Dream Camera Lens Combos

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have an itch and it needs scratching!

Every one can dream.. but I have a plan and need some advice. I am looking at going bigger with my MR probably a ADX3HL, the choice of MR is not that important here as I have my reasons but my main question is Camera and Lens combos.

I am looking at the Canon 550D but what lens. ?

I am using the Sony Nex5 and 16mm lens at the moment and it works good.. BUT i want BETTER.

Weight has to be considered. I intend to try and keep at least 500g below optimal flying weight of the ADX3HL (4KG) because of the action type of footage I want to get, I need quick response and flying FAT is not an option in my opinion

SO - Dream camera lens combos please..

Dave

Macsgrafs

Allowing for the multiplication factor of the 550D, a 28mm F1.2 or F1.8 lens would give you the same field of view as the human eye, they are light lenses & can be bought for a good price on epants.

Ross

CopterCam

Now ! .............. here is a plug for my next Camera, Panasonic GH 2, there are many lenses available. From memory it can be bought in a 16 or 20mm bundle. The GH 1 has been hacked to shoot 3K video and from reports the GH 2 is been worked on ......... !

It is small and light so it might suit your requirments............... is the NEX 5 not up to the task ?

Sid

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Allowing for the multiplication factor of the 550D, a 28mm F1.2 or F1.8 lens would give you the same field of view as the human eye, they are light lenses & can be bought for a good price on epants.

Ross

ce qui est epants?

jes1111

You refer to "footage", so I presume you are talking video, in which case: why get a stills camera at all? A top quality video cam will cost you the same or less, surely? And it should be lighter. If you want both video and stills then I can understand. Personally I think this whole "video with a DSLR" thing has been over-hyped.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
You refer to "footage", so I presume you are talking video, in which case: why get a stills camera at all? A top quality video cam will cost you the same or less, surely? And it should be lighter. If you want both video and stills then I can understand. Personally I think this whole "video with a DSLR" thing has been over-hyped.

I would love to go out and buy both the canon and a panasonic sd800 its got to kinda stop at some point.. Or does it!?

The problem with the likes of the Panasonic SD800 is the lens. Its to long. I need something wide and fast.. So the canon 550D has some pretty good video reviews and the lenses are interchangeable. Rumors have it that Home and Away is shot with them!

From the shots and footage I have seen from the 550D it looks very good and the weight is surley designed for MR's ;)

If you have suggestions for either stills or video please chuck um in here asap..

Dvae

jes1111

Got ya!

Fast and loose, eh? I mean... wide and fast!

If you want fast, then the only Canon fast wide zooms are the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM RRP: £1,790.00 and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S RRP:£1,210.00 !!!! And both relatively heavy. Then there's the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM RRP:£2,810.00. Even the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (enough letters for ya?) is 470-odd quid and 565g.

I think this is a case of wide/fast/cheap - pick any two! It would be a whole lot easier starting with a 5DMkII, of course ;-) Or an SD800 for £550, plus the VW-W4607H x0.7 conversion lens - giving an equivalent view to a 24.5mm lens (on full frame) or a 15mm on the crop camera.

I think there is a "dream combo", but it's very expensive and very heavy - 5DMkII or 1DSMkIII with 14mm f/2.8, but then you're into the price/weight range of some serious video cameras.

jes1111

Just read the other post about your new body - so you really a lens fast, eh? Can't do better than the Sigma 10-20mm :)

ctbon

Newb question....is anything TOO wide? I mean by that anything that would have landing gear / rotors in the frame. How do you make a lens decision based on that? I mean, of course, only lenses that don't have zoom.

If anyone has specific answers for the GH2 that would be great. I'm looking at the 20mm f1.7 pancake. Anyone have any experience?

On a side note, does anyone cut out landing gear / props in post production?

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

ce qui est epants?

epants = ebay

Got ya!

Fast and loose, eh? I mean... wide and fast!

If you want fast, then the only Canon fast wide zooms are the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM RRP: £1,790.00 and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S RRP:£1,210.00 !!!! And both relatively heavy. Then there's the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM RRP:£2,810.00. Even the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (enough letters for ya?) is 470-odd quid and 565g.

I think this is a case of wide/fast/cheap - pick any two! It would be a whole lot easier starting with a 5DMkII, of course ;-) Or an SD800 for £550, plus the VW-W4607H x0.7 conversion lens - giving an equivalent view to a 24.5mm lens (on full frame) or a 15mm on the crop camera.

I think there is a "dream combo", but it's very expensive and very heavy - 5DMkII or 1DSMkIII with 14mm f/2.8, but then you're into the price/weight range of some serious video cameras.

Nice lenses & cameras, but ALL zoom lenses have massive weight, hence why I suggested a fixed focus lens. I have a 28-70mm F2.8 sigma, but I never use it on my aerial ship, I stick with the 28mm as that is what the human eye sees (crop factor taken into account).

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I use 16mm on my Nex5 as I dont have to go as high to get everything in shot but I am shooting blind. I guess with the 28mm lens and FPV through the camera you will be able to get the shot everytime so thats what I am getting for my Canon. cant afford the 1.8 so and going for the 2.4. My feeling is that when I am flying to get work shots there will always be enough light. Plus its half the weight of the 1.8

Bartman

I use 16mm on my Nex5 as I dont have to go as high to get everything in shot but I am shooting blind. I guess with the 28mm lens and FPV through the camera you will be able to get the shot everytime so thats what I am getting for my Canon. cant afford the 1.8 so and going for the 2.4. My feeling is that when I am flying to get work shots there will always be enough light. Plus its half the weight of the 1.8

Vdae,
Depending on what you're doing with it you may find the 28mm gets you in too close and personal but I'm not a photography expert so take that opinion for what it's worth. i understand what some people like about shooting blind and waiting to see what they've got but the FPV enables you to get the shot you have in mind and to do it really quickly. Don't be surprised if you only need one or two flights to feel like you've got good workable pictures.
The video stuff is a whole different ballgame.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Bart.. I will be picking your brains also.. thanks for your hands on thoughts / experiences, could you post up your FPV set up in the FPV thread? Ta

Edav

Macsgrafs

You can find all lenses field of view (FOV) if you go to thier respective manufacturers website. I use a set square with degrees graduation & overlay on a OS map before going to a shoot, that way I can make a choice of what lens would be best to get all in that I want, it also means I can be several hundred metres away from the subject & know beforehand what I will be able to see.

Ross

jappie911

hmm.. thinking about buying a new DSLR for still and film for weeks now..

I was waiting for the hack of the GH2, but as I am reading and following there will be no Liveview during Recording over composite.. And it is not and will probably never be possible in the GH1 also..

So now reading about the Canon 550d.. but just saw some video's of it with bad panning.. And reading more about that problem, which is not good for Aerials..

So now what ? Want to keep it in the same price range as above camera's. And need a wide lens also.

And offcourse, liveview over composite, and remote shutter..

Any new idea ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

what do you mean by bad panning? I'm not familiar with that problem.

btw 28mm wouldn't be wide enough for AP in tight locations. i'm using a 10-20 zoom and i'm typically using it set in the 10 to 14 range. when i can i switch to the kit lense which is much lighter but starts at 18mm.

bart