what to use

matwelli

what can i use, that wont finance a small country, that will esentially hold position for me.

I have a guy who wants to do aerial photography, and want to equip the quad so he can move the sticks to move it , but let go and it sits there.

Ardupirates ?

any other thoughts ?

matwelli

thats only two letters - ive been short changed !

can you give me a 5 second rundown on what MK can do please (lazy is one of my virtues, but its also late and kids are playing up)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Mat,
The MK flight controller is very stable and the GPS works well. The GPS can be configured to reposition with stick inputs so if you're trying to establish the quad over a position, having it in position hold and manually adjusting it will result in it holding that new position.
XAircraft intends to announce the availability of a GPS module in the coming weeks so it's possible they'll have a lower cost option but I don't know what features it will include. I'm not familiar enough with other GPS options to comment on them.
Hope that helps,
Bart

matwelli

well , ignoring all good advice - just brought an ardupilotmega, gps, magnetometer, oilpan, $318USD inc shipping to NZ

been following the thread, they are hot on the MK's achievements and in a month we should have a good system (famous last words)

Will post up the trials and tribulations :)

Bartman

mat,
what country is it coming from and is there a company name? are they the ardupirates bunch from rcg? isn't their board a clone of another board? arduwii or something? i lose track of the different boards and who accuses who of cloning stuff.
cheers
bart

matwelli

Hi Bart,

The board is coming from www.DIYdrones.com - its the real thing , great deal $300USD for all you need, board, gps, magnetometer.

Ardupirates group were a splinter group that decided to develop the multirotor version of the software, when the original went "commercial"

recently they teamed back up with the DIYdrones group http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/blogs/arducopter-ng-taken-over-by

the guys seem to be hot on the heals of the MK software (and a bucket load cheaper)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Not sure about all the new cheaper stuff that is springing up.. all I know is MK really WORKS. I have spent a small fortune on different systems and am now convinced the MK stuff is well researched, well designed and really well thought out. I am sure there are people out there that will complain about the 12c bus, the this that and the other but it works good for me. All I want is a stable platform.
Its German. and after a few decades of working with German tech they really work things through and as far as I am concerned the Audi statement 'vorsprung durch Technik" rules

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Matwell.. Just had a good old shuffty at the ardupilot stuff.. Looks very interesting. I was thinking of building a little light flyaround and was wondering how to control it. It will be interesting to get your thoughts after your experience with the KK thinkymabob.

Dave

matwelli

The KKuK boards are a nice easy answer if you want to fly a cheap "keep it in the car" multirotor. The board works well, but is not perfect, as the gyros are cheap,and you do get drift during the flight. but its no biggie, and for $100 USD its a easy way to get a quad/Y4/Y6/Hex flying. the tuning is simple (3 gain pots) and reversing gyros etc is also simple. Minsoo Kims software versions are leading the pack as he gives you three flight modes , normal where roll/pitch is at 50%, acro where they are ramped up, and UFO where the YAW response is amped up.

From setup to flying is maybe 5 minutes ? (8 if you also have a coffee to drink)

At our little hover-in 6 ran the Blue Board (minsoos KKuK ) and one ran a FY21 (i think)

matwelli

Well.... I placed my order on Tuesday, so I am hoping sometime next week ? but havent delt with DIYDrones before.

Just went to the DIYDrones store, the order is still "Processing"

Crash

Defies Psychics
Can't wait to see the build Mat. I have faith and I'd have the boards in my hands if I had enough time. Do you know if it can handle a dual prop copter?

Bart, the terms 'Pirates' and 'clone' don't have the same connotation as one would think. Arduino based 'things' are by nature shareable. People can take the open source code, and make a new 'branch' of it and then distribute that code. It's not the same thing as a company building a clone MK board and using the MK firmware as their own. That's my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bartman

i thought the "pirates" were also building clone boards but maybe i misunderstood what i read about them. it looks like they're all one big happy family now so it's a moot point.
i'm watching this thread also. Mikrokopter definitely has figured out how to harness the power of pixie dust so it'll be interesting to see who else can tap into it.
bc

matwelli

@ crash , dont know if ardupilot can do a dual prop, I know the kkuk can

Well, my weekend just disapeared, Fedex delivered a small cardboard box with some shiney stuff inside !

Ardupilot is in the building !

Crash

Defies Psychics
@ crash , dont know if ardupilot can do a dual prop, I know the kkuk can

Well, my weekend just disapeared, Fedex delivered a small cardboard box with some shiney stuff inside !

Ardupilot is in the building !

I don't think the arducopter boards can support dual props either at this point. I'm sure they will in the future.

Let's see some pictures of your new kit.

Kilby

I'm eager to see your results as well Mat. That board works well with the OSD i'm using, and I have been looking for just such a solution myself. From what I have read, you should see pretty good results from that set up.