DJI S800 Product Bulletin - ESC too high temperature

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
guys just finished up the S800 esc exchanged etc. Thought i would try the beta assistant and and FW, and the assistant won't let me edit the gain setting. Field are all messed up and i can't write new gain setting to the system.

Anyone experiencing anything similar ?

thanks

Boris

Tahoe Ed

Well the solder joints look ok but I will redo them just to be sure. I may have been imagining this but I thought that there was some moisture in the esc housing. I am not sure. If that were true, it would explain the conformal coating on the original escs. I have some, so I may go back and coat all the escs. I don't have silicon but I do have acrylic

.View attachment 5299

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 217

Tahoe Ed

Make sure you are in english. I had a similar problem with Ground Station. Also if you got the new WKM MU make sure that the new S/N is showing up in the Assistant.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm thanks strange one everything in english ( had all the other assistant version running on that VMware windows 7 image. ) What do you mean with MU ?

Tahoe Ed

hmm thanks strange one everything in english ( had all the other assistant version running on that VMware windows 7 image. ) What do you mean with MU ?

If you purchased before Jan 2012 then there are problems with the Main Controller. DJI was replacing them with the escs. Mine was replaced.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ah MC, yes have one installed in the S800 that was purchased after jan 2012, two others i have to send back

thanks

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
uninstalled reinstalled several times tried it on a XP windows version on windows 7 won't work. Assistants 1.30 and 1.30a always show the same issue and don't allow me to edit the gain setting. The previous assistant version what ever it was works ;(

View attachment 5335View attachment 5336

Attachments

• 130assistant.jpg
    130assistant.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 211
  • 130assistant2.jpg
    130assistant2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 210

JDM66

Hi,

How do you find the CG on an S800?

sorry Boris, no idea

Tomorrow I test my S800 with:

- Ecs repair by Switzerland
- New firmware version 1.30A
- new MC

I cross my fingers and legs !!! :nevreness:

jdm66

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
uninstalled reinstalled several times tried it on a XP windows version on windows 7 won't work. Assistants 1.30 and 1.30a always show the same issue and don't allow me to edit the gain setting. The previous assistant version what ever it was works ;(

View attachment 7128View attachment 7129

Strange one it resolved itself today by just working all of a sudden. I think the reason at the beginning although it don't see a connection was that I started up the WKM unit in failsafe a couple times and configured it. It was in failsafe because i didn't connect the RX. I didn't later though and it didn't work. Now today everything it fine hmm :)

Boris

skivvie

Just did my first flights with the Zenmuse on my S800. So impressive.

Did a battery time test and got 13:48 out of two Zippy 5000 mAh down to first level protection which I have at 19.8V (3.3V/cell) with the gimbal and camera and video transmitter all running. Not too shabby. Motors and ESC's were HOT after landing... could only touch them for 3 seconds... no thermometer handy.

ChrisViperM

Motors and ESC's were HOT after landing... could only touch them for 3 seconds... no thermometer handy.

Do you still have the "old" ESC's or is it the replacement ESC's....if it's the new ones, I wonder if the replacement was to be for any use....???

Chris

skivvie

Replacements. And I flew my packs down way too far... 97% which was 3.3v/cell loaded. Now I'm calibrated and can go by time not voltage.

gmango

My ESCs replacements came in today. The S800 flew fine and esc felt warm. I have a question. The current WooKong assistant manual say that when the firm ware is updated, that you must not
power the battery. What does that mean? Can you even access the S800 through the software without plugin the battery? I updated the software and firm ware with battery.
Also, under gimbal setting you can pick a frequency. It did not have any effect on my CiniStar gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
They mean do not unplug the battery while you are uploading the firmware.

With the frequency on the gimbal you need to check what your servos work best at. I aint an expert but you could burn um out with 400hz unless they are designed for that refresh rate

Dave

DennyR

The WKM must have power to upgrade the firmware and you must not disconnect during that process. After the firmware has been flashed you MUST then turn the power OFF and then Back ON again (recycle). before you try to use it.

Then you must reconfiger all of the settings after setting back to default first, don't forget the compass calib. last.

saidquad

Dji just informed me that my S800 is among those which have faulty ESCs and they should be replaced. Dji will send me replacements. I wonder if I could be able to replace them by myself. I can solder wires to connectors but I have never soldered wires to electronic boards. I am wondering if it is difficult. Anyone have a video how to do this? Tahoe Ed was kind enough to show how we can repair ESC but demounting and replacement procedure was not shown. I feel very sorry to buy an expensive product which I cannot use until it is repaired.

Tahoe Ed

To replace the DJI S800 escs is relatively simple. Just unscrew the motor, desolder the motor wires and set aside. Unscrew the esc, check if the led is red or green. You can see a small red dot on the red ones. Unsolder the esc from the 4 copper wires. Tin the pads on the new esc. Here is a wiring diagram:

View attachment 5422

I put two screws in loosely to keep the alignment. Resolder all the wires and reassemble. I got to about 3 min per arm. Really not that hard.

Attachments

• S800 ESC Wiring.jpg
    S800 ESC Wiring.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 361