because of the cloud cover?

Thank you, yeah I think the overcast conditions made it softer and darker. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon when we left our house to take a little drive into the mountains, go figure! hehe...

This is one of the best videos I have seen in a while. You can feel flight! A big thing lacking with all this Zenmuse perfect footage we have seen. Great location to top! Good work!

Yuri

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

Thanks! I think just 4.6 is loaded on my HFPro, didn't know there was a 4.6.2 ?

I put some 3 bladed props on that seemed to help the roll oscillation I see in ALL my hoverfly videos.

you also might want to try adding balsa wedges to the full length of the arm tops to reduce "beating" - made a difference on my H. What brand/size of 3 blade props are you using?

gondoflier

you should make this frame for production...I think you have all the elements right. Its foldable as well..excellent ! ..the only thing I would add is just a few degrees of pan tilt stabilization for the gopro an it would be perfect.

Aerovideo

you should make this frame for production...I think you have all the elements right. Its foldable as well..excellent ! ..the only thing I would add is just a few degrees of pan tilt stabilization for the gopro an it would be perfect.

I would love too but would need someone with a CNC machine. Although now I've got some ideas for improvements... hehe

I have seen that and nearly pulled the trigger on one. I do have one of these:

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/12mm-gopro-hero-hd-housing-pivot-mount

It's nice for hanging a go pro. The one with the roll servo would be a nice step up!

this is getting to be a "must visit" thread...hope back/front left motors made it through...other than that it looks like it broke in all the right (cheap) places...I'm surprised that driver didn't freak when you pulled ahead...

Aerovideo

this is getting to be a "must visit" thread...hope back/front left motors made it through...other than that it looks like it broke in all the right (cheap) places...I'm surprised that driver didn't freak when you pulled ahead...

Yeah the nylon bolts sheared on the top and the legs folded in so the props and nylon bolts are the only broken items. Although I have it torn down inspecting everything at the moment and have plans to move it all to another quad possibly, not sure though. I liked this frame.

hugh4g

Interesting thread.... Its not for nothing that tripods used to be made of wood.... Stable and vibration absorbing, especially useful in astro work as well as photography.

Keep up the excellent flying

Hugh

yeah, the frame seems to hit the sweet spot. i agree with Hugh, wood seems to fly good + cost effective and doable in most everyone's shop. time to crank up the heater, go out and cut a new pattern ;)

Aerovideo

Ha, I just caught your folding frame thread over at RCGroups, nicely done! That's what I've been trying to achieve but you've beat me to it. Please send one at your earliest convenience... haha ;)

Aerovideo

Thats funny. Im seriously considering building your wood one. Trade plans?

Sure! Let me dig around for the illustrator file I drew up for this. Although I made some tweaks afterwards, like longer arms.

Don't know if I have the skills to make your setup :)

--------------------- 8 hours later :) ----------------------------------------

Here are the illustrator files I used to design and cutout my frame:

http://www.creativebush.com/pictures/QuadDesign.zip

The zip file contains two illustrator files, one is the design and the other is my cutting template.

I use all M3 Hardware and the wood is from the local hobby store, aircraft plywood. The booms are from Lowes, 1/2" stock. The black round vibration dampeners were made from rubber washers in the plumbing dept at Lowes. Just drill a hole all the way through and put 2 M3x10 bolts through. Don't really have an official supply list. Also, I think I lengthened my booms 1" from the original design in the illustrator file. The motor mounts are from my collection of Rusty's frame parts. http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com

Not sure if this is enough info to help people out or not. If not fire away any questions you may have.