XAircraft Super X on TBS Discovery

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ken that logic doesn't make sense to me since the other controllers are flying in a standard configuration mode when the frame is asymmetrical. What you wrote was my point though, how does the controller know the difference? Clearly it doesn't and most seem to work just fine given the motors are at least somewhere near the location of the specified configuration. Maybe, and this is really reaching , in an attempt to make things extremely stable they dialed in the cardinal points too precisely making it that much less tolerant to being off. ? I don't have your engineering bg so I guess it's pointless to try and grasp. But theoretically it confuses me.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken that logic doesn't make sense to me since the other controllers are flying in a standard configuration mode when the frame is asymmetrical. What you wrote was my point though, how does the controller know the difference? Clearly it doesn't and most seem to work just fine given the motors are at least somewhere near the location of the specified configuration. Maybe, and this is really reaching , in an attempt to make things extremely stable they dialed in the cardinal points too precisely making it that much less tolerant to being off. ? I don't have your engineering bg so I guess it's pointless to try and grasp. But theoretically it confuses me.

It comes down to this, usually there is what is known as a mixer table in the firmware that defines motor layout, some have very comprehensive tables covering a multitude of possible configurations, others very basic that only cover the common +, X, Y, etc. The mixer tells the flight controller how much and in what direction to speed up/slow down any one of the motors to accomplish things like yaw or maintaining level flight and is why you have to choose the frame configuration as part of the setup to tell the flight controller what part(s) of the table to use. Beyond that some controllers have more sophisticated sensors and firmware that are capable of compensating for asymmetrical layouts up to a point, DJI is one of the better systems for dealing with unbalanced frames in my experience. The other thing is an X/Y frame is closer to a symmetrical X layout than not as the motors are equally distant from the center point even if they are closer to each other on the side vs. across the frame. On a Discovery frame the front arms are pulled back and spaced wider across the frame than the rear arms which are closer together across so the front and rear motors being at different distances and angles from the center point apply different amounts of "leverage" when the same amount of force is applied by increasing/decreasing motor speed. It is the firmware's ability to compensate for this difference that determines how well a flight controller will work on asymmetrical frames.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Do you try to place the FC in the middle of the average measured center of the motors or the CG of the craft? Seems by what you're saying the average middle of the motors would make more sense. I've seen what a mixing table looks like. I actually remember my 1st Xaircraft had the hex table all screwed up and i had to manually fix it.

The AD1 might not be considered an asymmetrical frame if the distances to the motors is all relatively equal... I'll be trying it on that frame here soon..

VIQuad

AD1 - I'd be curious to see what you find. I was told it probably will not work.

But never know til you try. I'd take SX over Naza anyday.

Report back when you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

VIQuad

Does anyone know if the SuperX works on an asymmetrical frame?

Maybe this is something l need to ask XAircraft, but I wonder if they'd be truthful in telling, seeing that they'd rather have you buy one of there frames.

Hmmm?

Is the new Scope an asymmetrical frame?

I know they do not show an asymmetrical frame choice in setup of the FC, only a standard quad configuration, so maybe that's answers mine own question...ha:highly_amused:

Zirt57

I'm really not sure why the SuperX (up till now) didn't support an asymmetrical frame. Maybe it does in the new firmware 1.0.8. Anyway, I'm pretty sure if it doesn't support it, it will at some future point. Check out the below video of a frame that XAircraft tested on for quite a long time. The TAGV. They had two units, a TAGV4 and a TAGV6. It's the TAGV4 in the video.

https://vimeo.com/82592020

Jeff

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Sorry I didn't see this earlier Ken. Very nice write-up and super clean install! Hanging around here has had a very positive effect on you!:highly_amused::highly_amused:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
RTRyder,

I tried to send you a private message - but it says your inbox is full (I believe this is related to the hack).

Wondered if you are still making the SuperX GPS holder and if so, how do I go about getting one?

thanks!

scott

Musky78

I just put a SuperX on my TBS Disco last night (did not do any tuning) coming off a perfectly working NAZA M V1. Out of the box the gain settings are all set to 1.0 and on my initial test hover the Discovery did not like it - I had a lot of oscillation. I will have to play with it more tonight to see what I need to do rid the oscillation. Any thoughts?
-BG

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm on the new 1.08 w/selected frame as Xcope.
-BG

Damn, I thought that FW update was solving some of those issues. I'm assuming that you are confident the motors and props are balanced. But worth a double check for oscillation I guess.

Keep us updated.

Musky78

Yeah, they are balanced - she flew fine on my Naza M setup. Just made the switch to SuperX. I want to play with the gains before I give a definitive answer and due a re-calibration before I say it doesn't work. I was just hoping it would work out of the box.