F450 at 1900 grams, getting hot, should I swap motors?

kloner

Aerial DP
Everytime it went over 60 amps on my osd it showed that,,, like 60.1 it'd do it. 8" maxed out at 60 amp so it made it easier to fly with 8's

this is them on 9" on a thick frame, WFO, 90ish amps, 60mph
they'll act like that on your frame, i ran em on f450's for months, since february, got my first fpv frame late may

this is them on your frame, 9" . the problem with 9's in general is it hovers in manual at 1/3 stick so it doesn't do wind as well, almost overpowers em, lots of little things. if you get all this and want 9's, i'll trade ya, got a box full of em in the package

the end of that one was my dragonlink long range system doing what it did best, this was a few days after that other video in the other thread where it tried to kill me, it was the same crap, was so pissed. in fromnt of my inlaws, kids, had this thing i wasn't controlling. stay away from dragonlink if you ever get into this. That thing cost me a ton of money fixin stuff it ate.

when i say thin frame, i'm talking half the thickness of a stock one

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
because your using that on a quad, you will want to upgrade to circular polarized antennas like you see in the pics of mine. Without them the rx and tx antennas have to constantly stay pointing the same exact angle, great if you hover, but when you go forward with these things they til 45 degrees, as far from horizontal or vertical you can get and makes video signal suck.

I make em, you can get em online, you can try out that new solder iron and make your own. I get the sma connectors from ebay, the rg316 from a local electrical supply house ($.50 a ft) and i got a spool of welding wire from harbor freight and followed these tutorials
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388264
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread...larized-antenna-tutorial!&p=142107#post142107
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377791

or buy em here
[url]http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_45_49_97

[/URL]

F450

I'm glad you told me this before I started flying with it, don't want the signal to cut out in mid flight :(

kloner

Aerial DP
5.8 bounces off pretty hard. for just about all the signals, 5.8, 2.4, 1.3 pretty much need line of sight to work. i had my plane out last trip and was playing with what the lowest i could get was a mile out, had a small hump between me and the plane and the signal just doesn't bend, it radiates straight off. This is 2.4 video link recorded off a monitor just like yours using a dvr.... the distance at the bottom is feet, that's pretty much what it looks like when you flirt with the edge

mountains and rocks act like that on all of em. trees, building, other stuff penetrate a little better the lower the frequency but when you use high gain patch antennas like i linked you to called helical or crosshair, they all penetrate better

kloner

Aerial DP
this is the only crash that cost me money
no chute was savin me

now i've had iminent dates with the ground from LVC low voltage cuttoff, twice in one weekend, wore out my batteries before i got started fpv from setup
both in the first two minutes of that video. Second one broke a prop, first one i put the cam back up and it flew til the second one...... that might have helped, but by the time i realized what was going on, it was really low anyways and that's a guy witha little experience. when you get looking at a screen and take your eyes off a model it is extremely overwhelming at first. So many numbers and your basicaly flying instrument rated , no training, it's tough.

Tomstoy2

F450, I have the same fpv equipment. My vtx went kaput, could be my fault, one to many crashes, but I do know they now have a version 2, which leads me to believe they had a problem that they corrected. I do know it ran hot as hell, even with the fan. Perhaps that was the problem.
Since then, I went back to my 200mw vtx with Bulebeam and am amazed at the distance. I haven't taken it past 1/3'd mile yet, but out that far I had zero interference even all the way to a few feet off flat ground.
Pushing the distance Kloner does you will really want a diversity receiver,,, added insurance, plus a recorder and osd with gps so you can find the damn thing. Anything close to 1/4 mile out it's impossible to tell orentation just looking at it.
If that happens, just back up until you establish signal again. The main thing is to not panic. Trust your instincts, you saw what it was at before signal loss.
This is where gps hooked to the fc comes in real handy, just flip it on or fly with it on, let go of the sticks and it will sit there and give you time to sort yourself out.
Going higher is also a good idea if it starts to drop out, remember it's all line of sight.

I would recommend putting the vtx on a cf plate to prevent interference with the rest of the system.

Chutes on a small multi seems to me to be a waist of good money. Just remember to take everything in baby steps, get comfortable with your system and let all your electronics burn in before pushing out farther than you are comfortable with.
Most motor and esc failures will happen in the first 50 or so flights. I've lost 2 motors and one esc and 1 battery while burning everything in.
Also, stay on top of your maintenance, frequently oiling the bearings, blowing out the motors and checking on connectors.

FPV is just too cool!

kloner

Aerial DP
if any of you guys buy anything, gt lawmate if it's available in the frequency you want, otherwise immersion is really hard to beat

last time out ol kloner got to learn how to find his rigs in the desert. the best thing you can do is have at least one directional antenna with you and when you point it around at something on the ground, esp behind crap and in stuff it becomes extremely directional. both times led me straight to it using it just like a gold detector pointing it around and following the signal

F450

Oiling the bearings, s*** I didn't know I was supposed to do that. Do I just use 1 drop of oil in the motors after a month or so? Any particular oil brand that's good?

kloner

Aerial DP
i usually hit mine once before i go to the desert to fly, couple drops of tri flo. Does better at prevention than repairing, but i have since using brushless motors. Scorpion motors come with a warning you have to oil every 5 flights......... i do it when i can and i try not doing it then putting it in the dirt. i oil a day before, throws less around, makes less mess, then when i get home it air compressors and denatured alcohol to clean up my rig...... muddy oily crap builds up fast taking off in dirt

Tomstoy2

I run Tiger motors and oil the bearings about every 20 flights. You will get to a point you can hear when the bearings start to go dry.
I use oil from Scorpion. It has a nice needle to get to to the bearings. One small bottle lasts forever. Just a small drop, let it sit to work itself into the shield, then spin by hand a few times to work it around. Flip the bird over and do the bottom bearing next.

Cleaning is essential. Blow air into the motor bell and get the crap out. Also a damn good idea to do to a brand new motor before spinning them up the first time.

Keep the frame and electronics especially nice and clean. Dirt retains heat.

Don't forget to clean your lenses, too. Nothing worse than coming home, download the flight and see specks of dirt all over!

kloner

Aerial DP
every time...... spool it up set it down, clean the lens.... it's the first thing i do each trip.........

kloner

Aerial DP
one other thing, t-strike reminded me of while i'm sitting here setting up a set of these motors. The shafts on mine are ground down just a tad, .15-.2" so that prop adapter sits on top of the bell flush and tight. they also have flat spots ground in em for those set screws to sit in. Makes it so theres no way for it to spin or come off. I'm a modeler, what can i say, but i'm picky about it all. Of course you wouldn't have to but i do

kloner

Aerial DP
got anything grindy? bench grinder, sander, hell file?. there not super hard, stainless not like that black hardened metal like a black bolt

when you get everything if you need anything, i'm here if you cover shipping for whatever. ultra cheap