DJI S800 Product Bulletin - ESC too high temperature

nisouck

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1682075

June 30, 2012

DJI S800 Product Bulletin

Dear Valued DJI Innovations customers:

DJI Innovations has determined that the Electronic Speed Controllers in certain S800 Hexacopters manufactured between May 2012 and June 28 2012 could have higher than expected temperature affecting an unknown number of units. Your confidence in our products is paramount; DJI Innovations is conducting a voluntary program to replace those parts free of charge.

Please email your order details to s800@dji-innovations.com to see if this bulletin applies; we will then issue an RMA number and instructions to send in your parts for repair.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but rest assured we will always do everything in our power to insure your safety and satisfaction.

DennyR

Probably the most damaging issue that DJI have had to date. No dealers ever mentioned this which is typical. If there is an issue with units made during those dates it applies to almost everything that has gone out of the door. The idea that we should send back complete arms and the wait for them to be returned in their own sweet time is bordering on a commercial swindle. They should be sending out replacement parts right now with a return collection deal. Or send out replacement ESC's and have dealers or experienced customers change the component.

having just emailed Eric Sun he wrote back and said this is not a recall. WHAT THE **** IS IT THEN? I suppose the more people who cash in the meantime the less parts they will have to replace. I doubt that they even know at this stage what the solution is.

I am pissed off with manufacturers who use customers money to expand their business development on the pre-order scam.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsun

Hmm, then don't buy a pre-order another time.

I don't have any issue with my s800 and z15.

I am just in that batch that might have a issue.

If I get 6 new replacement arms with new ESC's I will put them on and still be a happy customer.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Rsun the problem is that no one knows or can determine at the moment if its only Preorder production units or units produced afterwards that are effected ! Leaving out the question if it is acceptable even if only preorder units would suffer from ESC problems.

You should really consider to get you ESCs checked up or whatever is happening in this recall action when one sends the arms in. If you read the reports on RCgroups its not like the S800 flipped on the first flight but after 10 20 lipos pack being used up.

I can imagine that DJI would be willing to send you a new s800 if that happened and even a new z15 if damaged in the crash. But I doubt that they will send you a new NEX.

Boris

I seriously doubt DJI will replace any hardware failures after the release of their service bulletin.

To users that are still flying their S800 I advice them to no fly over crowds of people.

rsun how many inflight hours you have on the S800 to reach the conclusion that yours is safe?

DennyR

I think it would be very unlikely that DJI would replace a complete model even if it was proved that the ESC failure was the direct cause.

In legal terms the product is "unfit for purpose" as it was sold as a plug and play device.

Knowing if you have a defective product is better than not knowing until it is too late.

If a modification to the firmware or a component change was made after the pre-order batch was made then it was DJI's responsibility to inform everyone as a matter of urgent safety precaution.

@rsun the preorder scam is almost the same as appointing dealers all over the place who run a business from home as a way to get more fast money up front. There is a big difference from the hobbyist who will buy from such a place and then there is the pro users who quite naturally only want to deal with the factory and receive first hand information.

Buying a 10K MR is not going to make a pro shooter out of someone who is not already an accomplished pro. It will just end up getting the company a bad name and getting the whole MR movement banned everywhere.

rsun

Did never say that it is Safe to fly.
But please tell me what MR is safe.

It you want something you can call just a little bit of safe for AP you have to go for a heli.

Always have 80-90% chance for getting it down in autorotation.

I don't even trust my skyjib or ad6 in a flight and it is loaded with the best gear.

DennyR

Hmm, then don't buy a pre-order another time.

I don't have any issue with my s800 and z15.

I am just in that batch that might have a issue.

If I get 6 new replacement arms with new ESC's I will put them on and still be a happy customer.

If you were a pro shooter, which clearly you are not, then don't you think that getting replacement parts sometime in the distant future is highly unacceptable. If you made your living with this stuff it would need to work reliably everyday. Hmm.. on that.
I am sorry to be so blunt, but this issue is going to get worst before it gets better. As Jes pointed out this company needs some sorting out, even if it does have some brilliant electronic engineers. Public relations = zero. They regard these shortcomings as coincidental to any form of warranty.

kristiaj

Did never say that it is Safe to fly.
But please tell me what MR is safe.

It you want something you can call just a little bit of safe for AP you have to go for a heli.

Always have 80-90% chance for getting it down in autorotation.

I don't even trust my skyjib or ad6 in a flight and it is loaded with the best gear.

I dissagree. A multirotor with redundancy is safer than a single rotor heli! Provided that you have technical and pilot skills to build, test and handle it correct.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Yes, we have received the memo from DJI.
Please email your order details to s800@dji-innovations.com to see if this bulletin applies; we will then issue an RMA number and instructions to send in your parts for repair.
We will be one of the Authorized DJI Dist. taking care of the repairs in the USA.
You MUST email DJI to the above email and they will give you the RMA number.

As usual, we will do everything we can to help ALL DJI customers during this time.

It should be noted that not all S800 owners are having issue but to be on the safe side please contact DJI for the voluntary recall/repair period.

Thank you,

Robert Remund
UAVProducts.com

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Probably the most damaging issue that DJI have had to date. No dealers ever mentioned this which is typical. If there is an issue with units made during those dates it applies to almost everything that has gone out of the door. The idea that we should send back complete arms and the wait for them to be returned in their own sweet time is bordering on a commercial swindle. They should be sending out replacement parts right now with a return collection deal. Or send out replacement ESC's and have dealers or experienced customers change the component.

having just emailed Eric Sun he wrote back and said this is not a recall. WHAT THE **** IS IT THEN? I suppose the more people who cash in the meantime the less parts they will have to replace. I doubt that they even know at this stage what the solution is.

I am pissed off with manufacturers who use customers money to expand their business development on the pre-order scam.

what no one seems to consider is that these things can really hurt someone if they fail and then fall on an innocent bystander. best case scenario with poor quality is that you have to wait a few months to get your parts fixed.....worst case is someone else has a permanent injury, the owner gets sued and you're stuck trying to sue someone like DJI for their part in it. GUess what, they're in China, how's that lawsuit going to go?

i try to keep people aware of the dangers of buying too early or believing everything you read on forums sites but some people have to be first in line and this stuff happens over and over.

maybe if I keep trying to make statements like this i won't get sued when someone eventually gets hurt. :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I dissagree. A multirotor with redundancy is safer than a single rotor heli! Provided that you have technical and pilot skills to build, test and handle it correct.

i agree and i've got an xy8 coaxial quad with two motor out landings to back up your point. both landed with zero damage to the heli (other than the motor) or to people/property on the ground.

rsun

Did sell my DJI unit four days ago, but only to put the z15 on my skyjib.

Never liked this issue about the vibrations on it. Did balance engines and props and without a good result.

I am not going to use a unit that have so many vibs on it arms. Maybe if they were made of carbon.

I do like the price on a big hexa and I will be getting one when a new version will come in the future.

what no one seems to consider is that these things can really hurt someone if they fail and then fall on an innocent bystander. best case scenario with poor quality is that you have to wait a few months to get your parts fixed.....worst case is someone else has a permanent injury, the owner gets sued and you're stuck trying to sue someone like DJI for their part in it. GUess what, they're in China, how's that lawsuit going to go?

i try to keep people aware of the dangers of buying too early or believing everything you read on forums sites but some people have to be first in line and this stuff happens over and over.

maybe if I keep trying to make statements like this i won't get sued when someone eventually gets hurt. :)

Very well put, not to say that things shouldn't work as advertised, but there is safety issues with untried technology, and what we do with these flying machines matters, especially to everyone underneath them!

kristiaj

Yes, but there should never be anyone underneath a heli/multirotor in the first place! This is rule no.1 when operating professionally.

DennyR

The risk from having a departure is more aligned to the safety factor of the components used and testing facilities that goes with that schedule of work. With a few thousand hours of testing and with built-in safety features such as those utilized of the F1 Scout it can fly in places that most other stuff could not without a very much higher degree of risk. I don't think it might fail because I know that it wont. When you talk about having motor out landings that should tell you that you have a big problem because I have never had a motor fail yet. When the correct analysis is carried out there is no guesswork left to cause the unexpected. just because you are not over a crowd when a malfunction occurs does not mean that it wont hit some half a mile away. The cost of Motor and ESC's has little or no bearing on reliability as some of the best components that I have tested are actually some of the cheapest. The highest number of reported problems on the forums actually come from the so called high end expensive stuff. It is a bit like saying I'm down 10K on this heavy lift monstrosity so I can now be called a pro AP. Believe that and you will believe anything.

Dax

I was going to order one on Monday, but now i'll have to delay that order, too bad :upset:

zorba

I paid for mine on April/9/2012
I just sent in my info to DJI will wait and see.
Mean time does anyone know where I can get a replacement arm for the 800. I broke mine.

Cheers