Tau Labs CC3D release!

kloner

Aerial DP
do we buy the hardware seperate?

not sure lifter...... i went there earlier and tried to order one but it had austrailian addys only written all over it.

kloner

Aerial DP
nz, austrailia,,, confused,,, hahaha

lifter, this guy sell ya one?

http://multirotor.wordpress.com/about/

of course the case, don't think i'm going half in do ya......... gotcha, no problemo, thanks for the link. this open source stuff is gonna take some getting used to...... not that it's bad, just different

Stacky

Well I couldnt be arsed waiting for the wind to die and tried out the auto tune in the back yard where its partly sheltered by the trees etc. What a great feature, works well 1st up. Im one of those people who really doesnt want to spend hours messing with settings and loops and this was great. 2 batteries more testing and I can tell this is already a big improvement on the original CC board. I really should make an effort to mess with the settings so i can get the best out of the board. Great value FC.
Great start OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavinxmam

So I left my email so what's the deal with that . When I get the email what then quit my job run home get on the lap top and buy it before someone ekes does or will it be held for a certain time ? I mean damn if it's so great then make 100000 and make bank !!!! I'm in no hurry and I'm sure there's be plenty !!! So carry on

matwelli

nz, austrailia,,, confused,,, hahaha

lifter, this guy sell ya one

That's me . I only look after nz to help the project. Sold all mine using a mailing list , much less drama ( ask stacky)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

ChrisViperM

Is this some kind of joke....? Sold out everywhere.... The guys planning the production and distribution should get a big whack to wake up. Although I like the Open Source idea, but this is the reason I stayed (so far) away from this....too many nerds, complicated and confusing, amteurish marketing.....even if the products are good as hell, this always reminds me of brain-wanking.....maybe I'm to stupid to understand why a good product (even if it's Open Source) can't have a professional aproach in marketing terms.

Chris

Stacky

Chris I think the problems with the numbers available stem from finances available for manufacture which in turn are part of the whole non profit approach. I dont think this is a function of nerds but more a function of ideology getting in the way. Hard one to reconcile, I do admire the ethos but there does need to be balance. Unfortunately many people knew the boards would sell out and some predicted the website problems when the boards went on sale. I got lucky because I have bought 2 boards in the past which put me in the loop for the cc3d and I was able to get on a mailing list early.
I hate to think what its going to be like when the Revolution board from OP finally hits the marketplace, the demand for that is going to be huge and I bet the availability will be a fraction of the demand.

Stacky

Ha!, no Im in Auckland and with it being an El Nino or La Nina year ( I forget) and the fact Auckland is on an isthmus this spring is one of the windiest i can remember. I doubt it will ease before xmas.

That's me . I only look after nz to help the project. Sold all mine using a mailing list , much less drama ( ask stacky)

Thxs for the info Mat - no need to hassle you then....

Stacky must live in windy Wellington ??

ChrisViperM

Chris I think the problems with the numbers available stem from finances available for manufacture which in turn are part of the whole non profit approach. I dont think this is a function of nerds but more a function of ideology getting in the way. Hard one to reconcile, I do admire the ethos but there does need to be balance. Unfortunately many people knew the boards would sell out and some predicted the website problems when the boards went on sale. I got lucky because I have bought 2 boards in the past which put me in the loop for the cc3d and I was able to get on a mailing list early.
I hate to think what its going to be like when the Revolution board from OP finally hits the marketplace, the demand for that is going to be huge and I bet the availability will be a fraction of the demand.

Stacky, I am completely with you....but something is going completely wrong here (and in a lot of other Open Source projects). At one stage a few talented, liberal minded individuals share a great idea and get (virtually) together to bring this idea into life. From here to the "finished" product they can have any ideology they like, they can share information in which way they think is appropiate and they can have any ethos they think is good for them. BUT...at one stage they want to bring this "product" to the market, and it desn't have to be for greed and profit, but in order to do so you need some sort of structure, you need a concept how to "market" your idea and product, you have to know that things have to be pre-financed before you can "sell" them, you need to generate and build up cash.....you simply need a Business Plan ! Never can you have "R&D" and marketing done by the same people, this is a guarantee to fail. In this case....ooooohhh look what we have developed, but sorry, we failed to plan how to get it to the people who are interested. Either that, or they are not interested in having people use it.....but then at least they should say so. There is no in-between and no ideology involved, it either works out or not.

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
these guys are making these thing on credit cards from what i remember reading. They should be refinancing there houses, warehousing it....... I'd go all in as a us dealer if they had something like that in place, but they don't..... I've been following this along for a year, since invensense took there gyros back and just now finally got a chance at one..... ridiculous but if they work like everybody that pushes em says, were in for an rc gasm

jes1111

It is a pain, Chris - and everybody knows it - but right now there is no viable alternative. It's all financed from one person's pocket (...his credit card, actually)! Manufacturing the 500-odd boards in this batch cost around US$50,000 - so 1000 boards would have been US$100K - but would that have been enough? And what if it was too many? And that's not accounting for a huge batch of bad gyros that the manufacturer refused to credit - Dankers had to swallow that loss. It's a difficult problem.

Nevertheless, it is understood that we can't continue this way; especially, as Stacky says, with the Revolution board which is likely to be even more popular. So we are looking at changing the modus operandi for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
these guys are making these thing on credit cards from what i remember reading. They should be refinancing there houses, warehousing it....... I'd go all in as a us dealer if they had something like that in place, but they don't..... I've been following this along for a year, since invensense took there gyros back and just now finally got a chance at one..... ridiculous but if they work like everybody that pushes em says, were in for an rc gasm

There used to be two places in the US that sold the CC but I see that neither of them are on the OP distributors list and they don't list the boards anymore, not that there's anything to sell anyway. I managed to get one of the original CC boards which I still have but haven't used in a long time, was still a bit too quirky when I had it on a frame so I put it aside and never got back around to doing anything with it. From my perspective it's a good board and perhaps the 3D is better but certainly not to the degree that makes me want to deal with the BS required to get one.

If they were commercially available not only might there be capital to finance the production runs but there might actually be some funds for R&D of the more advanced board that's in the works, whatever they call it. On the other hand if they were readily available I guess it would just be yet another flight controller among many and nothing really special about it. With the current methodology and the added exclusivity of first putting them in the hands of "celebrity pilots" then making them virtually unavailable to the average Joe certainly adds to the mystique and makes them highly desirable regardless of how well they do or do not work. In many corporate circles that would be considered a well executed marketing plan to be followed up by a high volume production run, in this case it's just one person's ego trip messing up what could be one of the top tier flight controller systems IMO.

Unless or until the OP project has something to sell and it can be bought without becoming an OP groupie and religiously scanning the website and forum for hints that there may actually be boards for sale if you're lucky enough to see the annoucement and have a quick network connection, I'll stick to products that I can buy when I need or want them, I don't need the drama thanks...

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it is something of a mystery to me as well. i'll just leave it at that and hope the board lives up to buyers' expectations.

kloner

Aerial DP
there is definately two levels of rc distribution and 2 different types of people that put up with about anything to get what they want. on one hand you got these horizon/tower fed montrosity almost walmart like shops that you can have anything, as much as you want, just pay and play. Then theres the other side,,,, it is super previlant in fpv gear and even more so the deeper you get into it. I've waited 5 months for a dragonlink system,,,, after paying, then to find out it was total garbage for what i was trying to do...... I've waited months for immersion rc video transmitters, waited about as long for the immersion ezuhf, but now i have what i needed and it is working like it is suppose to, what a difference in my abilities.

The difference being the guys doing it being corporate or not. The problem with fpv in general and probably even these is the liability that comes as the risk outweighs alot of what smart college educated investors will risk. not fcc approved, not alot of the American acceptance labels..... I came from the land of i want it now, but have slowly creeped to the other side and waiting isn't so bad as long as i'm getting as advertised products.

there us distributors bailed when invensense took there chips and ran, the dealers were told they didn't know when thered be stock till they just gave up... i've been on innov8tives wait list for this since last december..... he never let me in on the release, i had to learn from some guy in Portugal....

jes1111

I'll stick to products that I can buy when I need or want them, I don't need the drama thanks...

... and that's what OpenPilot has always advised. There's never been any suggestion of competing for your business or anyone else's. The devs do what they do for the love of it. The hardware is "available when it's available".

One aspect that doesn't get mentioned often is the knock-on effect of the OP project within the industry as a whole. On the one hand, it sets a certain standard for commercial manufacturers - "keeps them honest", so to speak. And, as with any high-standard open source project, you might be surprised how much OP code ends up in the commercial products that you can buy "on demand". ;)

Bartman

^^ This.
They blather on about community, but if you cross that guy or any of his attack dogs your support just went down the drain.
BTDT.

Breezemont,
I didn't want to mention it but that's why they aren't here anymore. David was very flattered when we started the OP forum and they swept into the site in droves until one person said something they didn't appreciate, then they were gone, like they had never been here. It's very weird but consistent with a lot of other people's experiences with them.

I wish them and their customers the best, I really do but it's just not for me personally at this time.

Bartman

... and that's what OpenPilot has always advised. There's never been any suggestion of competing for your business or anyone else's. The devs do what they do for the love of it. The hardware is "available when it's available".

One aspect that doesn't get mentioned often is the knock-on effect of the OP project within the industry as a whole. On the one hand, it sets a certain standard for commercial manufacturers - "keeps them honest", so to speak. And, as with any high-standard open source project, you might be surprised how much OP code ends up in the commercial products that you can buy "on demand". ;)

Jes,
There's a limit to how much you can sell the "They do what they do for the love of it" stuff. If they did it for the love then they'd be a part of the larger community. I went to engineering school so I'm very familiar with the personality types and the oddball behaviors but their love seems to be limited strictly to their product line, which is fine, but let's not paint them to be something more than they really are.

Again, I wish them the best and hope their customers get everything they expect from the product.

Bart