ritewing ZXL

kloner

Aerial DP
definately diversifying. Coming soon to a film near you will be an xy8, hex, ZXL, ZII and miniZ fpv flicks....... will still keep the disco around for the riskier stuff, but i'm basically on a mission to fly nex-5 while flying fpv. i'd like to see a hundred miles an hour, but i know it's gonna take alot more than your run of the mill motor/esc setup...... someday, hopefuly soon it'll become a reality. I'm within a couple weeks of having all the models completed.

When i'm flying around the ocean and the ranges i'm flying to see all the sights, the planes are definately the way to go. but for the river and how i launch from boat, etc the mr's will still fly. Looking forward to the future

Hey, if you share with your disciples your new experiments as you always did, you get our blessings (Ha! Ha!). Seriously, good luck with your new challenges, I know for a fact that you will reach your goal! (100 m.p.h.) even if you have to put a rocket to it! A flying wing generates free lift as it moves through the air compare to a MR. You certainly will get more milleage/video out of the same battery. Let us know if your experience flying FPV with MR is useful with your new project. Sure isn't the same flying!

Rodge

kloner

Aerial DP
i.php

Danub

but i'm basically on a mission to fly nex-5 while flying fpv. i'd like to see a hundred miles an hour, but i know it's gonna take alot more than your run of the mill motor/esc setup...... someday, hopefuly soon it'll become a reality.
Fly a nex-5 at around 100mph?? whoa that will be AWESOME. . . . It took me 1kw to make a TL50 do 120mph in level flight w/o hd camera, only fpv gear.
Are you trying to do this with the ZXL??

kloner

Aerial DP
ben, if this was yours and you were going to use a nex5n, what lens would you have on it? keeping in mind i'll be low, fast and trying to frame something....

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Not that you asked me, but I would use the 16 pancake for weight reasons. If your nex came with the kit lens I would just use that since it kinda helps the camera sit in the front of the nose better with the extra length. The problem is the same with any AV, the wider, the more stable the image but the less it shows speed. If you want the video to feel fast you are gonna have to go above 35-50mm. So the perk in the kit lens is that you could see how far to 55mm you can push before the image goes to crap.

View attachment 7542

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 221

kloner

Aerial DP
is there one that has stabilizers or is that a pipe dream on something like this? i have the mount wide open out front. like where you took off half the nose, mines a board on the bottom with a hole for a 1/4 20,,, all flush with the foam your body is sitting on there with nothing where your ready made cam is

i'm not worried about making it look fast, getting low and close does that on it's own

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You should wrap your camera in plastic and then let it sit in some plaster o paris. make a fiberglass mold to conform to the nose of the thing so it isnt such a wind bucket. Cant wait to see what the video looks like.

tstrike

pendejo grande
As Jar Jar Binks said, "Yoosa onsa Crasy F****r!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That thing's HUGE! You should sell advertising on that bad boy.
Iris brings up a good point, how aerodynamic is the sony nex5 in 100 mph wind? This is going to be exciting to watch!

Oh yeah, forgot the 16 doesnt have OIS.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892390-REG/Sony_selp1650_16_50mm_F_3_5_5_6_Power_Zoom.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892387-REG/Sony_sel35f18_35mm_F_1_8_Optical_Steady.html

but for the dough I would just use the stock lens. It is pretty lightweight and there is no point in sticking more money than you have to. especially the way you fly! :)

I'd try that lens in the first link. It's light and would offer you a wide range of options for framing. Not too expensive either. Something that you have to watch out with on these more affordable lenses is that they have a sweet spot when it comes to the f-stop. We used a 16mm pancake that was a touch soft when set to wide open on the iris and focus set near infinity. Just run them through some tests.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm not sure it matters about aerodynamics or not. guess we will see if it has any quirks. I've been around a bunch of these and they always have gorpos hanging all over the nose, not any real problems from it. I've never seen one with a shroud...... but would be cool

this is what i fly now
795x407x002,P20,P281024x524,P29_795.jpg.pagespeed.ic._5C2g1_4gt.jpg

I did the bottom of the new one 1/4" lower and the cam sticks up a hair more than a GP, same width

Thanks Ben,,,,

kloner

Aerial DP
Dam you Yuri... it's alright, think i got a simple solution that'll at least let me sleep at night.

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

So twist of fait, this rigs getting Ruby to help smooth her ride out. The guy wants to fine tune on it, how that system works and he is going to help make it fly slow, really slow with spoliers, flapperons, all that crap. He actually was looking for somebody to get there flight data from. Apparently you download the logs, send em to the guy, he tweaks the firmware to your needs and send it back till your happy, and he nails it. also has RTL, loiter, assisted and manual flight, elevation hold, all kinds of crap that'll make this better. Thanks John

Tomstoy2

Totally insane, buddy! Yep, go for all the bells ans whistles. What you thinking of for a covering theme? Built a black and chrome plane one time, best looking bird I reve made. Not worth a **** seeing it in flight, but that's not going to matter with fpv, or even that size for that matter.

hjls3

"some very sweet sauce the RUBY is" says yoda to his young jedi. I cant wait. I think your nose solution is a good one. I wouldn't get too complicated. Of course I have never flown a Nex @ 100mph either. If failure then - free fall counts, i might have got close with a T2i.

kloner

Aerial DP
hahaha.... kit lens.

i.php

Gonna leave the battery bay totaly open, cover it mostly with velcro and move the packs as required. This things close now..... gonna start putting in the spars soon so it can dry while were at the river over the weekend.

I've been trying to decide what to do. Thought either like the Ritewing logo, red and black, but then thought again about making it solid red like the drawings he showed of this first,,, looked killer, but then i was thinking i'm an airbrush artist, why not make it something crazy......... i'll most likely do it a waving american flag.

016__537x800_.jpg

005__495x800_.jpg

600x800x003__600x800_20.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FJiNbUsA_2.jpg

800x529x007__800x529_.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GkCp-MKthO.jpg

gonna cover it in the clear laminate monokote stuff.. 2 layers of 5mil on the bottom one later of 3mil on top so a nice paint job makes since