JDM66

Hi

after S800 and all frustrations, I need to beef up my arms :D

jdm66

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Infos on the repair procedure or send in:

Check the attachments for the procedure if you want to repair it yourself.

July 3rd, 2012

Option 1: End users can fix ESC solder jump wires to the six resistors per instruction sheet.(Instruction as attached.)

Option 2: Take out the ESC and send to dealer for ESC replacement.(we will assign dealer to help)

Option 3: Sending the whole arms to dealers designated by DJI, dealer will fix ESC and return.

See PDF Attachments

DJI S800 Product Bulletin

Dear Valued DJI Innovations customers:

DJI Innovations has determined that the Electronic Speed Controllers in certain S800 Hexacopters manufactured between May 2012 and June 28 2012 could have higher than expected temperature affecting an unknown number of units. Your confidence in our products is paramount; DJI Innovations is conducting a voluntary program to replace those parts free of charge.

Please email your order details to s800@dji-innovations.com to see if this bulletin applies; we will then issue an RMA number and instructions to send in your parts for repair.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but rest assured we will always do everything in our power to insure your safety and satisfaction.

Next Steps -

1) Email DJI at s800@dji-innovations.com to get an RMA number.
2) Once RMA Number is obtained contact your Authorized DJI Distributor for the return procedure.

Here is a list of DJI Distributors to contact once you have an RMA Number (please let me know who else I should add to this list)

View attachment 5002View attachment 5003

Attachments

• Attentions for S800-2012.07.02.pdf
    373 KB · Views: 411
  • S800 ESC Cooling Guidance-en.pdf
    353.7 KB · Views: 415

mailman35

this really makes you doubt the quality of product coming from dji. i wonder if they got the s800 and clone s800 parts mixed up.

Tahoe Ed

I am doing the self repair. After three arms, I am not sure that I would recommend it to anyone. I am ok with the soldering part, but the conformal coating that they used is a PIA. I have had two partial tares of pads because of the adhesion of the coating. It is next to impossible to get all of it off where the leads and SMD resistors are mounted. I am going to finish it out and do some tests. If it doesn't work, then I am taking the escs off and returning them for replacement or repair.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Whats your take on just exchanging the ESC by oneself ? How annoying is it just to solder of the main leads and motor connections. And have you found out what coating they are using and what its there for ? Waterproof, protection from vibrations ?

Thanks

Boris

Tahoe Ed

To desolder the motor leads and the 4 leads from the arm is simple. I use a Dremel Tool wire brush connected to my drill to clean the coating off the leads. The coating is to control moisture, or at least that is what I was told by DJI. It looks like a silicon conformal coating. I got some urethane conformal coating at Fry's. Performs the same function but not as thick as the silicon.

What takes the time is bridging the SMD pads after you remove the resistors. The wires are about 2.5mm long and it takes a micro tweezer to hold them while you try to solder the small pads. I remove what I can of the coating, remove the resistors, clean with Isopropol alcohol, clean again with the wire brush then more alcohol. Apply flux, and use a very small tip to solder. I am using magnification the whole time. After I am done, more alcohol and a close look with higher magnification. It is very time consuming. If there was no coating it would be a relative simple task.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the Info. I think i will send in the arms or request new ESCs. I don't have the time at the moment to do the whole procedure and I know i will rush it and make a mistake.

Boris

gmango

I hope others have had better experience dealing with UAVproducts (Robert Remund). My experience was negative. I purchased a HEXA from Robert and sent him a little over $5,000 dollars to build . I received confirmation that he received payment, but Robert never returned any of my calls or responded to any e-mails, I began to wonder if DJIUSA really existed. I finally did receive the Hexa, and was happy with the work, but Roberts lack of response to a paying customer is unprofessional. I did have one question about his build, which I e-mailed and phoned, Robert never replied.

I soon decided to purchase an S800 and decided to give Robert another chance. I actually talked to Robert on the phone and discussed the S800 invoice that he was going to e-mail. I never got it. After many e-mails and phone calls , nothing. I finally gave up but was lucky enough to find a vendor on the west coast Century Helicopter that had an S800 in stock and was within driving distance (20 minutes). I am sure that Robert has loyal customers that he is responsive to, but I clearly was not one of them.

I am still going through the process of determining whether my S800 is affected by the recall and hope that other S800 owners receive a satisfactory solution to the problem without making things worse. So far I have flow the S800 approximately 20 hours.

Sent S800 to Century Helicopters for rework last friday. Got S800 back and things are good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the Info. I think i will send in the arms or request new ESCs. I don't have the time at the moment to do the whole procedure and I know i will rush it and make a mistake.

Boris
Boris...same as. From what I can'see' here the whole DIY process sounds complex, difficult to complete perfectly, lengthy in time and requires additional tools...opportunities to make lots of mistakes. I'm sending all the arms/booms complete but minus the props to a pre-defined organisation in Switzerland for the repair. It's going to take some time but I believe it is a better move for me to make it happen thisd way. My only concerns are lack of info from DJI (are they repairing or replacing the ESCs ?), mis-info from other sources (DJI are compensating relevant customers in some way) and the fact that I will be picking up the tab it seems for the reasonably expensive courier costs.

ChrisViperM

Thanx for the link...I am just sitting here and thinking what to say without beeing called a DJI hater. First...some GPS's had an issue, then we had to send the arms for replacement 'cause the ESC's have to be exchanged....now it's not the arms but the WooKong M....even the supports for the landing gear did not fit...the LiPo's are dangling around 'cause no battery tray.....

But I can see the marketing department alredy working overtime:

Preorder Francy: If you buy a S800 now, we will ship it with a brand new multimeter, a Dremel Tool and a soldering station....

Slowly this is getting highly entertaining

snurre

Hey, what?
So now there are NEW and OLD WKM:s.
What is the implication for other than S800 users?

I use my WKM with Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 50 on an octa. Preliminary test flights are promising.
Now, should I be worried?
Are OLD WKM:s BAD WKM:s? :upset:

/ Tomas

plingboot

…so, if i have a wkm sitting here unused (from a previous build) and waiting for me to have the cash for an S800, will DJI swap out that MC for a new one when i make my purchase?

Also, have DJI made any comment about the stock dealers are currently holding?

Is all to be returned/modified etc? Would be good to know what the situation is for available S800's

I assume the from date "X" (to be advised by DJI) all S800's will have this issue sorted?

…so, if i have a wkm sitting here unused (from a previous build) and waiting for me to have the cash for an S800, will DJI swap out that MC for a new one when i make my purchase?

Also, have DJI made any comment about the stock dealers are currently holding?

Is all to be returned/modified etc? Would be good to know what the situation is for available S800's

I assume the from date "X" (to be advised by DJI) all S800's will have this issue sorted?
I have just sent an email to DJI copying the repair dealer in Switzerland on these 'issues' requesting more detail...
1) Are the ESCs being replaced or repaired (who makes the decision to do what)

2) My MC was ordered by me via a UK dealer before 30/08/2011 suggesting that it was built before January 2012 and therefore should be replaced

Or have i just read a load of mis-information ?

snurre

Bulletin quote
"We are in the process of a voluntary replacement of WKM MC manufactured before January 31 to all S-800 owners."

I did not buy a S-800 but I bought a WKM, end of december 2011.
Used on an octa, ESCs mounted under each motor.

- Where does that leave me in this??
:upset:

skivvie

Contact the s800@dji email, or post in that thread. I'd wager they will take care of you. They are horrible at information spreading and with the time it takes to reply, but they are actually taking care of those affected pretty well. It all sucks and is frustrating but I just want my damn heli flying and get get past all this.

...but this one is the best statement so far:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677105&highlight=s800&page=13 - Post #195

"If you own S-800 requiring ESCs change you will get OSD transmitter free. Only the transmitter and only 5.8 Ghz 500mw; no receiver. Likely we will ship the transmitter with battery tray."

Even in this mess they are trying to reach into your pocket...get a transmitter free...but buy a receiver..........I like it

when you receive your free transmitter, sell it , should get $100 for it or buy an cheap receiver from Foxtechfpv for $25

ChrisViperM

when you receive your free transmitter, sell it , should get $100 for it or buy an cheap receiver from Foxtechfpv for $25

...I doubt I get a $ 100...value of DJI products is dropping by every minute...

Sorry, I know my statements don't conribute in a productive way to this problems....but it helps to cope with the frustration for being treated like a stupid schoolboy from this company...