DJI S800 Product Bulletin - ESC too high temperature

Tahoe Ed

Probably a lot. That is why I do not recommend it. I ended up removing all my escs and sent them to DJI for replacement. I can resolder the escs but those 2mm wires are a bugger.

DennyR

ED
I did mine and then one of them blew the caps. as soon as I turned it on. I did a very careful job but I think the conformal silicon spray can make life difficult and cause one to overheat the board. They will send me a replacement when they have them!!!!
Telling customers that surface mount repairs are an easy quick solution is not right. I personally don't want repaired items that may or may not be reliable. I will wait for the factory production new ones to arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

Denny, I agree. The conformal coating is a major impediment to making the repairs needed. I have soldered stuff this small before but the coating takes it to another level. When I posted the video I just wanted to let people know what they were getting themselves in for. I really hope that the replacement esc's come without coating. I can then decide if I want to coat them or not, probably not. I don't fly in rain or over water. Maybe in snow, but that is different. I have done that before with regular equipment, including electronics that were uncovered. No problem so far.

DennyR

Ed
I think the conformal coating is a good idea because ESC's are notoriously unreliable if they get damp or accumulate dust etc. they can even fail if the wrong solvents are used to clean them. Dust is a major problem in Cyp.

Tahoe Ed

I don't necessarily disagree. I think that I might wait to do the coating until I get everything up and running well. The other issue is that I am somewhat concerned about the coated wires that come out of the Arms. I think that I will coat them even if I don't do the rest of the board.

Ed
I think the conformal coating is a good idea because ESC's are notoriously unreliable if they get damp or accumulate dust etc. they can even fail if the wrong solvents are used to clean them. Dust is a major problem in Cyp.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I know I might be getting paranoid just wanted to check again. Since I additionally isolated the thin cables and can't distinguish between them anymore when it comes to thickness. V P G G is correct the way I marked it in the Pic ? Sorry ED for asking again but i can't find it in the manual and i just want to go 100% sure.

View attachment 5264

Thanks

Boris

Attachments

• S800VPGG.jpg
    S800VPGG.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 349

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm image is not showing, can you tell me which page its on in the manual, no clue why i can't find it. Maybe because it 5:50 in the morning :)

thanks !!!!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Japp i agree thats why i added some extra shrink tube around them ! Just to go sure and eventually i will fixate them again with some silicon.

I wonder in the diagram if they are looking onto the arms from the top or bottom. But i get it now the two GND are next to each other and they are also connected to each other in the arms or somewhere. When is check continuity GND from the cooper connects side will give me a signal on a thin and thick wire.

Thanks !!!!

DennyR

I think that the danger comes right where they leave the arm ducting. Vibration could cause the shellac coating to wear down and then poof....

I expect that the plastic arm also has some nice conductive carbon.

Tahoe Ed

I took my S800 out for a little flying /testing this afternoon. The weather was cooperating, a balmy 107 with winds of 10mph gusting to 14. Perfect flying weather to test escs and motors. This is a stock S800 no gimbal flying 2x6S 5000mAh lipos. GPS set 12 degrees clockwise for magnetic declination. I installed the new escs from DJI, the new WKM MU and the latest software v1.30a and v5.12a. I took off and it was as solid as it could be. Flew out and around about a 100m box to make sure that I was over some soft grass. Nothing out of the ordinary. Exactly what I expect from the S800. I was about 8 minutes into a 15 minute flight when something caught my eye. I brought the hexa in for a closer view. My jaw just about dropped off. The number one motor was completely stopped.
eek.gif
The prop was stationary. Oh My Gosh!!! Yet the S800 was flying like nothing was wrong. The motor just quit. I am sure that it has something to do with my superior soldering skills. :shame: Any way I brought it back the last 100 feet and down to a soft landing. I felt the motors and I could grab and hold on to them and the escs. Were they warm, yup, but is was 107 in the shade and I wasn't flying in the shade.

I remember about a year ago that DJI showed some videos of a hexa flying with 5 motors but I have also read where folks have felt lucky to bring them down in one piece. Man was I lucky and blown away by the performance of the WKM S800 with only 5 motors. Now to open up the esc and see what I did wrong. Probable a cold solder joint. Don't want to do that again but it was way cool.
biggrin.gif

gmango

Holy Cow! You have got to photograph what went wrong with that motor. The people at Century Helicopter told me that the S800 could fly with 5 motors but if you lose 2 motors remaining motors must be in a Quad configuration. I hope I never test that theory, my arm with replaced esc come in this week.

skivvie

Wow. Nice to know that one! Curious to know what it was. Glad you made it home okay.

I just flew a pack in 20+ gusts 95 degree weather and the motors and ESC's were hot but I could touch them for a long time before it was too hot to handle. Really impressed with the wind handling of this thing. Did get some drifts in strong gusts in GPS hold but nothing I was surprised with.

Tahoe Ed

I will take the esc apart tonight and post some pictures. I am sure it was my soldering. Someone else had a motor fail because of a cold soldered joint. I suspect the same. I was so in shock that I actually flew it around a little and contemplated getting my iPhone out to video it. It was truly amazing looking out at 5 spinning motors and one prop setting stationary in the air. However, I thought it better to land than film and crash.

Strange I thought the crashes on the S800 were caused BY a motor failure (via an ESC), Is it possible to test this with some video evidence?

Tahoe Ed

If you want to do it feel free. I am not going there again intentionally. At least I know that it will handle it, if it should happen again. As far as the other crashes go, I don't know how many motors failed, one, two more? More than one you will definitely go down.