Copter Newb from NJ Needs Advice

APZ

Howdy all. I'm Ken and I've always enjoyed messing around a bit with woodworking and some electronics. Built my own MAME some years ago and have recently started playing with an Arduino. I stumbled across some quad copter videos online and now I need to build my own. I've already ordered a quad frame from http://www.quadframe.com/ along with a kkuk controller. I also ordered 3 HK401B gyros to go on the kkuk board. I'm still a bit cloudy as to exactly what else I need. I think the motors, rotors and battery are straight forward, but what about the rest? I believe I need 4 ESCs, but am not sure which. I'll also need a transmitter I'm thinking 6 channel. What else am I missing? Any suggestions or guides? I haven't been able to find a simple walk through for all the parts needed. Sorry to start off with so many questions.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
APZ
Welcome to the multirotorforums and greetings from western New Jersey!!!!
RTRyder just got himself a KK controller so he'll probably be your best bet for advice to get things sorted out.
6 channels will get it flying but if you want to add a camera or other features then you may want to go for more channels.
Try putting a post in the general discussions area with your questions and we'll get you moving.
Bart

Hey APZ, just wanted to say hi and welcome to the addiction. I can't help you out with your 1st thread other than to recommend at least a 7 channel radio. A DX7 would be a great wait to start. I'm also from NJ, south of you about 10 minutes from Philly. Good luck getting started. If you've never flown RC before get a Simulator and practice. I sound like a broken record to some I'm sure but it will save you money.

matwelli

hi - welcome aboard - just need to mention I have built 3 of the kkuk boards from quadframe so sing out if you need some help- Jakub does a nice frame as well, very well machined.

ESC's that work with the KKuk boards - turnigy Plush 18's are great, Hobbyking brand 18's are also good (run the same processor as the plush's - hobby wing) make sure you get a program card when you buy them, and set them up like this http://multirotor.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/multirotor-esc-settings/

quad_esc_setup.jpg

what frame did you get ? that will narrow down the motor choice .